Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I assume the transfers will be getting Arrow's usual TLC, which is exciting because they look pretty nice already. Probably more nice, crisp 16mm TV titles from the MGM archives as well.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Huh. I was quite satisfied with the Mill Creek BD release and I’m not sure I really see a great need for another one. But then I look at the Arrow Gamera set on my shelf and immediately realize that this will totally be an absolute insta-buy without doubt...

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The question now is do I try and hock the Mill Creek release now while I still can or just hold onto it for collector's value...

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:29 pm The question now is do I try and hock the Mill Creek release now while I still can or just hold onto it for collector's value...
Im gonna hock mine now!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I only paid a few bucks new for the Mill Creek versions so why bother?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

If nothing else, this is great news for those of us that missed the Mill Creek set. I've never seen any of the Daimajin films, so this is an insta-buy for me.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:30 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/AnnoDracula/ ... 5949582340

Kim Newman spills the beans that Arrow is working on a Daimajin trilogy release!

I've been holding off a rewatch of the series as I suspected a new release was on the horizon. Mill Creek's set was already terrific, though.
Heck yeah! :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:08 pm If nothing else, this is great news for those of us that missed the Mill Creek set. I've never seen any of the Daimajin films, so this is an insta-buy for me.
I am in the exact same boat.

I will jump all over this one. I'm sure they'll spare no expense or indulgence of goodies and supplemental materials considering how successful the Gamera set was, and that they are once again working with the same studio/license holder.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Kim Newman spills the beans that Arrow is working on a Daimajin trilogy release!

I've been holding off a rewatch of the series as I suspected a new release was on the horizon. Mill Creek's set was already terrific, though.
WooHOO!!!!

That is excellent news!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Fingers crossed that the Yokai movies are after that - though they might want to hold off on releasing Miike's remake to tie into his upcoming sequel!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I recieved Arrow's Gamera sets a few weeks ago - I wish I could have gotten a hold of the Complete Collection with all the physical extras, but I'm still really happy with these editions. I wish Toho would allow US companies to go all out with their Godzilla releases the way Arrow does here - these discs feel so much more definitive than say the Criterion Showa Godzilla set. Plentiful bonus features, nice transfers and a few alternate US versions of the films, lovin it!

I had never seen the Showa Gamera films until now, and...yeah, not a huge fan, though most of them are pretty good as kid's fare. The Heisei trilogy and Gamera The Brave hold up beautifully, of course.

Good to hear about Daimajin, I'll be picking them up on day one for sure.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I kinda fell in love a bit with the Showa Gamera films. Of course the Heisei films are the "real movies", the classics and the high standards of quality...but I'll be damned if the Showa films didn't have an addictive charm of their own. The style, the short run-times and overall brevity of most entries, the colors, the tone, the Dubbing, the violence....call it cheesy or schlock or cornball or tongue-in-cheek or kiddy entertainment or 'so bad its good"...whatever term you want to use to describe what they are...I ate them up.

Granted, some are still much more appealing than others...I can't even really consider "Super Monster" as a film, it is basically a clip show/compilation movie, and it isn't really hiding it. But I absolutely buy what the other 7 Showa films are selling.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:42 pm I kinda fell in love a bit with the Showa Gamera films. Of course the Heisei films are the "real movies", the classics and the high standards of quality...but I'll be damned if the Showa films didn't have an addictive charm of their own.
They do have tons of of charm and spirit, no doubt - Yuasa's enthusiasm shines through in every film!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Both sets are on sale for around $58 at Deep Discount. I just pulled the trigger on ordering the Heisei set even though I have the big box (these are just about my favorite and most frequently rewatched movies, so I'm allowing the indulgence).

As for the Showa films; I've grown fonder of them as time has gone on. I was above the target age when I finslly saw them and I had already seen and was gaga about the more sophisticated GOTU by then, so they were at a disadvantage for me! Plus they were the Sandy Frank versions!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Got the trilogy steelbook a few weeks back. Very happy with how the set turned out. Guardian of the Universe seems to have the biggest upgrade in quality of the three.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

What's the difference between the heisei era steelbook and the normal heisei collection? Just the cover, or does steelbook not include Gamera the brave (which the heisei collection seems to have?). I've been out of the loop on this but might pick it up. Also what are the shipping costs usually to the US? Is it better to order directly or from a different site?
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:11 pm What's the difference between the heisei era steelbook and the normal heisei collection? Just the cover, or does steelbook not include Gamera the brave (which the heisei collection seems to have?). I've been out of the loop on this but might pick it up. Also what are the shipping costs usually to the US? Is it better to order directly or from a different site?
Aside from packaging, the steelbook does not have Gamera the Brave.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

How does everyone like the audio commentaries? They were a big selling point for me, especially seeing all the familiar names from the old Classic Media Godzilla...I'm a little disappointed, though. The Heisei/Brave commentaries are all solid (even if Matt Frank is a little too goofy at times), but most of the Showa commentaries are just so boring - it's that tendency to start rattling off every single actor's screen credits like a glorified IMDB page, why do people do this? Ragone is the worst of the bunch, and Stuart Gilbraith isn't much better. I usually love David Kalat's stuff, but his take on Guiron is pretty unfocused and off-topic. I thought Sean Rhoads and Brooke McCorkle did a nice job with Zigra - plus it's refreshing to hear a female voice in the mix for once.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:17 pm but most of the Showa commentaries are just so boring - it's that tendency to start rattling off every single actor's screen credits like a glorified IMDB page
Oh my god, this. This soooooo much. It was especially taxing on my patience as I was watching the commentaries after finishing the movie.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:17 pm How does everyone like the audio commentaries? They were a big selling point for me, especially seeing all the familiar names from the old Classic Media Godzilla...I'm a little disappointed, though. The Heisei/Brave commentaries are all solid (even if Matt Frank is a little too goofy at times), but most of the Showa commentaries are just so boring - it's that tendency to start rattling off every single actor's screen credits like a glorified IMDB page, why do people do this? Ragone is the worst of the bunch, and Stuart Gilbraith isn't much better. I usually love David Kalat's stuff, but his take on Guiron is pretty unfocused and off-topic. I thought Sean Rhoads and Brooke McCorkle did a nice job with Zigra - plus it's refreshing to hear a female voice in the mix for once.
The Zigra commentary was really surprising because it was folks that aren't just from the usual fan circles who had a different knowledge base. There's a lot of virtue in that.

Anyway, my Heisei set came this morning!