Scorpion Releasing hints at "Japanese Monsters" on Blu-ray

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Scorpion Releasing hints at "Japanese Monsters" on Blu-ray

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I've never heard of Scorpion Releasing, who owns them and what have they done in the past?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Terasawa wrote: War of the Colossal Beast & Earth vs. The Spider

Luckily I was able to find this one DVD at a used local store, and both are decent movies. But War should be watched right after Colossal Man for best effect.

Terasawa wrote:The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)
Do they not care that the entire movie is on YouTube?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I've never heard of Scorpion Releasing, who owns them and what have they done in the past?
I think that it's Kino Lorber that owns them (I'm not really sure, so don't quote me here) and two of the movies that were given to me as a birthday present are Grizzly (1976) on DVD and Day of the Animals (1977) on Blu-ray (I got the first one on DVD because I've seen several reviews that said that the two Blu-ray releases that they did for this film were terrible (and that's being kind here, believe me) and I know that the second one was released on DVD, but I can't find it in stores or anywhere else (I did see it on eBay once, but couldn't get it in time, unfortunately)).

One film that they released that I'd like to get on DVD is Dogs (1976).
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Mr. Yellow wrote:
Boutique labels aren't usually marketing to the kind of audience that'd pass up a good restoration of an old film for a low-quality version on YouTube, so I would say no.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Also I'm not sure the owners of Amazing Colossal Man have entered it into YouTube's Skynet Copyright System so it probably hasn't been automatically flagged.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:Also I'm not sure the owners of Amazing Colossal Man have entered it into YouTube's Skynet Copyright System so it probably hasn't been automatically flagged.
Considering how litigious Hofheinz has been about her films I think you’re right. Ditto Wade Williams.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Mr. Yellow wrote:
Boutique labels aren't usually marketing to the kind of audience that'd pass up a good restoration of an old film for a low-quality version on YouTube, so I would say no.
Not sure what you mean. Usually if something is copyrighted any quality can be flagged.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think I misunderstood what you were saying; I took it as "It's already on YouTube for free, why would they bother trying to sell it?"

In any case, I still think their target market cares enough about quality that it wouldn't really hurt their sales.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

Yeah, Zeiram is kind of / sort of like Predator with a cool creature that morphs. I really enjoyed it ! Kino Lorber doesnt own Scorpion Releasing, they just distribute their titles, and some Code Red titles. Walt Olson owns Scorpion Releasing..its a small boutique label
Last edited by Godsteigman on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I think I misunderstood what you were saying; I took it as "It's already on YouTube for free, why would they bother trying to sell it?"

In any case, I still think their target market cares enough about quality that it wouldn't really hurt their sales.
Nah, I would never say that. YouTube is a last resort, and I’d always want the movie on a disc versus crappy online quality.

In this instance I was able to get a hold of War of the Colossal Beast and wanted to watch The Amazing Colossal Man beforehand.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Mr. Yellow wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:I think I misunderstood what you were saying; I took it as "It's already on YouTube for free, why would they bother trying to sell it?"

Nah, I would never say that. YouTube is a last resort, and I’d always want the movie on a disc versus crappy online quality.

In this instance I was able to get a hold of War of the Colossal Beast and wanted to watch The Amazing Colossal Man beforehand.
They released on DVD in Italy.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
Mr. Yellow wrote:

They released on DVD in Italy.
Thanks, but I only go for US releases personally.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Scorpion recently announced a few titles but no "Japanese monsters" yet:

Angel Unchained (1970)
Bucktown (1975)
Land of Doom (1986)
Robot Holocaust (1986)
Iron Warrior (1987)
Curse III: Blood Sacrifice (1991) (AKA Panga)

Source.

Pretty dismal stuff.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I just can’t seem to put my finger in exactly what it could be. We assumed kaiju, but there’s obviously other types of monsters.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Could be the Yokai Monsters movies? But there's no real connection with MGM.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:Could be the Yokai Monsters movies? But there's no real connection with MGM.
That would be awesome if true. Those movies are so fun. They kinda exist in a world somewhere between Gamera and Majin.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Could be the Yokai Monsters movies? But there's no real connection with MGM.
That would be awesome if true. Those movies are so fun. They kinda exist in a world somewhere between Gamera and Majin.
I think you mean Daimajin.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

You knew what he was talking about, it doesn't matter.

(edited due to misinterpretation)
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote:
Terasawa wrote:That would be awesome if true. Those movies are so fun. They kinda exist in a world somewhere between Gamera and Majin.
I think you mean Daimajin.
I think it was pretty clear what I was talking about. "Majin" has always been an acceptable alternate name for the character. Ed Godziszewski had no problem using that name in this 2006 article, and pay attention to the Daiei publicity pictures with the "Majin" name in English. That was the title the first film screened under in a subtitled form in New York in August 1968. AI-TV's English dubbed version of that film was called Majin, The Monster of Terror and the first sequel was later released by AI-TV as Return of Giant Majin.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Sorry about that. I always thought that Daimajin was the name that was considered official now.