Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

Post by Arrow »

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's just trolling. Ignore him, guys. Let's not derail the thread.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Arrow wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure he's just trolling. Ignore him, guys. Let's not derail the thread.
Agreed lol.

But regardless of trolling or what, a monster film doesnt always need a second monster for the main monster to fight. Some movies work better off the fact of not having a second monster in the film so more focus and story can be devolped with the one monster and/or Characters in the film.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Spacegodzillagalaxy wrote:
Hotrod93 wrote:
Arrow wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure he's just trolling. Ignore him, guys. Let's not derail the thread.
Agreed lol.

But regardless of trolling or what, a monster film doesnt always need a second monster for the main monster to fight. Some movies work better off the fact of not having a second monster in the film so more focus and story can be devolped with the one monster and/or Characters in the film.
And how much development was put into THE RETURN OF GODZILLA? I always thought the characters in that movie weren't the least bit interesting. Of the 3 Godzilla films were Godzilla didn't fight another monster, GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS! is the only one that shines.
Wasnt just talking about Godzilla Returns, The movie also makes up by introducing Super X and having it nearly killing Godzilla.

Sure the characters werent some of the best at times but parts like the ending were you see the emotion in their eyes when Godzilla is falling into the Volcano and just knowing that they were thinking "Oh god what have we done" even though Godzilla just destoryed the city. It makes them seem human and you can connect to them.

Please tell me you werent also counting GINO as one of the films >_<
Last edited by Hotrod93 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Spacegodzillagalaxy wrote:
Hotrod93 wrote:Please tell me your werent also counting GINO as one of the films >_<
Sure, why not? After all, the movie is called "GODZILLA".
You just cant compare it bro, you just cant lol.

Godzilla KOTM: Had a meaning behind it and followed by an entire series following it.
Godzilla Returns: Set up for the Heisei series

GODZILLA: A reskinned version of another monster film with another monsters name.
Last edited by Hotrod93 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Anyway, I watched the film over the Thanksgiving break. I know I trash this movie a lot (and probably will in the future), but the special effects work is probably among the strongest in the Heisei series. I still remain highly impressed with the Tokyo set to this day and Return boasts my favorite incarnation of the Super-X. The musical score is among my favorite in the series. And I do appreciate the attempt to take the character "back to his roots" (even if Godzilla's depiction in the film is completely off compared to the actions of the original Godzilla in 1954). Watching the film again and comparing it to Toho's half-assed efforts in the 1990s makes a world of difference. I still don't like this movie, it's one of my least favorite Godzilla films, and I still find Godzilla vs. Biollante to be an average film that's become ridiculously overrated, but - at the very least - there's an element of effort that seemed to have gone into this film (and Biollante) that is missing from the rest of the Heisei Godzilla films and a good amount of the Millennium film as well. I can applaud Return for that, at the very least.

But, when it comes right down to it, I'd rather watch Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, as bad as it is. Is it an inferior film? Yes. It is. But I find it to be a lot more fun, if only because of the added presence of another monster.
tl;dr version:

PROS - excellent special effects/miniatures (the Tokyo set in particular), musical score, concept and an actual effort put into the movie
CONS - bland and unmemorable human characters, mediocre acting, Godzilla suit, depiction of the Godzilla character, pacing

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Arrow wrote:Anyway, I watched the film over the Thanksgiving break. I know I trash this movie a lot (and probably will in the future), but the special effects work is probably among the strongest in the Heisei series. I still remain highly impressed with the Tokyo set to this day and Return boasts my favorite incarnation of the Super-X. The musical score is among my favorite in the series. And I do appreciate the attempt to take the character "back to his roots" (even if Godzilla's depiction in the film is completely off compared to the actions of the original Godzilla in 1954). Watching the film again and comparing it to Toho's half-assed efforts in the 1990s makes a world of difference. I still don't like this movie, it's one of my least favorite Godzilla films, and I still find Godzilla vs. Biollante to be an average film that's become ridiculously overrated, but - at the very least - there's an element of effort that seemed to have gone into this film (and Biollante) that is missing from the rest of the Heisei Godzilla films and a good amount of the Millennium film as well. I can applaud Return for that, at the very least.

But, when it comes right down to it, I'd rather watch Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, as bad as it is. Is it an inferior film? Yes. It is. But I find it to be a lot more fun, if only because of the added presence of another monster.
tl;dr version:

PROS - excellent special effects/miniatures (the Tokyo set in particular), musical score, concept and an actual effort put into the movie
CONS - bland and unmemorable human characters, mediocre acting, Godzilla suit, depiction of the Godzilla character, pacing
Its pretty much a movie you gotta go in with an open mind and ready for so monster action, Not for a wonderful story or characters.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Im not going to get in a flame war over something as stupid as this.

