Godzillathon Portland OR August 30-Sept 1

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
o.supreme
Futurian

Godzillathon Portland OR August 30-Sept 1

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All,

saw this on the Sci-Fi Japan's main page, and I really wish I could go, it seems fun, but I do have some questions....

https://hollywoodtheatre.org/events/godzillathon/

I'm just wondering if all these 35MM Prints will be- the original AIP dub for DAM ,and the 3 Cinema Shares/Downtown Distributions prints of "Monster Island", "Megalon" and "Cosmic Monster"

The Youtube previews seem to indicate as such, though they could be linked from anywhere. Additionally, the 1974 film is advertised as "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla" (no reference to Cosmic Monster), though the 1972 film does reference "On Monster Island".

This would just be a great opportunity to get some info. Who are providing these prints?....and.... if they are what I am hoping, how can we work with these print owners to get them preserved for the future, since Toho doesn't seem to care, or even worse DOES care in that, they want them to be erased from existence.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzillathon Portland OR August 30-Sept 1

Post by eabaker »

Darn. I'm taking a trip to Portland about a week and a half later...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzillathon Portland OR August 30-Sept 1

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I can pretty much guarantee these are the same 35mm prints that have been making the rounds these past few months. I managed to see some of them at the Mahoning Drive-In in PA a few months back. They also mentioned them being licensed screenings, no doubt via Janus. It's definitely worth going to see if you live close enough (I live about 2 hours away from Mahoning, so it was certainly worth it), though I wouldn't really trek across the country to see them given how damaged the prints kind of were (Monster Island fared the best by far, while DAM and Cosmic Monster were completely pink and Megalon was borderline B&W).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....