Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: Gamera Arrow possible release?

Post by king_ghidorah »

I’m going to guess this is the whole Gamera series....

Now. Whether they’ll be in 4K or not remains to be seen but this is easily the kaiju release I’m looking forward to the most in 2020 ;)

Ed Glaser
Yojimbo

Post by Ed Glaser »

The Heisei films at least are apparently from the 4K transfers.

https://twitter.com/jamesflowerfilm/sta ... 4572310529

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Hell yeah.

I really hope it has all of the films in it.

And a US release would be great

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ed Glaser wrote:The Heisei films at least are apparently from the 4K transfers.

https://twitter.com/jamesflowerfilm/sta ... 4572310529
Hard to say purely from that tweet alone. It seems more like it’s confirming the release of a box set than confirming the 4K versions will be used.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I imagine they'll be using those. They've been out in Japan for years, and there's no reason to do new ones when these already exist. I don't know how many of us have seen them, but they're really gorgeous.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^^Yeah, that wasn't a confirmation of 4k, I'd say; but Kadokawa seems more lenient than Toho on these things, and as just mentioned, the Japanese market already has them out, so here's to hoping!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'd LOVE the Heisei trilogy in 4K if possible. I doubt it'll happen but it would be awesome.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I imagine they'll be using those. They've been out in Japan for years, and there's no reason to do new ones when these already exist. I don't know how many of us have seen them, but they're really gorgeous.
Oh yeah, I think it's definitely possible if it's a complete series box set that the 4K versions will be used. I've seen screencaps but never seen them in full. I hope it happens.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I should clarify -- I could definitely see those transfers being used. A UHD release is a longer shot; these are 4K restorations, but they've only been released in 1080p in Japan.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I hope Arrow Video could manage the subtitles better. Mill Creek did not bother translating any credits, newspaper headlines or Japanese supers on GotU, ADV translated everything for GotU, including the end credits, and translated the opening credits for AoL. RoI was underserved by both companies.

I think that Arrow, because they are a well-regarded boutique distributor, are not going to disappoint. Kadokawa doesn't seem quite as difficult to work with as Toho.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ADV’s subtitles for GOTU were very closely based on official subtitles back in 1995/96.

Remember that, when ADV first released GOTU on DVD, they used their English version (with English credits), so they didn’t need to include those in the subtitle track. I think that first ADV disc was Mill Creek’s source for the subtitles.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

You know what would make this set perfect, if they include the infamous UK dub for GOTU.

Godzamera
Yojimbo

Post by Godzamera »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:You know what would make this set perfect, if they include the infamous UK dub for GOTU.
I think Gamera 4: Truth as a bonus would be perfecter
GODZILLA BOX

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Terasawa wrote:ADV’s subtitles for GOTU were very closely based on official subtitles back in 1995/96.

Remember that, when ADV first released GOTU on DVD, they used their English version (with English credits), so they didn’t need to include those in the subtitle track. I think that first ADV disc was Mill Creek’s source for the subtitles.
According to IMDb "The US video version (the print used also on the Region 1 DVD) superimposes black boxes with green English text within them over any Japanese text." I definitely do not see this in my copy. I must have a later DVD then, my copy has Japanese opening credits and supers and there is a subtitle option that translates just those (intended for the English dub). The end credits appear to use full-screen instead of the non-anamorphic widescreen for the rest of the film. This is definitely not there : https://youtu.be/EbDQd7-7Cbc?t=156

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:You know what would make this set perfect, if they include the infamous UK dub for GOTU.
That would be awesomely hilarious if that happened!
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

The voices of the U.K. dub aren't bad, but the music they added is Techno & Rave city!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Great Hierophant wrote:
Terasawa wrote:ADV’s subtitles for GOTU were very closely based on official subtitles back in 1995/96.

According to IMDb "The US video version (the print used also on the Region 1 DVD) superimposes black boxes with green English text within them over any Japanese text." I definitely do not see this in my copy. I must have a later DVD then, my copy has Japanese opening credits and supers and there is a subtitle option that translates just those (intended for the English dub). The end credits appear to use full-screen instead of the non-anamorphic widescreen for the rest of the film. This is definitely not there : https://youtu.be/EbDQd7-7Cbc?t=156
I think the box set and standalone versions of the ADV DVDs were different -- for instance, the standalone Gamera 2 apparently had only a short compilation of scenes from the redneck dub, while the box set had it as a full audio track attached to the film.

I do wonder what all dub options we'll have here for the Heisei films. I imagine we'll probably get the straight ADV dubs for the Kaneko trilogy, and Arrow might try to include the UK GotU dub since they're a British company. That leaves the redneck dub and the comedic Gamera 3 commentary up in the air, as well as the GtB dub, which I'd love to have a non-defective copy of on Blu-ray.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Or bringing out 4K Blu-rays, which would guarantee a double-dip from me on Heisei and Millennium Gamera. :mrgreen:
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Or bringing out 4K Blu-rays, which would guarantee a double-dip from me on Heisei and Millennium Gamera. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't hold your breath for 4K Blu-rays. Arrow, like a lot of these labels, are probably going to stick to regular blu-ray discs. So do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that 4K discs cost more to more to manufacture than regular discs. So I don't see them going that rout anytime soon.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:
I wouldn't hold your breath for 4K Blu-rays. Arrow, like a lot of these labels, are probably going to stick to regular blu-ray discs. So do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that 4K discs cost more to more to manufacture than regular discs. So I don't see them going that rout anytime soon.
Absolutely. I was only dreaming a bit. :idea: And I actually thought the Japan 4K Gamera set was actual 4K Blu-rays, which I guess they aren't!
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren