DAM and GvsMegalon from Media Blasters (v.2)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
TokyoVigilante
Futurian

DAM and GvsMegalon from Media Blasters (v.2)

Post by TokyoVigilante »

The previous thread was a bloated mess of bad blood for the majority of its existence and had really grown beyond the point of being useful. Here is the second thread and any higgly-piggly from the old one that's dragged back here will not be tolerated.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... ors-false/

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... d-blu-ray/

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... announced/

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... s-megalon/

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... d-cd-news/

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... and-specs/

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... d-blu-ray/

If there's any other important points, then people can post the below.

The previous thread is permalocked. All discussion of these DVD/Blu-Ray releases will take place here from here on out. And you'll be damned civil about it too.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: DAM and GvsMegalon from Media Blasters (v.2)

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Good idea, that thread was getting pretty insane. I kind of had a hand in the last bit, so I guess I'm not exactly one to point fingers.

Anyway, any more word at all from Stu 'n' Steve on the whole commentary situation? Once the check is dealt with I assume they'll be dropping the whole injunction thing.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Good idea, that thread was getting pretty insane. I kind of had a hand in the last bit, so I guess I'm not exactly one to point fingers.

Anyway, any more word at all from Stu 'n' Steve on the whole commentary situation? Once the check is dealt with I assume they'll be dropping the whole injunction thing.
No word on it since February 14th when Stuart got his check, which was American and made out to him instead of Steve, which may or may not mean his payment is screwed.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Interesting updates. Good to know there is still a "chance" this DVD/Blu-Ray will be released, and very decent of Stuart not to pursue his legal due. Although it was a smart PR move. The financial compensation he would have recieved probably would not have mattered if in the opinion of fans, "HE" was the cause of this DVD not coming about (as erroneous as that would be). Now the "Bad Guy" card rests solely with MB.

A statement I made From the previous thread on 2/10/12
Right now I'd say the G vs Megalon DVD we all anticipated has about a 10% chance of being released, 20% if its a "bare bones" release. If the "Gamera:The Brave" blu-ray somehow sees the light of day, then I'll bump up G vs. Megalon's chances to 50%, but I'm not holding my breath until then.
From Stuart on his Blog:
Of course, Media Blasters still has to a) have everything approved by Toho; and b) come up with the dough to release it, either of which may be insurmountable at this point, and which could still drag on for another 6-12 months regardless. I’d still say the odds of this ever coming out at all are no better than 50%, though the fact that at long last I’ve been paid would seem to hint at a desire on their part to move forward.
Not saying I'm right, or stuart is, but I'm just glad someone in the know has about the same level of expectation as I do.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Experts say that G vs M has a 50 - 50 chance of being released, though there's only a 10 percent chance of that. (Thank you Leslie Nielson).
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

As long as the Ted Thomas interview and commentary are offered by some other means, I won't be too disappointed. Toho's "HD" version of MEGALON is nothing to really get excited about, but I do realize that most people don't really care, and just want a copy of the movie in the U.S.

The loss of the inclusion of the Cinema Shares AND international credits (which are to be included as extras) will make it impossible to ever restore either of the English versions, but since that's something like, 4 people care about (me included), and I know about 99% of people here (and elsewhere) won't give a shit anyway.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Toho's "HD" version of MEGALON is nothing to really get excited about
True, sadly it is also the only way to see the film. Unless of course, some fans owns a print and wants to scan it.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ethan wrote:
Toho's "HD" version of MEGALON is nothing to really get excited about
True, sadly it is also the only way to see the film. Unless of course, some fans owns a print and wants to scan it.
It's sadly the only way to see the film in so-called high-def (Tamura called it a "low-def, high-def transfer" elsewhere, which sounds like what most of Toho's HD versions look like) though I'd rather just watch the R2, personally.

