DAM and MEGALON News from Media Blasters

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS’, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.

DAM and MEGALON News from Media Blasters

Postby kpa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Media Blasters (and to lesser extent, Toho) have kept some of the SciFi Japan crew in the loop during their negotiations for DESTROY ALL MONSTERS and GODZILLA VS MEGALON. We were asked not to say anything until the contracts were done so it's been interesting (to say the least) to sit back and watch very simple business deals become such an online rumor-fest over the past few months.

We finally got the all-clear, and Media Blasters agreed to a Q&A that should cover most of the topics fans have been asking about.

Enjoy!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... d-blu-ray/
kpa
G-Grasper

Re: DAM and MEGALON News from Media Blasters

Postby tymon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Excellent, thanks for this. I'll probably get both the DVDs and Blu Rays of both.
Birdman wrote:How do I bump this thread?
tymon
EDF Soldier

Postby TokyoVigilante » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm pretty excited for the inevitable "renascence" and re-appreciation these films always seem to get that coincides with a high quality release. "Godzilla vs. Megalon; the unsung classic!"

It's nice to hear that they're working on all the little extra stuff like the AIP dub, separate versions of the film, and using the R2 extras of Tohos DVDs. I'd also love another commentary track from the Classic Media crew.

It'll be what kind of extras that Media Blaster's gets that will determine if I replace my Madman copy of GODZILLA VS MEGALON. But they've never dropped the ball in that regard.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier

Postby Gawdziller » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Well this clears up a lot of the chaos and confusion of the other Megalon DVD topic. Thanks for the info, Keith!

The final question about G85 was one that I was wondering, and the answer is a bummer. But hopefully they'll look into it when these releases are done and maybe Toho will give them the approving nod again!
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

Gawdziller
Mmmmm...open faced club sandwich...

Geiger Counter

Team: (Gareth) Edward(s)
Favourite Kaiju: Your momma

Postby Gojira-Fan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:10 pm

This is great news! Tokyo Shock always puts out quality releases, and it's nice to him them speak about the issue in an outlet other than Facebook.

I've been looking at SciFi Japan a lot ever since I heard about DAM/Megalon being licensed by Media Blasters, especially since they announced it on their FB page. Glad to finally see an article on this!
Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Postby Goji » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 pm

TokyoVigilante wrote:I

It'll be what kind of extras that Media Blaster's gets that will determine if I replace my Madman copy of GODZILLA VS MEGALON. But they've never dropped the ball in that regard.

While it may not be a deal breaker for ya, they will most definitely include the uncut English dub track from the international version of MEGALON. It was unfortunately absent from the Madman disk, which I'm guessing is the reason they decided to basically recreate the Cinema Shares version, since they didn't have the uncut audio available.
Goji
Kwaidan

Favourite Kaiju: Hedorah

Postby DaikaijuSokogeki! » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Ooh, I hope MB keeps the October 25th release date for Destroy All Monsters. I will so buy that in November at MB's booth (if they have one like they have in the past) at Nekocon. :mrgreen:
DaikaijuSokogeki!
G-Grasper

Postby The Dark Uniter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:01 pm

Awesome confirmation. I'm looking forward to October 25th. :D
The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Postby Tamura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Carl Morano wrote:We will have access to 35mm materials as well as Toho’s HD broadcast masters. We have access to the restorations and plan to release the films complete with some interesting extras. We will strive to produce the best Blu-rays we can.

F*ck yeah. I hope this means they listened to me!
GojirO wrote:THIS IS OUR CHRISTMAS
Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tamura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm just concerned about the presentation, or lack thereof, of the international credits from their easy-to-find prints, which Toho has never barred any company from putting on a DVD or VHS. The only times that Toho international dubs have been put out without their credits were when companies like MB or Discotek simply ported the R2's and put subtitles and a dub on them.

I like that they're interested in putting extras having to do with the films' US theatrical and TV releases. Maybe we'll finally see the John Belushi bumpers!
Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby JVM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Great news, I'll probably pick up both if I can.
JVM
I miss Vega

Favourite Kaiju: Varan

Postby Crimson_Raptor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:47 pm

This is great news! And right after a Godzilla vs Megalon bootleg went for $43.00 on ebay last night, lol!

tymon wrote:I'll probably get both the DVDs and Blu Rays of both.

The problem is that Blu-Ray quality does not translate into better quality than DVD when it comes to films that were not shot for Blu-Ray.

I understand that they have to put to some version out on Blu-Ray so they won't lose out on additional revenue but that's the reason why Media Blasters says Blu-Ray's growth is slow in this respect due to the low amount of new movies currently being filmed for a Blu-Ray distributing.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."
Crimson_Raptor
JXSDF Technician

Postby gvamp » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Crimson_Raptor wrote:This is great news! And right after a Godzilla vs Megalon bootleg went for $43.00 on ebay last night, lol!

tymon wrote:I'll probably get both the DVDs and Blu Rays of both.

The problem is that Blu-Ray quality does not translate into better quality than DVD when it comes to films that were not shot for Blu-Ray.

I understand that they have to put to some version out on Blu-Ray so they won't lose out on additional revenue but that's the reason why Media Blasters says Blu-Ray's growth is slow in this respect due to the low amount of new movies currently being filmed for a Blu-Ray distributing.

35mm which I believe these films where shot on hold higher detail than DVD and BD so BD is the closest we'll get to getting on par with 35mm for now.
optimum in mundi
Click this for me: http://rewardgalaxy.com/?ref=637260

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Geiger Counter

Postby Tamura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Crimson_Raptor wrote:The problem is that Blu-Ray quality does not translate into better quality than DVD when it comes to films that were not shot for Blu-Ray.

What the hell are you talking about? I don't understand how beliefs like this are able to proliferate.
Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Monsterzero 1965 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Crimson_Raptor wrote:The problem is that Blu-Ray quality does not translate into better quality than DVD when it comes to films that were not shot for Blu-Ray.

That's just wrong. 35mm film can be scanned at 2K and 4K resolution which has a higher resolution than Blu-ray.
Monsterzero 1965
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Showa Gyaos » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:18 pm

I'll be looking for a release date. :D
Gawdziller wrote:Elizabeth Olsen's Army of Darkness skeleton impersonation was pretty painful to sit through.

Oh wait, that was just Elizabeth Olsen.

Showa Gyaos
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby RyanClark » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Concerning the topic of the International prints of the films goes, here's my opinion. I've noticed in a lot of cases, Media Blasters likes to use the original Japanese versions, but with dubs. I can't verify how much they do this for anime, but it's a lot more often with them than with a lot of other companies. I'm guessing maybe they want to feature them completely unaltered, as they were in Japan; and in the case of the Toho films, they may not understand some fans, particularly completists, want these previously existing English title/credits screens. I say email them and make this obvious that we want them. It would be awesome to see the original AIP DAM opening and credits, but that depends on if anyone has an actual print of it. Now, concerning the International credits, I would like to see both those and the Japanese credits featured using the multi-angle capability. Funimation used to do this with some of their anime titles, which I thought was brilliant (not sure why they stopped!). But for God's sake, I hope they have the uncut English dub of Megalon, not some attempt to remake the Cinema Shares version like Madman did.

I'm also thrilled to see they want to get the Japanese extras. That may mean commentaries, Japanese 8mm featurettes, and I believe Megalon has a Teruyoshi Nakano interview nearly an hour long. Plus, if you care about the 5.1 audio remixes, I'm hoping those will be there as well.
RyanClark
Yin-Yang Master

Postby omgitsgodzilla » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 am

"We did inquire into [Return of Godzilla] in the past, and may try again in the near future"? I LOVE YOU, MEDIA BLASTERS!
Gender-questioning Netflix addict who has spent way too much money collecting these damned movies.

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES
omgitsgodzilla
Tumblr Trash

Postby Tamura » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:53 am

Ryan, I already sent MB a nice, specific letter about the credits.
Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tymon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:56 am

I wouldn't mind if MB got the rights to all the Godzilla films, honestly. They seem to care about their product more than Sony or CM (though we got some damn good DVDs from them too). It would also be cool to have all 28 films on a shelf from the same company and similar packaging.
Birdman wrote:How do I bump this thread?
tymon
EDF Soldier

Next

Return to Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, Audio CDs