Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

Post by Terasawa »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:08 am Dub script makes me appreciate ADV's all the more.
Not just the script but the performances too, IMO. Everyone in the Arrival Films dub sounds bored.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Oh, yeah - totally flat.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

You know, the Legion dub doesn't make as much of an effort to fit the lip movements as the G1 dub, but I just love the performances - especially for Watarase and Honami.

Also, you haven't watched the Legion attacks the Kirin brewery scene until you've watched it while drinking a bottle of Kirin! It's like the movie's in 4D!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I was amused when the commentator for Legion admitted he wasn't a particular fan of the gag dub but understood it had its fans. I'm in the 'meh' camp honestly

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I thought it was hilarious the first time I watched it, around 12 years old. Isn't it called the "redneck" version in the ADV release?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:33 am I thought it was hilarious the first time I watched it, around 12 years old. Isn't it called the "redneck" version in the ADV release?
I think the official name is the "Lake Texarkana dub" but most people just call it the Redneck dub, yeah.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

What is cool: ADV picked up on the gay subtext in G2 and translated it in a straightforward manner in the dub.

Less cool: cheap jokes about it in their "dub outtakes"

:sarcasm:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gay subtext in G2?

Where? Who?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:33 pm Gay subtext in G2?

Where? Who?
Between Obitsu and the JSDF officer who offers to buy him a drink when the operation against Legion is over.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I dunno I honestly took that as chum to chum but hey if you want to do a fan fiction about them that's cool.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I pretty much took it to mean camaraderie too. Men being affectionate for one another is discouraged in western society; that doesn't mean it's gay when it does happen.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

If ADV hadn’t made a joke of it with the Texarkana dub and the “bloopers” I don’t think I would have seen it as anything other than camaraderie, but they basically Inception’d the idea in my brain all those years ago and I have a hard time not hearing those lines even when watching it in Japanese.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

We're just gonna gloss over the moment where he (longingly?) whispers "Obitsu's there." When someone says something like that during a close-up up what am I supposed to think?

Also, it's not exactly P.C. but I feel that both characters are coded somewhat stereotypically. Army guy is fastidious, uptight, and overdressed when we see him in his civvies (did y'all see that turtleneck?). Obitsu constantly feels like he's lacking in the macho department (which is why he feels the need to prove himself and puts himself in so much danger in the end) and his best friend is a girl who seems his greatest confidant.

Pink jacket!

* gesticulates wildly, starts assembling charts and graphs to further theory *

--- edit ---

I think the first time I became aware of this reading was in an issue of G-Fan from the '90s. It may have been the big post-release coverage of the film.
Last edited by Angilasman on Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNntwRm2DCQ
Gamera 55th Anniversary!

Released on January 29, 2021 (Friday)
4K Digital Restoration Ultra HD Blu-ray [HDR Version] Release Commemoration
"Gamera: Guardian of the Universe" 4K HDR version revived with the latest technology for the ultimate cinema experience!

Screening for a limited time at DOLBY CINEMA nationwide from 11/27 (Friday)

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I remember the same kind of responses when I pointed out some amusing undercurrents between Naoko Shindo and Princess Salno. I swear some people think talking about subtext means you're asserting flat-out that it was the author's intention or the only possible reading. :roll:
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:54 am I remember the same kind of responses when I pointed out some amusing undercurrents between Naoko Shindo and Princess Salno. I swear some people think talking about subtext means you're asserting flat-out that it was the author's intention or the only possible reading. :roll:
I'm more surprised that people are surprised by this! As far as I was concerned, it was a pretty well known theoey among fans of the movie.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Sometimes you're watching bonus features and can't help but wonder: how did Kaneko get what is apparently a crew t-shirt for Hollywood film That Thing You Do?

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Is there anywhere that still has the Gamera 4Ks up for pre order and that will ship to the US? Amazon.jp doesn’t have them up

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:14 am Sometimes you're watching bonus features and can't help but wonder: how did Kaneko get what is apparently a crew t-shirt for Hollywood film That Thing You Do?
There's a special effects guy in one of the bonus features for Gamera the Brave with a Godzilla: Final Wars shirt on. Probably worked on both films
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnnoDracula/ ... 5949582340

Kim Newman spills the beans that Arrow is working on a Daimajin trilogy release!

I've been holding off a rewatch of the series as I suspected a new release was on the horizon. Mill Creek's set was already terrific, though.