MGM's three Toho films: Why no DVD/Blu-ray release with subtitled/dubbed versions?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

MGM's three Toho films: Why no DVD/Blu-ray release with subtitled/dubbed versions?

Post by mikelcho »

I just got G-Fan #121 and it has a new article on The Human Vapor. At the end, it states the reason why MGM has not given their three Toho films (this one, The Last War and Gorath) a proper DVD/Blu-ray release in subtitled/dubbed version combinations.

It states two reasons. One I already knew from learning about it here (the existing prints have deteriorated to the point of turning pink), but the other I learned in the article, which I quote here: "MGM is apparently not interested in working with Toho to get usable materials."

I figure that that explains why, say, MGM isn't going to release a 3-in-1 release of the films similar to what Sony did with their three films (The H-Man, Battle in Outer Space and Mothra). That and the possibility that the Sony release might not have sold well, because the last time that it saw it, it was in one of the Barnes and Noble bargain disc sections and after that, I haven't seen it in any store since.

That's what I found out. Thoughts or opinions?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: MGM's three Toho films: Why no DVD/Blu-ray release with subtitled/dubbed versions?

Post by Maritonic »

Did this warrant it's own thread?

That's basically what viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24428&start=120 is for.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: MGM's three Toho films: Why no DVD/Blu-ray release with subtitled/dubbed versions?

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The Human Vapor doesn't even have a Blu-Ray release in Japan despite the critical acclaim it got, there's little demand for any of these three in the West.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Maritonic wrote:Did this warrant it's own thread?

That's basically what viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24428&start=120 is for.
Okay, my mistake. If an admin wants to switch this over to Toho Media or merge this with Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread, be my guest, please.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Admins, could one of you please switch this thread over to Toho Media?

Thank you.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Dude, your question has been answered. Why does this thread need more traffic?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Imagine if MGM actually co-produced films with Toho.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Could someone please move this subforum over to the Toho Media section? That would be very helpful.

UPDATE: Thanks a lot to whoever did this! Now it's in the right spot.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.