GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by tbeasley »

The series wasn't cancelled per se. Some episodes weren't aired but only 40 episodes were ever commissioned and in production concurrently with the movie. That's all they were ever going to make.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

tbeasley wrote:That's all they were ever going to make.
Unless it was a runaway success, but yeah. I think it would have taken a lot of lucky breaks to get another season out of it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:
Unless it was a runaway success, but yeah. I think it would have taken a lot of lucky breaks to get another season out of it.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, Terasawa, but didn't Godzilla: The Series run for two seasons (1998-99 and 1999-2000) which, if the episodes had been shown correctly (i.e., in order of occurrence, not the broadcast order we got), would've been 20 in the first season and 20 in the second one, for a total of 40?

I just noticed that's more than most Hanna-Barbera cartoon series seasons got back in the day (13 at least (in the case of their version of the character, which was called simply Godzilla (and which also ran for two seasons (1978-79 and 1979-80), with that number of episodes in each season, for a total of 26)) and 16 at most (most, if not all, of their 1960s and 1970s cartoon series got that number and they only lasted, at best, one season each)).
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, Terasawa, but didn't Godzilla: The Series run for two seasons (1998-99 and 1999-2000) which, if the episodes had been shown correctly (i.e., in order of occurrence, not the broadcast order we got), would've been 20 in the first season and 20 in the second one, for a total of 40?
The series began production while the TriStar film was shooting, as tbeasley said. The series order from Fox was for 40 episodes. So from Sony's end, the production was as if they were working on one season; Fox decided to divide the 40 episodes into two TV seasons.

SciFi Japan: The Ultimate Guide to GODZILLA: THE SERIES
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

mikelcho wrote:I just noticed that's more than most Hanna-Barbera cartoon series seasons got back in the day (13 at least (in the case of their version of the character, which was called simply Godzilla (and which also ran for two seasons (1978-79 and 1979-80), with that number of episodes in each season, for a total of 26)) and 16 at most (most, if not all, of their 1960s and 1970s cartoon series got that number and they only lasted, at best, one season each)).

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
The series began production while the TriStar film was shooting, as tbeasley said. The series order from Fox was for 40 episodes. So from Sony's end, the production was as if they were working on one season; Fox decided to divide the 40 episodes into two TV seasons.

SciFi Japan: The Ultimate Guide to GODZILLA: THE SERIES
Thanks, that helps a lot.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

tbeasley wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I just noticed that's more than most Hanna-Barbera cartoon series seasons got back in the day (13 at least (in the case of their version of the character, which was called simply Godzilla (and which also ran for two seasons (1978-79 and 1979-80), with that number of episodes in each season, for a total of 26)) and 16 at most (most, if not all, of their 1960s and 1970s cartoon series got that number and they only lasted, at best, one season each)).
What I just said, in my own way, was that Godzilla: The Series had more episodes per season than most other cartoon series got.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

mikelcho wrote:]Correct me if I'm wrong here, Terasawa, but didn't Godzilla: The Series run for two seasons (1998-99 and 1999-2000) which, if the episodes had been shown correctly (i.e., in order of occurrence, not the broadcast order we got), would've been 20 in the first season and 20 in the second one, for a total of 40?

I just noticed that's more than most Hanna-Barbera cartoon series seasons got back in the day (13 at least (in the case of their version of the character, which was called simply Godzilla (and which also ran for two seasons (1978-79 and 1979-80), with that number of episodes in each season, for a total of 26)) and 16 at most (most, if not all, of their 1960s and 1970s cartoon series got that number and they only lasted, at best, one season each)).
That's a lot of parenthesis

Even layered parenthesis
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

eabaker wrote:I think that's actually a pretty popular opinion. Most fans seem to consider the show a silver lining around the cloud of a movie.
Yeah, I don't see how this is an unpopular opinion.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Okay, this is gonna be a wall-And I am sorry, but I wanna try and just justify my tangent and not come across as dense...

While I'm sure people are sick of my harping and defense in regards to the overgrown Iguana, I will admit I think he was a breath of fresh air from the usual Godzilla. Granted, G98 is not really Godzilla in spirit or message, nor in design-but personally, I was glad we got a different version with different abilities and a unique look. I don't think I'd have been thrilled to see Stan Winston's Godzilla on screen, even though it was more faithful. To me, Winston's design and pitch felt kinda generic-tried and true, sure, but still kind of usual Godzilla fare that, in my mind, didn't set it apart from its Japanese counterpart.

Does that mean he's a GOOD Godzilla? Not really, no-just a unique one that's a nice break from the mold. Maybe I'm lowbrow for thinking this and not getting the morals or imagery behind Godzilla's purpose (ie the arrogance of man, the destruction of Nuclear Weapons, nature incarnate) but after a while, some of the Godzillas just kinda blend together. That, and like, after a while...I feel like that message was sort of forgotten a little bit. The Showa series becoming much lighter and softer in tone for one, Heisei becoming much grittier and focused on scale and size, as well as various spinoffs or appeal to younger audiences with stuff like Godzilland, Chibi Godzilla, and more recently Shin Godzilla appearing in Shin Chan's cartoon. Obviously, this isn't to say that Godzilla's message is being replaced, or that the big guy CAN'T be in different roles or what not-but I think it shows that he's evolved and grown to distance himself at least a little bit from that message, if only in general audience's minds. Hell, in a lot of places around the world, GODZILLA 1998 is the one true Godzilla flick, with Legendary's and Toho's work being considered subpar or inferior-because, in all honesty, most people just see Godzilla as a giant, fire breathing lizard and not an obelisk of nuclear majesty. And no amount of beating the message over their heads is likely to change that.

I don't think that's even a bad thing-there's definitely a charm in silly or 'So Bad It's Good' Monster/Kaiju movies (as many fans or defenders of this movie will attest to, as would defenders of other lower quality or more maligned titles) and honestly, I think the charm or intrigue or the fact that people can look at a big rubbery suit or a CGI or Animatronic Dinosaur/Ape/Lizard/Bug/Bird/Alien/Whatever and have a fun time with it is what's kept the industry as a whole alive, because I doubt people look at Godzilla dancing or fighting a flying Mechagodzilla with visible strings and see a deep, underlying story or struggle. And that's fine! That's what makes the genre so unique, that there's things to cater to every taste and description, and that at the end of the day we can just have a good laugh at the faults or problems in the stuff we enjoy and still love it.

Personally, for an actual Tristar Godzilla, go for the Animated Series, it's much better; And for a good American Godzilla overall? Legendary Pictures did him best-unique but recognizable design, awesome take on the roar and powers, and just an overhaul that makes him stand out and not seem like a carbon copy of Toho's Godzilla. But in summation, I'm glad we got GINO, if only for the fact he was something different, even if not necessarily GOOD.

(edit)
5/20/2020; Happy 22nd Birthday, ToraGoji!
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Wed May 20, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

On another forum there was a discussion of films and CGI and stuff, not important. But multiple people who aren't fans of the character like this movie a lot more than Legendary's films, which they thought was boring.

Felt so weird to read that.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I like to watch the movie when I’m feeling high (not really but similar). Gets a good reaction out of me.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

VoyagerGoji wrote:I like to watch the movie when I’m feeling high (not really but similar). Gets a good reaction out of me.
I think I'd have to face two joints and a fifth of Fireball to endure this two and a half hour pile of rotten fish.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Vakanai wrote:On another forum there was a discussion of films and CGI and stuff, not important. But multiple people who aren't fans of the character like this movie a lot more than Legendary's films, which they thought was boring.

Funnily enough, this movie is incredibly popular outside of the US and Japan, where it's considered the one true Godzilla film; Godzilla 2014's limited release saw only mild success, and the Japanese Flicks are often seen as cheap knock-offs.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Funnily enough, this movie is incredibly popular outside of the US and Japan, where it's considered the one true Godzilla film; Godzilla 2014's limited release saw only mild success, and the Japanese Flicks are often seen as cheap knock-offs.
Why did this make me feel irrational anger?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think that would be pretty difficult to prove. Sounds very anecdotal to me, possibly generational as well. I mean, hell, I know quite a few people in their 20s and 30s who have never seen a Godzilla movie besides the 1998 film. One of my friends hated the 2014 movie and lamented it wasn't like GINO.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:On another forum there was a discussion of films and CGI and stuff, not important. But multiple people who aren't fans of the character like this movie a lot more than Legendary's films, which they thought was boring.

Funnily enough, this movie is incredibly popular outside of the US and Japan, where it's considered the one true Godzilla film; Godzilla 2014's limited release saw only mild success, and the Japanese Flicks are often seen as cheap knock-offs.
Can you give me an example of what specific countries you're talking about? I suppose that's interesting though, and I can see it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:I think that would be pretty difficult to prove. Sounds very anecdotal to me, possibly generational as well. I mean, hell, I know quite a few people in their 20s and 30s who have never seen a Godzilla movie besides the 1998 film. One of my friends hated the 2014 movie and lamented it wasn't like GINO.
Ugh. I'm 33 and this makes me irrationally upset.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I remember watching a local news clip of filming the 2014 film in Hawaii and one of the locals, a young lady, was asked "Have you seen any Godzilla movies?" and she said something to the effect of "I remember the old one" and even though she didn't clarify, I knew in my heart she was talking about the 98 film, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:

Can you give me an example of what specific countries you're talking about? I suppose that's interesting though, and I can see it.
In some chats I had with Vrahno, he mentioned that GODZILLA 1998, while not necessarily 'beloved', generally got a good deal more praise for its effects and so on than the old Japanese Flicks in Hungary. He goes in more depth here
https://www.deviantart.com/vrahno/journ ... -756246706

But the basic gist is, that in places where Godzilla isn't localized or well known, the global release of G'98 meant that it became more ubiquitous as 'Godzilla' than the real deal.