All im saying and everyone else around here is that GODZILLA isnt a true Godzilla movie and cant be compare to other Godzilla films when it comes to "Stand alone".

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

GODZILLA is technically a Godzilla film. It was approved by Toho as a Godzilla film. That's the problem with it and where the acronym GINO (Godzilla In Name Only) comes from. The monster is so off the mark, however, that fans reject it. If Godzilla had been... Godzilla, people wouldn't have any trouble in accepting it as a Godzilla film. It wouldn't have been a good Godzilla film, but still.
Hotrod93 wrote:Its pretty much a movie you gotta go in with an open mind and ready for so monster action, Not for a wonderful story or characters.
But the "monster action" the film delivers is devoid of any actual energy, IMO. There are some things I like, such as Godzilla's obliteration of the army when he rises out of Tokyo Bay. But the majority of the monster's rampage, where a sleepy-eyed Godzilla accidentally destroys property before coming upon the Super-X, is very underwhelming. Even the battle between the two is... okay. I don't find it to be very suspenseful, seeing as there's no reason to even care about the people inside the machine, but a battle's a battle. That's a big problem for me when it comes to the movie. For a film that tries so hard to be Godzilla, the depiction of the monster itself is so different. The original Godzilla blasted everything - buildings, people - provoked and unprovoked. He was a true war machine. This Godzilla didn't do that. He reminded me of some animal who stumbled ashore. I didn't feel the threat Godzilla presented to Japan like I did in 1954.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Arrow wrote:The original Godzilla blasted everything - buildings, people - provoked and unprovoked. He was a true war machine. This Godzilla didn't do that. He reminded me of some animal who stumbled ashore. I didn't feel the threat Godzilla presented to Japan like I did in 1954.
I used to take issue with this, but then I realized that Godzilla's behavior in 1984 made sense. In 1954, he towered over almost everything, and he could thus be a malevolent force with little to oppose him. 30 years later, Tokyo has grown into a giant itself, and Godzilla is dwarfed by his surroundings. He can no longer dominate the city because the city overwhelms him almost as much as it does its population. (My only regret is that the filmmakers did not keep him at his original height to emphasize the difference.)
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

I thought Godzilla's sleepwalking nature in this film was a result of Kenpachiro Satsuma working inside a suit that was desgined for a much taller actor than him.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ethan wrote:I thought Godzilla's sleepwalking nature in this film was a result of Kenpachiro Satsuma working inside a suit that was desgined for a much taller actor than him.
This. On top of that, this isn't the same Godzilla that attacked in 1954, so why would he act the exact same way?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

A couple questions about Godzilla 84

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

Alright, I've been pondering this for the past couple days but I haven't gotten around to posting this but I have a few questions about Godzilla 84/85. The answer may be right in front of me, but i'm not 100% sure and want to clarify...

1) What did Steve Martin mean by "He's looking for something. Searching. Only if we can figure it out--before it's too late"

and

2) What did Professor Hayashida mean by he just wanted to send Godzilla home?? Did that just mean he wanted to drop Goji in the volcano??
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

Zilla103192
Keizer

Re: A couple questions about Godzilla 84

Post by Zilla103192 »

i havent seen G85 in a few years but i think i can help...
1) What did Steve Martin mean by "He's looking for something. Searching. Only if we can figure it out--before it's too late"
i THINK he means that Godzilla is trying to find nuclear energy... but this im not super sure...
2) What did Professor Hayashida mean by he just wanted to send Godzilla home?? Did that just mean he wanted to drop Goji in the volcano??
Hayashida means that Godzilla shouldnt be in that time. He was to send him "Home" as in kill him. because of all the pain Godzilla was/is in. He knows what humans have done to godzilla, and thinks he should be put out of his misery.

but then again... i havent watched 85 in a long while
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

They're just lines that sound much deeper than they are. Cuz neither really means a damn thing.
bleep bloop

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

1. one was just something the dub made up but you could argue he was looking for Jr.

2. agree with zilla103192
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

miguelnuva wrote:1. one was just something the dub made up but you could argue he was looking for Jr.
Why would he look for something that doesn't exist yet?

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

Maybe he just wanted to go back to his prehistoric home?Idk why i have that idea
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

... or maybe Steve Martin's line meant something so simple as "he was looking for a food source."

I'd have to rewatch the movie to find where the line is in context with when Godzilla attacked the reactor.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

He was searching for the abandoned storyline from 1955 to 1975.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

Mini-Godzilla wrote:He was searching for the abandoned storyline from 1955 to 1975.
Pft,finding that would be as monumental as finding life(animals,screw bacteria) on another planet
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."