GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Re: The American Godzilla: Positives

Post by Showa Gyaos »

- It was designed with careful detail, and the CGI monster was realistically made, even for this time period.

- The movie spawned the Godzilla Millennium series.

- The movie was a worldwide success, grossing over $300,000,000 in theaters worldwide.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

The music is excellent, a very worthy addition to the series.
The scene where Nick tells Audrey "Good luck with your new career, I really think you have what it takes!". She had it coming.
Showa Gyaos wrote:- The movie was a worldwide success, grossing over $300,000,000 in theaters worldwide.
I'm so tired of hearing this. GINO was a commercial failure of epic proportions. I don't get this "worldwide success" so many people are strung up.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Ethan wrote:I'm so tired of hearing this. GINO was a commercial failure of epic proportions. I don't get this "worldwide success" so many people are strung up.
Okay, I worded it wrong. The movie didn't do well in America, but the worldwide revenue was something that never happened before. How many Godzilla films ever received such revenue, let alone have a worldwide release?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Re: The American Godzilla: Negatives

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Tyler wrote:I hate the idea of Godzilla being asexual. It's the perfect example of people not being able to except something very simple and having to make it 'realistic.' He found an egg. It's another member of his species. He's the only one around, so he takes care of the little guy. Nope, that's silly bullshit. Let's make him a she-male! That's cooler than atomic breath and a monster fight! :roll:
I'm totally with you on that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

They set there expectation's to high for the first movie, They expected Godzilla to open with a 90+ million weekend surpassing ''The Lost World: Jurassic park'' which was there first mistake. It only opened with 40$ million, not to mention the dreadful or disappointing reviews an word of mouth... To be honest im glad it bombed an i hope any involved with this lost there job because they only cared for the money an not the product an it showed.

While Godzilla might be an established franchise this was the 1st American film an should not have been expected to surpass a sequel to a popular franchise. It was as stupid as someone saying ''Godzilla 2012 will Surpass Batman 3 or Star-Trek 2'' it won't no matter how good it is.

Anyways the only good thing Zilla 1998 did was bring in a lot of New Fan's onto the Japanese Franchise, an gave me a funny Taco-Bell commercial. Other then that it was a complete disaster.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Also Lost World: JP made more money then G98 did since it was a sequel to a very popular movie, and the first JP is known to be a great movie. But $40 million on a opeaing weekend is still a lot of money neverless, and better then most late 90's movies made.
? $40 million is an ok opening. Not great, but not a flop.
bleep bloop

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

#3. The special effects were (obviously) much better than any of the Toho Godzilla films.
'Cept for GvsBio (and a few tohers actually). Frankly, Biollante is at least as intimidating and realistic a creation than GINO. And the movie was made on 1/15 of GINO's budget,
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Those are some cool pictures you found Tyler. Granted, the movie is still garbage but those are some cool behind-the-scenes photos.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'd like a mod to close this topic. After rewatching the film for the third time in two weeks, I'm proud to declare there are officially no positives to this movie. Not a single one.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I see no point on locking this thread?
No point? It's pretty simple - because there ARE NO positives in this movie.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Hellspawn28 wrote:That may be for you, but not for everyone else.
Look at the posts, lol

Everyone pretty much agrees Jean Reno's performance is the only redeeming aspect, and even Reno's performance didn't quite hold up this time around.

And besides, I started the thread. I can ask for it to be locked if I wish.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Well if not for the cartoon, old Zilla's image would really forever live in disgust. I mean Zilla jr triumphed where movie Zilla didn't work out to well, of course I do find it weird that the millenium series tried meld it into GMK and Final Wars

strahl86
Young Farmer

Post by strahl86 »

The only thing I can think of is that it spawned a pretty decent cartoon. Other than that...

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Another positive for me was that it spawned Godzilla the Series which I like a lot.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

GTS has virtually nothing to do with the movie. It's not a positive. And most of this thread is people saying 'GTS'.

Just more proof this pile of shit is irredeemable.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

JVM wrote:GTS has virtually nothing to do with the movie. It's not a positive. And most of this thread is people saying 'GTS'.

It takes place after the movie.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

GodzillaDude wrote:
JVM wrote:GTS has virtually nothing to do with the movie. It's not a positive. And most of this thread is people saying 'GTS'.

It takes place after the movie.
That's about it though. While it's a loose sequel to the film, it's not a part of the film.

To me, this is the same as saying Godzilla vs. Megagurius is awesome because we got GMK.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

That parallel doesn't quite work, since GMK is not a sequel to Megaguirus. More like, "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla are good because they led to Godzilla vs. Destoroyah."
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Mini-Godzilla wrote:That parallel doesn't quite work, since GMK is not a sequel to Megaguirus. More like, "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla are good because they led to Godzilla vs. Destoroyah."
You're right, that's a good point. I mostly picked on GxM because it's one of the least popular movies on the boards, lol, while GMK is definitely the second best in the series.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

So definite that I totally disagree!
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!