Godzilla anime trilogy on Blu-Ray

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
MechaMinya
Yojimbo

Godzilla anime trilogy on Blu-Ray

Post by MechaMinya »

Do you think we will ever see a Blu-Ray release of the Godzilla anime trilogy that features English subtitles and the English dub? It would seem like Funimation would be the obvious choice to release this. Does anyone know how other Netflix shows have found their way to Blu-Ray and by whom? Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer!
Last edited by MechaMinya on Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla anime trilogy on Blu-Ray

Post by UltramanGoji »

Netflix does their own releases and have so far (according to Blu-Ray.com) only released Stranger Things to the format. I think there are also DVDs of Daredevil and some other shows as well.

I don't think we'll be seeing any physical releases for the Anime films for a long time, if not ever in America. There likely isn't enough demand from the general populace to warrant a mass release.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Netflix does their own releases and have so far (according to Blu-Ray.com) only released Stranger Things to the format. I think there are also DVDs of Daredevil and some other shows as well.

I don't think we'll be seeing any physical releases for the Anime films for a long time, if not ever in America. There likely isn't enough demand from the general populace to warrant a mass release.
They did also release The Cloverfield Paradox on Blu Ray and DVD but you're probably right about the lack of demand. Hell I'd buy them cause I liked the trilogy but also because I'm obsessive.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I’ll buy because I have every other Godzilla on DVD/Blu-Ray (and VHS for the older films) and because I’d rather have physical media anyway. Even though I didn’t like the anime films I’d like to have them in my collection.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Jhiaxus
Yojimbo

Post by Jhiaxus »

I'd also love to have the anime trilogy on blu-ray and I wouldn't count it out as a number of Netflix exclusives have been released as physical media! I'm kinda surprised they didn't release them now to tie in with the new films release.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

cloverfan98 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Netflix does their own releases and have so far (according to Blu-Ray.com) only released Stranger Things to the format. I think there are also DVDs of Daredevil and some other shows as well.

They did also release The Cloverfield Paradox on Blu Ray and DVD but you're probably right about the lack of demand. Hell I'd buy them cause I liked the trilogy but also because I'm obsessive.
Probably worth noting that The Cloverfield Paradox wasn't really a Netflix production per se. Paramount had probably already finished it by the time they made whatever deal they made with Netflix, and I imagine they specifically retained home video rights as part of the deal. If memory serves, Netflix's branding isn't anywhere on the Blu-ray.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

MechaMinya wrote:Do you think we will ever see a Blu-Ray release of the Godzilla anime trilogy that features English subtitles and the English dub? It would seem like Funimation would be the obvious choice to release this. Does anyone know how other Netflix shows have found their way to Blu-Ray and by whom? Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer!
They released Daredevil on Blu Ray
Edit: never mind
Last edited by GoWhaleTours on Sun May 12, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GO GO GOJI KUN

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's Godzilla, and not everyone has Netflix. I would think there's a pretty good chance it'll get a Western physical release somewhere down the road, maybe to cash in on the hype surrounding GvK or one of Toho's next Godzilla films.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

martian001
Ronin

Post by martian001 »

I hope so, I've been waiting to hear some sort of word about a physical release of the Anime, but so far nothing. I know all of the Netflix/Marvel series have been and will be released on DVD/Blu.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Probably not anytime soon. I'd love to have physical copies but it just doesn't seem in the cards. Stranger things have happened though so who knows

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

MechaMinya wrote:Do you think we will ever see a Blu-Ray release of the Godzilla anime trilogy that features English subtitles and the English dub? It would seem like Funimation would be the obvious choice to release this. Does anyone know how other Netflix shows have found their way to Blu-Ray and by whom? Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer!
Probably not until whatever distribution deal Toho struck with Netflix expires, I imagine. Netflix has generally avoided physical media releases of anything they get the rights to distribute. If it was a 3-year or 5-year contract it could mean the rights won't revert back to Toho until...somewhere between 2021 and 2025.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I think the soonest would be December of this year. I think it would automatically be in a set that includes all 3 films. Seems more likely they would maybe time it up with Godzilla vs Kong.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

It IS Godzilla after all. I'd seriously be surprised if it didn't get a NA physical release, demand or not.

Might not happen till 2020 though, just my guess.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Godzillian wrote:Probably not anytime soon. I'd love to have physical copies but it just doesn't seem in the cards. Stranger things have happened though so who knows
I assume you did that on purpose.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Its weird. I didn't like the Anime Trilogy that much, but good lord, I want to own the entire Godzilla series in some kind of physical format and the lack of a release for these films just irritates me, lol.

My obsession with being a completist is overriding my feelings towards the films themselves.
Last edited by GojiDog on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

johnboy3434
Monsterland Worker

Post by johnboy3434 »

GojiDog wrote:Its weird. I didn't like the Anime Trilogy that much, but good lord, I want to own the entire Godzilla series in some kind of physical format and the lack of a release for these films just irritates me, lol.

My obsession with being a completist is overriding my feelings towards the films themselves.
Yeah, the fact that I have every single Godzilla and Godzilla-adjacent film (with a Region 1/A release) on my shelf in chronological order EXCEPT FOR THE ANIME TRILOGY is bugging my obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Likewise. Hopefully they will do it, and have the smarts to just go ahead and do it as a set with the entire trilogy together.

If we got it by the end of the year, it would be just another cool little "65 Year Anniversary" bonus for all of us die hard fans. King of the Monsters, The Showa Era Collection, to a lesser degree things like the Mothra and King Kong vs Godzilla Steelbooks. I'm keeping fingers crossed that we might have a bit more coming from other distributors by the end of the year.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Kind of in the same boat as many here. I, by no means, have a complete, or even nearly complete, set of physical releases; but I do have a fair amount. And even though I don't love the anime trilogy, and don't even really like them all that much; I really do want a DVD or Blu-ray release with both the Japanese language with subtitles and the English language versions. :lol:
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I've seen what looks to be bootlegs of it on eBay, has no one checked these out yet?
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

The Malaysian DVDs? Can't say I have; one of the vendors at G-Fest had them but I didn't pick them up.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon