King Kong vs Godzilla FYE Exclusive Steelbook

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: King Kong vs Godzilla FYE Exclusive Steelbook

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That's right; Blu-ray didn't hit the market until 2006.

I am curious where they get those numbers, though. The only information they give is that total figure, with no source.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I am curious where they get those numbers, though. The only information they give is that total figure, with no source.
Here's what they told me when I asked how they get DVD/Blu Ray sales numbers.

Our DVD and Blu-ray sales estimates are based on weekly retail surveys, which we use to build a weekly market share estimate for each title we are tracking. The market share is converted into a weekly sales estimate based on industry reports on the overall size of the market, including reports published in Media Play News.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Here's a thought. The FYE Steelbook included 2 disc spots on it, and weirdly only included the already existing Blu Ray for Uni's King Kong vs Godzilla.

So...the Criterion set had to have brought Universal and Toho to the table in some form to allow the existence of both versions of the film in the same set. Many studios often re-issue originals when remakes happen, older entries when new sequels are made, etc etc

So....what if Universal decides to work with Toho on their own way to cash in on the eventual 'Godzilla vs Kong' release?

The Steelbook used for FYE, but produced for mass release(into Best Buy and things like that)....disc one being a new restoration of the US version of King Kong vs Godzilla, Disc 2 being a Blu Ray of Toho's 4K restoration of their version. Released perfectly timed for the release of Godzilla vs Kong.

It is a long shot....but it potentially would make a lot of sense for Universal to get in on that "Collector's Edition release" tie-in for the new movie. Again...I'd give it a 1% chance....but it isn't like they haven't already produced the physical steelbooks for the film with 2 disc spots in it.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Chrispy_G wrote:Here's a thought. The FYE Steelbook included 2 disc spots on it, and weirdly only included the already existing Blu Ray for Uni's King Kong vs Godzilla.

So...the Criterion set had to have brought Universal and Toho to the table in some form to allow the existence of both versions of the film in the same set. Many studios often re-issue originals when remakes happen, older entries when new sequels are made, etc etc

So....what if Universal decides to work with Toho on their own way to cash in on the eventual 'Godzilla vs Kong' release?

The Steelbook used for FYE, but produced for mass release(into Best Buy and things like that)....disc one being a new restoration of the US version of King Kong vs Godzilla, Disc 2 being a Blu Ray of Toho's 4K restoration of their version. Released perfectly timed for the release of Godzilla vs Kong.

It is a long shot....but it potentially would make a lot of sense for Universal to get in on that "Collector's Edition release" tie-in for the new movie. Again...I'd give it a 1% chance....but it isn't like they haven't already produced the physical steelbooks for the film with 2 disc spots in it.

Possible, for sure. Like I said waaaay back when the packaging was revealed, the inclusion of the Japanese lettering for the title could have been a sign that the Japanese version was originally going to be included. I doubt, though, that Toho would have allowed them to release the 4k restoration seeing as it hasn't seen the light of day on Japanese home media.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132