GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by Maritonic »

Kenpachiro Hirata wrote:It's a good fun dumb blockbuster. If it wasn't called "Godzilla" I'd apretiate it much more.
But at least the animated series was cool.
I look at it like a "Zilla" film, not a Godzilla film. And yeah, the animated series was the best thing to come out of this film, in my opinion. Great show.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

If anything, this film at least had a great score, a good atmosphere, and fun monster scenes. That, and I feel that this version of Godzilla has the best roar of any incarnation to date. It takes everything I love about the 1962-1975 roar and remasters it perfectly.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gerdzerl wrote:If anything, this film at least had a great score, a good atmosphere, and fun monster scenes.
I agree about the score and atmosphere, which really help make the first half hour or so quite watchable. But fun monster scenes? Have to agree to disagree on that one. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

eabaker wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:If anything, this film at least had a great score, a good atmosphere, and fun monster scenes.
I agree about the score and atmosphere, which really help make the first half hour or so quite watchable. But fun monster scenes? Have to agree to disagree on that one. :)
Fair enough, that's probably just my nostalgia speaking for me, lol. :lol:

I guess it might be my own personal bias towards the designs for Godzilla and his offspring and the cinematography for them that might be why I like the monster scenes? I'm probably easily amused given I enjoy monster scenes in films if the aesthetics of said monster designs and the scenes they're in strike a particular chord with me, even if they actually suck from a critical/well-educated point of view. Probably why I enjoy 80's B-horror movies so much more than I would if I were well versed in academic film theory. :P

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gerdzerl wrote:Probably why I enjoy 80's B-horror movies so much more than I would if I were well versed in academic film theory. :P
No, I assure you, those two things are not mutually exclusive. :D
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'll be revisiting it sometime this year, yeah. It's been a while since I've seen it, and I don't know that my little brother and sister have ever seen more than bits and pieces of it, years ago.

It sucks horribly, yes, but I didn't know that when I was nine, and nostalgia keeps me coming back to it every so often. And it really does have its moments, most of them early on. Regarding the quality of the monster scenes, it does have Godzilla's initial 'attack' on New York, which offered a rare look at what a kaiju attack looks like from street level.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I like it in the respect that it's fun to make fun of.

I'm never actually going to watch it again if I have any choice in the matter.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I'm not going to lie nostalgia is a BIG reason why I love this film. All the hype and ads for the film hit me when I was 6 so I was the perfect audience for it and my first Godzilla toy was a Trendmasters G98 figure. But I do think that there is ALOT in this film that gets overlooked. As mentioned here the soundtrack and atmosphere are amazing. David Arnold is one of my favorite composers and the constant rain and darkness really adds an almost noir feel to it which is unique for a kaiju film. Jean Reno steals this film and while its not really played up as much as Biollante I love the storyline of espionage and almost a cold war happening in the background of a kaiju attack. Also the special effects really are great. If you've only seen the DVD I HIGHLY recommend picking up the Mastered In 4K Blu Ray. Apparently they did more than just upscale the film that went back and reprocessed the film.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Good grief, it really is 20 years this year, isn't it?

...Well, I'm overdue to listen to the Rifftrax again... :lol:

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

I'm going to post a lot of content on my website for the 20th anniversary. Gonna scan in HD behind the scenes pictures and all that jazz. Possibly produce a free-read PDF format book on the making of the film.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

eabaker wrote:
No kidding, he just runs constantly like a little bitch. While the incompetently--------- military somehow misses him at every turn.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

It's the 20th anniversary of one of, if not, the most polarizing Godzilla film to date!

Happy 20th ya big tuna head!
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltimateDitto wrote:one of, if not, the most polarizing Godzilla film to date!
I would not put this near the top of the "most polarizing" list. While it has its fans, there aren't very many who love it, and while not everyone absolutely hates it, there's a pretty broad consensus that its not a very well written movie.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, GMK, Final Wars, Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla all strike me as far more polarizing.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

eabaker wrote:
UltimateDitto wrote:one of, if not, the most polarizing Godzilla film to date!
I would not put this near the top of the "most polarizing" list. While it has its fans, there aren't very many who love it, and while not everyone absolutely hates it, there's a pretty broad consensus that its not a very well written movie.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, GMK, Final Wars, Godzilla (2014) and Shin Godzilla all strike me as far more polarizing.
I think in terms of the debates its caused between fans (not saying that is bad just that people keep discussing it) makes it one of the most polarizing films IMO. People debate wither or not the monster in the film is actually Godzilla. The only other film like this is Shin Godzilla.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I could not initially find this thread, so I posted a 20th anniversary notice on the fixing this movie thread instead.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I'm a bit late, but I decided to quickly doodle this:

godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Thank Legendary for the Monsterverse films.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

godzilla98rules wrote:I'm a bit late, but I decided to quickly doodle this:
"That's a lot of cake."
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

godzilla98rules wrote:I'm a bit late, but I decided to quickly doodle this:

Cute! :huge:

Meanwhile, I'm at work on a big retrospective book for the film's 20th anniversary -- should be done by mid-July -- if I'm lucky I'll find a publisher and it'll become a big coffee table book filled with behind-the-scenes info and pictures. At worst, it'll end up online
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

A surprisingly lengthy article where Dean Devlin reflects on G98: http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-writer ... ears-later
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock