Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4967
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:08 pm

I think you mean Rege, Godzilla's foe from Godzilla 2000. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Terasawa
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3705
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby Terasawa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:53 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.


True, but "Organizer G-1" doesn't make much sense considering its purpose. What is it organizing? That's why Schlesinger and the TriStar crew changed it.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 12140
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby eabaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.


I remember reading at the time that there was concern that Americans would associate Orga's name with the word "orgasm." No idea if there's any truth to that or not.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Terasawa wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.


True, but "Organizer G-1" doesn't make much sense considering its purpose. What is it organizing? That's why Schlesinger and the TriStar crew changed it.

Yeah, it’s not that I disagree with the Tristar change, it’s just sad that Orga’s Name sortve gets butchered in the process. Then again it’s never really mentioned in the film anyways. I know this is going off topic, but at one point, doesn’t one of the characters, looking at Orga, ask what it is, and then someone says”regenerator G1?”.

I guess organizing would refer to dna and RNA strand reorganizing to metaphorsize into something new.

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.


I remember reading at the time that there was concern that Americans would associate Orga's name with the word "orgasm." No idea if there's any truth to that or not.

To be honest I’d believe it.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4967
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.


I remember reading at the time that there was concern that Americans would associate Orga's name with the word "orgasm." No idea if there's any truth to that or not.


I always just figured it was for 'Organism'; another way of saying 'unknown lifeform'. Almost a classification (similar to 'M.U.T.O.')... until I learned about Organizer G-1. But I feel like the name can still function that way with the Regenerator G-1 change.

I just hate (similar to subbing Kiryu 'MechaG') the clear mismatch between a recognizable word on audio, and the text.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 12140
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby eabaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Zarm wrote:I just hate (similar to subbing Kiryu 'MechaG') the clear mismatch between a recognizable word on audio, and the text.


Agreed. "MechaG" drives me particularly nuts, because it looks every bit as stupid as it sounds.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:27 pm

I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4967
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:41 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.


What's the word mean, when it isn't a name?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Online
mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby mikelcho » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:49 pm

mikelcho wrote:Well, I recently saw Godzilla 2000: Millennium on Sony's Blu-ray release and as far as I can tell, this film was subtitled (except for using "Regenerator G-1" instead of "Organizer G-1").
If you want more details on this, see my 1-5-19 post on the film in Talkback: Godzilla 2000: Millennium.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 15542
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Zarm wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.


What's the word mean, when it isn't a name?


"Mechanical dragon" or something to that effect.
Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Zarm wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.


What's the word mean, when it isn't a name?

Ryu or りゅう just means dragon.
Ki or 機 means machine.

So Kiryu as states by someone else is just machine dragon. However, it should be noted that Kiryu strangely, is a popular name, for fictional protagonists and actually a Jpop musical group. I dount that’s significant, but it coincides with it as a “name status”. It’s two conjoined words not separated by の or other particles.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Terasawa
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3705
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby Terasawa » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 pm

Zarm wrote:I just hate (similar to subbing Kiryu 'MechaG') the clear mismatch between a recognizable word on audio, and the text.


Bump, sorry, but here's an interesting Quora post about loan words that have different meanings in Japan than they do in their native languages. I think "organizer", at least as in the case of the name Organizer G-1, would fall into this category.

Another one: Kubota is called "suponsah" (sponsor) in Japanese dialogue in Gigan, although he's Gengo's boss; the Janus subtitles refer to him as the latter. I agree it can be distracting.

End necro tangent.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:10 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Zarm wrote:I just hate (similar to subbing Kiryu 'MechaG') the clear mismatch between a recognizable word on audio, and the text.


Bump, sorry, but here's an interesting Quora post about loan words that have different meanings in Japan than they do in their native languages. I think "organizer", at least as in the case of the name Organizer G-1, would fall into this category.

Another one: Kubota is called "suponsah" (sponsor) in Japanese dialogue in Gigan, although he's Gengo's boss; the Janus subtitles refer to him as the latter. I agree it can be distracting.

End necro tangent.

https://ejje.weblio.jp/content/organizer

One of the definitions:
"(medicine) A group of cells that, together with the evocator, control differentiation in the embryo; the inductor"

When you take that into account of the actual definition, something that sorts and leads, Organizer G-1 isn't a bad or weird term at all. Organizer G-1 is a part of Godzilla that changes and allows it's cells to rapidly grow, not unlike that of an embryo which gives him an extreme healing factor in the 2000.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Angilasman
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby Angilasman » Sat May 30, 2020 8:08 am

I read something recently anout Sony's GMK subs (Blu-ray) correcting some stuff from the DVD sub track. Is that right?

User avatar
Terasawa
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3705
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby Terasawa » Sat May 30, 2020 9:57 am

Angilasman wrote:I read something recently anout Sony's GMK subs (Blu-ray) correcting some stuff from the DVD sub track. Is that right?


Yeah. The DVD subs are almost word-for-word the English dub script. There’s at least one change in the BD script: now Tachibana no longer shouts “Yes!” when the missile hits Ghidorah. The other character also yells “skreeonk!”, which I think was excessive, but certainly more accurate than whatever it was he said in the dubbed version.

Added in 6 minutes 6 seconds:
I suppose it depends on one’s interpretation of what constitutes “dubtitles,” but I think the translation method for Sony’s BDs was to use the dub scripts as a base and have a translator change certain dialogue that’s considerably different in the Japanese audio. The translations are definitely not brand new. For example, the subtitle tracks on KG and Godzilla vs Mothra at least are more dubtitle than not.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
Angilasman
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby Angilasman » Sat May 30, 2020 11:28 am

^ Yeah, it's weird: modified dubtitles.

Thanks!


Return to “Toho Media”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests