TOP 4 GODZILLA CUES

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
_JNavs_
Keizer

TOP 4 GODZILLA CUES

Post by _JNavs_ »

So i've been listening to these 4 tracks over and over for the past month, and i think these are my personal favorite 4 Godzilla tracks that resonate the most with me.

Anyway so it got me thinking, if you guys had to choose, what would your top 4 Definitive G tracks be?
(Preferably Godzilla centric, don't know if that makes a difference)

Mine would have to be:

Godzilla's Rage - GMK

King of Monsters - FW

OG Godzilla Theme - Gojira

Main Title - KOTM (2019)

(There are definitely some honorable mentions i've left out)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Voyager
Keizer

Re: TOP 4 GODZILLA SCORES

Post by Voyager »

Without putting ANY thought into it... here we go.

4. King of Terror (GTTHM)
3. OG Godzilla Theme (G54)
2. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II Main Theme
1. Mothra vs Godzilla Main Theme
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Wait, are we talking film scores (a soundtrack) or the individual cues that make up a score?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:Wait, are we talking film scores (a soundtrack) or the individual cues that make up a score?
I believe specific singular tracks, individual scores.

Cues would be just the specific rhythms within a theme right?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:Wait, are we talking film scores (a soundtrack) or the individual cues that make up a score?
That confused me too. The topic title seems to indicate the former, but the OP's post seems to indicate the latter (which is a far more difficult decision).
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
That confused me too. The topic title seems to indicate the former, but the OP's post seems to indicate the latter (which is a far more difficult decision).
Yeah i may have twisted the musical vocab up a bit. I thought a score was a singular track from a tracklist.

Thats what happens when I try to make a thread at 4am :lol:

I think i fixed it.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote:

In music terminology a score can mean a few different things but according to Wikipedia a film score is all the music recorded for a film (e.g. the Guardians of the Galaxy score would be all the music recorded for it but not the classic rock songs used in the movie).

“Cue” is the technical term for a single track recorded for a film score, though again, it could mean different things in different contexts. That said, I’m not familiar with “cue” as you used it to describe specific rhythms.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

In music terminology a score can mean a few different things but according to Wikipedia a film score is all the music recorded for a film (e.g. the Guardians of the Galaxy score would be all the music recorded for it but not the classic rock songs used in the movie).

“Cue” is the technical term for a single track recorded for a film score, though again, it could mean different things in different contexts. That said, I’m not familiar with “cue” as you used it to describe specific rhythms.
Ah okay, yeah i had all my music vocabulary jumbled. I thought a cue was a motif and a score was a singular track lol.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I believe specific singular tracks, individual scores.

Ah okay, yeah i had all my music vocabulary jumbled. I thought a cue was a motif and a score was a singular track lol.
You're good: I just wanted to be certain because while I could probably easily rattle off four Godzilla scores I like, coming up with four individual cues is a bigger challenge. There's so much to choose from.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

You're good: I just wanted to be certain because while I could probably easily rattle off four Godzilla scores I like, coming up with four individual cues is a bigger challenge. There's so much to choose from.
Same here lol, it's definitely a difficult challenge, there's so many iconic cues to choose from. I have like 6 honorable mentions that would fall into a top 10 list easily :lol:
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Re: TOP 4 GODZILLA CUES

Post by G-Matt »

I think these would be my four favorites:

1. This one is arguably the most important to me, since MG74 was the first G-movie I ever saw, and Sato's music instantly made a big impression on me.

2. Once again, a theme that got stuck in my head right after hearing it in the movie.

3. I really like both this and "Godzilla at the Ocean Floor". But if I had to pick one... Well, you can't go wrong with the classic theme.

4. The Maser March is my favorite out of Ifukube's military marches.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Godzilla's rage from GMK, KOTM's rendition of the original theme, Ghidorah's theme from GVKG, and almost every music piece from Godzilla 2000 can qualify for me.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This is gonna be a unique one...

The iconic 1962 edition of Godzilla's theme:

GODZILLA by Takayuki Hattori:

The Beginning by Ray Arnold by David Arnold:

And finally, King of the Monsters by Bear McCreary:

Honorable mention: Defeat is no option by Shiro Sagisu (Not sure if this fully represents Godzilla or not):

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Ok here is the music that I chose.

4. King Ghidorah’s Terror

3. OG Theme

2. Mechagodzilla (Heisei) Theme

1. Mothra vs Godzilla Theme

Here is why I chose that to be number one. When I think of Godzilla, I think that theme. Mothra vs Godzilla is my favorite film EVER. And I just think it’s one of Ifukube’s finest works.
For Emperor and Empire!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

You guys are all choosing some great music, it's crazy how we all have varying Godzilla themes that just stick with us over time.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

In no particular order...

1. Godzilla's Rampage

When I was a little kid, my favorite Godzilla movie was Godzilla: King of the Monsters! (I liked destruction scenes more than monster fights), and my favorite piece of music was this one. I'd sing it on car rides, learned to play it on the piano, the works. I still have a lot of nostalgic love for it in the way most people might have for the Jurassic park or Star Wars themes.

2. Godzilla vs the Children of Mothra

I could fill this entire list with music from Mothra vs Godzilla (I consider it to be the best score in the series), but for the sake of leaving room for other films I'll try and limit it to one track. I chose this one since it's the longest track in the score at over 8 minutes, and so IMO best represents the rest of the score. You got a ton of cues I like in here, including the instrumental of Mahara Mothra, the movie's "military march" (I don't know what else to call it, but it's the cue that plays right after Mahara Mothra in this track), and a re-imagining of Godzilla's Rampage. All that was needed was Sacred Springs, a track that ALMOST makes this list.

3. The Monster Zero March

It's a classic for a damn good reason. The 1965 version is the best version of the theme too.

4. Destroy All Monsters Main Titles

I REALLY like marches in film scores. Probably why Ifukube and John Williams are among my favorite composers. :lol:

Honorable mentions include: Godzilla on the Ocean Floor (Gojira), Sacred Springs (Mothra vs Godzilla), Fury of King Ghidorah (GTTHM), Operation Begins (Son of Godzilla), Save the Earth (Godzilla vs Hedorah), Terror of Mechagodzilla Main Titles, Godzilla 1989 (Godzilla vs Biollante), Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 Main Titles, Godzilla March (Godzilla 2000), Rodan (Godzilla: King of the Monsters)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

My honorable mentions would probably be the main theme from GxMG, The end theme from GxD, KOTM Rodan theme, and like KaijuKing said, any march is always going to make the list lol.