Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

Post by eabaker »

Space Hunter M wrote:THIS IS A BIG SCOOP. BIG SCOOP.
https://www.fandompost.com/2016/05/19/k ... -godzilla/
Alas, it sounds like they're only releasing the Japanese cut and the international dub, but not the New World cut.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

A step in the right direction. Now we just need to get the North American distribution rights of all the films under one roof. Highest video and audio quality possible with hours upon hours of special features. Certainly wouldn't be cheap.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

Space Hunter M wrote:THIS IS A BIG SCOOP. BIG SCOOP.
https://www.fandompost.com/2016/05/19/k ... -godzilla/
YES!!! :huge:
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

OUT OF LICENSING HELL YOU GO! RISE! RISE! RIIIIISE!

Finally! A legitimate release of this film after just over thirty years! it's been long enough!
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm excited! But also curious...

I'll have to see what the print quality is like and whether or not the English version is Godzilla 1985, which I very much doubt. Only then can I consider replacing my bootleg copy.

But again, I'm super happy that with this announcement, all Godzilla films have seen a Region 1 DVD release. Now, if Kraken can just acquire Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla...

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^It's about fucking time!!!

Including the international dub instead of New World Pictures' edited version is probably how they managed to solve the whole rights issue.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

An official release of the Japanese cut here in the US has been long overdue. Glad to see it's on the way.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

LegendZilla wrote:Including the international dub instead of New World Pictures' edited version is probably how they managed to solve the whole rights issue.
I imagine it's more than that, if you read this article, it sounds like the interest has been there a long time for rights to this release, if it were just do we include '85 or not, I imagine Toho would have just said screw it and signed over Return only like they are now. My guess is that whatever legal issues exist, they complicated giving rights to any version of this film.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2016 ... releasing/

This article is much better and has some interesting insight about '85 and something I never considered nor noticed mentioned in discussion here, but Chris Young's score, while allowed to be used in Godzilla '85, seems under it's own rights holding now and isn't directly tied with rights to Godzilla '85, so yet another thing to work out to try and get that one on official release. It's a shame they borrowed his music rather than cutting something together, sure cheaper and faster, but still, just throws another issue out to deal with. Seems like reality is, as little money as there is to be made on Godzilla home video, we will likely never see anyone make the effort and pay the cost to appease everyone necessary to release '85.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

We all now as far removed from The Return of Godzilla as The Return of Godzilla was from the original 1954 film. It's amazing how time flies by so fast isn't it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:We all now as far removed from The Return of Godzilla as The Return of Godzilla was from the original 1954 film. It's amazing how time flies by so fast isn't it.
Farther removed by a couple of years, in fact.

I think what freaks me out more is that we're creeping up on 20 years since G2K.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Even scarier, the next big birthday for Godzilla will be 70.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I've never seen defcon 4. But, I will saying seeing ROG for the first time a few months ago, I felt the submarine scene lacking that score in the 85 cut was rather, dull. I thought that piece complimented that sequence very well. I love it.
Last edited by Stevo_1985 on Sun May 22, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

kamilleblu wrote:A step in the right direction. Now we just need to get the North American distribution rights of all the films under one roof. Highest video and audio quality possible with hours upon hours of special features. Certainly wouldn't be cheap.
THIS. And we still need a U.S. release for Japan's cut of King Kong vs Godzilla.
eabaker wrote:

I think what freaks me out more is that we're creeping up on 20 years since G2K.
Way to make me feel old, I was born the same year Biollante came out. -_-
GFAN198423 wrote:Even scarier, the next big birthday for Godzilla will be 70.
*shrug*

Batman turned 75 recently, so has Kong I think.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Kong is actually 83 this year.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
Yeah? I was 10 when Biollante came out, so think how old you just made me feel...

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I remember Biollante being exciting because it was a new Godzilla movie to see. I was born in '83 and didn't get into the movies til I was 4, so by that point, even '85 had already come out.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Living Corpse wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:A step in the right direction. Now we just need to get the North American distribution rights of all the films under one roof. Highest video and audio quality possible with hours upon hours of special features. Certainly wouldn't be cheap.
THIS. And we still need a U.S. release for Japan's cut of King Kong vs Godzilla.
eabaker wrote:

GFAN198423 wrote:Even scarier, the next big birthday for Godzilla will be 70.
*shrug*

Batman turned 75 recently, so has Kong I think.
Heh, I was born the year GMK came out.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

This movie is so 80s haha Not in a bad way and it's still a good movie but man it is really 80s.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

All new power, brand new destruction! Ha. I was making my way out of the womb when this was released and happens to be my favorite.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla