Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:08 pm

I think you mean Rege, Godzilla's foe from Godzilla 2000. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:53 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.

True, but "Organizer G-1" doesn't make much sense considering its purpose. What is it organizing? That's why Schlesinger and the TriStar crew changed it.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.

I remember reading at the time that there was concern that Americans would associate Orga's name with the word "orgasm." No idea if there's any truth to that or not.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Terasawa wrote:

True, but "Organizer G-1" doesn't make much sense considering its purpose. What is it organizing? That's why Schlesinger and the TriStar crew changed it.

Yeah, it’s not that I disagree with the Tristar change, it’s just sad that Orga’s Name sortve gets butchered in the process. Then again it’s never really mentioned in the film anyways. I know this is going off topic, but at one point, doesn’t one of the characters, looking at Orga, ask what it is, and then someone says”regenerator G1?”.

I guess organizing would refer to dna and RNA strand reorganizing to metaphorsize into something new.

eabaker wrote:

I remember reading at the time that there was concern that Americans would associate Orga's name with the word "orgasm." No idea if there's any truth to that or not.

To be honest I’d believe it.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm

eabaker wrote:

I always just figured it was for 'Organism'; another way of saying 'unknown lifeform'. Almost a classification (similar to 'M.U.T.O.')... until I learned about Organizer G-1. But I feel like the name can still function that way with the Regenerator G-1 change.

I just hate (similar to subbing Kiryu 'MechaG') the clear mismatch between a recognizable word on audio, and the text.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Zarm wrote:I just hate (similar to subbing Kiryu 'MechaG') the clear mismatch between a recognizable word on audio, and the text.

Agreed. "MechaG" drives me particularly nuts, because it looks every bit as stupid as it sounds.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:27 pm

I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:41 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.

What's the word mean, when it isn't a name?

#ProLife

Maranatha!

mikelcho
Yin-Yang Master

Postby mikelcho » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:49 pm

mikelcho wrote:Well, I recently saw Godzilla 2000: Millennium on Sony's Blu-ray release and as far as I can tell, this film was subtitled (except for using "Regenerator G-1" instead of "Organizer G-1").
If you want more details on this, see my 1-5-19 post on the film in Talkback: Godzilla 2000: Millennium.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Zarm wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.

"Mechanical dragon" or something to that effect.

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Zarm wrote:

Ryu or りゅう just means dragon.
Ki or 機 means machine.

So Kiryu as states by someone else is just machine dragon. However, it should be noted that Kiryu strangely, is a popular name, for fictional protagonists and actually a Jpop musical group. I dount that’s significant, but it coincides with it as a “name status”. It’s two conjoined words not separated by の or other particles.

Return to “Toho Media”