Even if MEGALON ends up being a barebones release, I'll be buying it anyway to A) support legit Godzilla releases on home video here in the U.S. and B) Have the uncut English dialogue sourced from something other than a shitty PAL VHS tape.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Yeah that much is true. Not sure about everybody, but Godzilla vs. Megalon has one of my favorite dubbings ever, I will be nice to hear it without tape hiss and other imperfections.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ethan wrote:Yeah that much is true. Not sure about everybody, but Godzilla vs. Megalon has one of my favorite dubbings ever, I will be nice to hear it without tape hiss and other imperfections.
Same here. I'm curious, which one are you referring to?

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Goji wrote:
Ethan wrote:Yeah that much is true. Not sure about everybody, but Godzilla vs. Megalon has one of my favorite dubbings ever, I will be nice to hear it without tape hiss and other imperfections.
Same here. I'm curious, which one are you referring to?
Which tape? In that case, WTF film's webmaster once synced the R2 DVD with a recording (I believe from the Sci-Fi channel), which sounded quite good, but still suffering the limitations of that format.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Sorry about that, I wasn't very specific in my original post. Which dubbers are your favorite? (is what I meant to ask)

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

"Has one of my favorite dubbings" :wink:
Regardless, my favorite voice in that movie would be Goro's. And I don't find Roxanne annoying at all, an adult on helium playing a little boy is very much in line with other silly aspects of Godzilla vs. Megalon.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Ethan wrote:Which tape? In that case, WTF film's webmaster once synced the R2 DVD with a recording (I believe from the Sci-Fi channel), which sounded quite good, but still suffering the limitations of that format.
The sound quality is pretty good, but it goes off sync at some point.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Ethan wrote:And I don't find Roxanne annoying at all
Not to be nitpicky, but the kids name is "Rokuro" or Rokusan (which literally translated means Sixth son). I just think you've seen the MST3K version too many times :lol:

Tom Servo: "Roxanne, you don't have to wear that dress tonight"

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

No I haven't. I call him Roxanne because of the way the dubbers pronounce Roku-san. I know there's no way a Japanese boy would be called liked that...

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ethan wrote:"Has one of my favorite dubbings" :wink:
Regardless, my favorite voice in that movie would be Goro's. And I don't find Roxanne annoying at all, an adult on helium playing a little boy is very much in line with other silly aspects of Godzilla vs. Megalon.
Woops.. :lol:

Goro is definitely one of my favorite dubbers of all time.. He dubs Kirishima in BIOLLANTE, among many others in the 70's. The last time I heard him in anything was in VS. KING GHIDORAH (he dubbed a very minor character, the taller guy with the slicked back hair), and an older gentleman in OROCHI THE EIGHT HEADED DRAGON. I've only watched it dubbed once, so I can't recall the character he dubbed in that one.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Posted on Sci-Fi Japan Forum's over the weekend:

From MB's Facebook:
It seems that we are getting closer to TOHO allowing us to create a barebones version. The approval of the one with all the extras will take months it seems and given how upset there were with us for DAM release with all the extras we have decided to start with the barebones version first.
Uhmm... This is just my take, but I think *if* MB does a bare bones release of G vs Megalon (and thats a BIG if), then I think it is merely to try to recoup the financial loss they have taken form Toho. I have little doubt that by end of year MB will be competely out of business. Continuous delayed/cancelled projects and 60% layoffs dont bode well for them. Also If they expect already irate fans to double-dip for a "special edition" released later with extras, who are they kidding? I'll hold off (I already have 2 versions of this on DVD), and if the special edition ever comes out, then I might get it, if the company closes its doors, then I can get the bare-bones blu-ray for a basement bargain price I'm sure.

Also I am going on record as saying that on 5/22/12 Gamera The Brave will NOT be available on Blu-Ray from MB.

Qaenos
GPN Volunteer

Post by Qaenos »

What is considered an "extra"? I mean, obviously a still gallery is an "extra", but what about the audio / dubbing / subtitles? What was the original plan for this disc? Japanese version with English subtitles? Were they planning on including an English dub like DAM? Was it going to be AIP or an International one?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Are they talking about DAM or DAM AND Meg?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren