Japanese Heisei VHS Import Subtitles

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Silent.Séance
Ronin

Japanese Heisei VHS Import Subtitles

Post by Silent.Séance »

Like many fans during the 90's, if I wanted to watch the newer Godzilla films released, I'd have to have them imported from Japan. Luckily these VHS tapes had English subtitles. As far as I know, these English subtitles were actually put out by TOHO. Over the years and after seeing the official North American Releases subtitles, I realized I much preferred those subtitles on my imported VHS tapes. I've recently started a project and have been writing out the subtitles for the Heisei era films to be put on HD versions of the films(hopefully prints from the Japanese blu-rays). I've already completed Space Godzilla and am currently working on Destoroyah. So what are your thoughts? Did you have these VHS's? What you think of the subtitles?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Japanese Heisei VHS Import Subtitles

Post by Terasawa »

These were bootlegs, Toho has never offered English subtitled editions of their films on video. And while these are nostalgic for me, the subtitles aren’t very good.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Silent.Séance
Ronin

Post by Silent.Séance »

Terasawa wrote:These were bootlegs, Toho has never offered English subtitled editions of their films on video. And while these are nostalgic for me, the subtitles aren’t very good.
Well that's a bummer to hear that their bootlegs (although not surprising). I suppose at this point I'm just used to them after watching them over and over.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Did they have the Dolby Digital (quite nonsensical on VHS) "train" promo at the start of the tape? Or phony "overtures" with a still shot from the film under bits of the soundtrack? If so, those were from Video Daikaiju.
Last edited by Joseph Goodman on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Joseph Goodman wrote:Did they have the Dolby Digital (quite nonsensical on VHS) "train" promo at the start of the tape? Or phony "overtures" with a still shot from the film under bits of the soundtrack? If so, those were from Video Daikaiju.
Hahaha, yuup. Man, just thinking about those brings me back.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.