Where to Sell VHS

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Where to Sell VHS

Post by MrRockett »

I have about 13 VHS Godzilla movies I want to unload including 1985 without sleeve, G v Biollante with sleeve and the rest of Heisei Japanese import with Subs.

Is Ebay the best place to try? I have them all on digital so these are just taking up space.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

UltramanGoji

Re: Where to Sell VHS

Post by UltramanGoji »

eBay would most likely be your best bet, though be wary of their new Managed Payments program which requires you to enter a social security number for valid yet uncomfortable reasons. You might be better off doing a Facebook post in a Godzilla group or hell, even seeing if anyone here wants to buy them.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Some Godzilla VHS tapes may be of interest to collectors. I myself have at least one copy of each film from the original through G2000 on VHS (the last one produced in the United States). I believe toho in Japan kept releasing VHS all the way through Final Wars in 2004....

But to most people they are of very little value. There used to be a second hand media store here where I live. About 10 years ago, I tried to sell off some of the last VHS tapes had, some of it was Anime that wasn't common (still has nto been released on DVD or BRD) but still, they wouldn't even buy them from me. Unfortunately I ended up just throwing away some things because even on eBay to sell them I would lose money on the postage & eBay fees.

I see some people try to sell VHS tapes for $20 or more, which really isn't worth it, unless it is something rare that hasn't made the leap to DVD/BRD or digital such as some of the non Godzilla Toho films, or alternate dubs/cuts of films.

G1985 is a good example, but so many VHS of those exist, and now fans are distributing the film online in Hi-Def, even those VHS copies are not in demand as much.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

o.supreme wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:48 am But to most people they are of very little value. There used to be a second hand media store here where I live. About 10 years ago, I tried to sell off some of the last VHS tapes had, some of it was Anime that wasn't common (still has nto been released on DVD or BRD) but still, they wouldn't even buy them from me. Unfortunately I ended up just throwing away some things because even on eBay to sell them I would lose money on the postage & eBay fees.

I see some people try to sell VHS tapes for $20 or more, which really isn't worth it, unless it is something rare that hasn't made the leap to DVD/BRD or digital such as some of the non Godzilla Toho films, or alternate dubs/cuts of films.
I recently sold about 30 tapes through a combination of eBay, Offer Up, and the Kaiju Media group on Facebook. Quite a few actually fetched over $20 (just off the top of my head my copy of WOG sold for $30 and Godzilla vs The Smog Monster sold for $50) so there is actually still value in them. Especially with 80s nostalgia being strong these days you have people wanting to load up on cool 80s VHS box art. So the market isn't as dire as you may think.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Smog Monster makes sense because there is no official release of that dub beyond the original Orion VHS. I am intrigued by WotG because the Classic media DVD with Rodan basically makes it superfluous, but hey, yeah there are collectors out there.

Films on VHS like RKO Mysterians, any of the Brenco Toho films etc... Yog (AIP Dub) Varan the Unbelievable etc.... and anything where the actual alternate version dosen't exist on a modern physical media format will catch the most on the collectors market.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

o.supreme wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:38 pm Smog Monster makes sense because there is no official release of that dub beyond the original Orion VHS. I am intrigued by WotG because the Classic media DVD with Rodan basically makes it superfluous, but hey, yeah there are collectors out there.

Films on VHS like RKO Mysterians, any of the Brenco Toho films etc... Yog (AIP Dub) Varan the Unbelievable etc.... and anything where the actual alternate version dosen't exist on a modern physical media format will catch the most on the collectors market.
Ya go check eBay for WotG VHS tapes. Several are well over $100 for brand new. I don't think people are getting them to actually watch them (as you point out superior discs exist) but more for the collector/nostaglia value. There's an entire submarket of collectors who get all the various VHS art boxes for Godzilla vs Megalon. There are dozens and dozens. So its not even about exclusive dubs or alternate versions so much anymore as different box art too.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I would never sell my VHS tapes. These are my entire identitty

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

o.supreme wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:38 pm Smog Monster makes sense because there is no official release of that dub beyond the original Orion VHS. I am intrigued by WotG because the Classic media DVD with Rodan basically makes it superfluous, but hey, yeah there are collectors out there.

The Rodan/WOTG set from CM is long gone so no surprise that the WOTG VHS would be equally expensive.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I want the WOTG tape. And it's so damn expensive even dvd's. Why is that so hard to find?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I have one of each of every Godzilla film released on VHS (well from KotM to G2000), and most of the non-Godzilla Toho films. I did go out of my way to get a few rarities, such as the films in my post above, and the Neptune Media Gamera films on VHS. However WotG is one VHS I never got, and it's just not on my want list for whatever reason. I had a taped broadcast from Television on VHS until the DVD came out, and I was good with that.

As for all the Megalon VHS, yeah there ARE dozens. I can't imagine wanting to collect them all, but to each their own. I just wanted one with the Cinema Shares opening, and I cant even remember if I ever got it or not, since I eventually got a decent video file with it.