Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Good lord, I visited Video Daikaju's website for the sheer hell of it, and they're stuck in the 90s. :lol: You still need to order a catalog to see what they even have for Christ's sake. I guess that could be a way of evading potential lawsuits, but there much more modern ways of doing that (Like requiring those that want to view it to sign up). And they're still updating it, since there are new Toku shows showcased on the front page. There is no denying they played an integral part of making many titles accessible in the 90s-early 2000s, even with there terrible "guess" subs, but to call them obsolete now would be an understatement. I was expecting to see a Nader/Daluke 2000 bumper at the bottom of the page.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

They were great when they were the only affordable option for the uncut versions and people didn't know any better.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Good lord, I visited Video Daikaju's website for the sheer hell of it, and they're stuck in the 90s. :lol: You still need to order a catalog to see what they even have for Christ's sake. I guess that could be a way of evading potential lawsuits, but there much more modern ways of doing that (Like requiring those that want to view it to sign up). And they're still updating it, since there are new Toku shows showcased on the front page. There is no denying they played an integral part of making many titles accessible in the 90s-early 2000s, even with there terrible "guess" subs, but to call them obsolete now would be an understatement. I was expecting to see a Nader/Daluke 2000 bumper at the bottom of the page.
That's nothing; I bought a subbed bootleg of The Mighty Peking Man from an outfit called Monsterland Toys at G-Fest in 2008. Some years later I went to look at their website, and the bottom of the homepage was this baffling compilation of Facebook boomer-tier conservative memes. Their site isn't active anymore (don't visit the actual domain if you're at work), but it was as late as May 2014, but the weird collection of right-wing memes and copypasta (which first appears on the second capture of the site, the first after 9/11), seems to have peaked in size sometime around the turn of the decade.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:Good lord, I visited Video Daikaju's website for the sheer hell of it, and they're stuck in the 90s. :lol: You still need to order a catalog to see what they even have for Christ's sake. I guess that could be a way of evading potential lawsuits, but there much more modern ways of doing that (Like requiring those that want to view it to sign up). And they're still updating it, since there are new Toku shows showcased on the front page. There is no denying they played an integral part of making many titles accessible in the 90s-early 2000s, even with there terrible "guess" subs, but to call them obsolete now would be an understatement. I was expecting to see a Nader/Daluke 2000 bumper at the bottom of the page.
That's nothing; I bought a subbed bootleg of The Mighty Peking Man from an outfit called Monsterland Toys at G-Fest in 2008. Some years later I went to look at their website, and the bottom of the homepage was this baffling compilation of Facebook boomer-tier conservative memes. Their site isn't active anymore (don't visit the actual domain if you're at work), but it was as late as May 2014, but the weird collection of right-wing memes and copypasta (which first appears on the second capture of the site, the first after 9/11), seems to have peaked in size sometime around the turn of the decade.
Obama must have put them out of business.

I've got a copy of Gamera vs. Viras from Monsterland "Films" which was signed by Carl "Kurl Crane" Craig.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I always just figured VD kept doing catalogue only so as to not get shut down. Keeping a minimal to zero online presence is not a bad idea. Not foolproof, but definitely makes it harder to track. Also it seems like things just shift, everyone who was selling on Ioffer (now that it got shut down), has moved on to pinterest (of all places), and of course, you can do a google search and hit a dozen pirates without even trying, much less what's on eBay. It definitely has the feel of a bygone era. I'm glad we live in a time when so much is made available through legitimate means.

Also I feel glad that the fan community is close enough to share our collective *treasures* with each other without having to shell out money to pirates.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:That's nothing; I bought a subbed bootleg of The Mighty Peking Man from an outfit called Monsterland Toys at G-Fest in 2008. Some years later I went to look at their website, and the bottom of the homepage was this baffling compilation of Facebook boomer-tier conservative memes. Their site isn't active anymore (don't visit the actual domain if you're at work), but it was as late as May 2014, but the weird collection of right-wing memes and copypasta (which first appears on the second capture of the site, the first after 9/11), seems to have peaked in size sometime around the turn of the decade.
I remember them, lol. Don't think I ever bought anything, but I certainly remember their site. There's something peculiar about a site that specializes in selling Japanese toys/movies spewing all of that MURICA shit, no?

I remember these dudes (They had a real generic name ala Monsterland Toys, though I guess it wasn't that) I bought some stuff from at a con that seemed nice and all, but had a ton of Jesus stuff on their site. But when you clicked on a certain Jesusy page, it gave you a discount code called "Jesussaves" that got you $10 off your purchase!
o.supreme wrote:I always just figured VD kept doing catalogue only so as to not get shut down. Keeping a minimal to zero online presence is not a bad idea.
I just don't see what Video Daikaiju would possibly have to offer that other, more easily-accessible sites don't in this day and age.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I remember these dudes (They had a real generic name ala Monsterland Toys, though I guess it wasn't that) I bought some stuff from at a con that seemed nice and all, but had a ton of Jesus stuff on their site. But when you clicked on a certain Jesusy page, it gave you a discount code called "Jesussaves" that got you $10 off your purchase!
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Image
Make that three! One of the kings of overpriced bootlegs (Only of movies readily available for probably half the price).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Monster Island Toys has continued to the present day and yet to travel the straight and narrow.

When it comes to bootleg discs, one of my biggest non-legal objections is with cost saving measures like condensing down a film that originally fit on a dual-layer disc to fit on a single layer disc or to excise the extras to get the main feature on the single layer. Dubtitles and Google-translate quality subtitles are also a big annoyance.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I just don't see what Video Daikaiju would possibly have to offer that other, more easily-accessible sites don't in this day and age.
There are still many fans that aren't nearly as savvy to be able to find what they want online. I myself am no expert, it's only been through the grace of a generous fandom that I've obtained pretty much all I want and more. There are still folks that set up booths at cons with pirated stuff, and they sell quite a bit. I was most shocked though about 3 years ago, I went to the California State Fair and saw a vender with a ton of bootlegs, not just of Japanese stuff, but of Everything. Pretty much any DVD title that had been OOP for 3 years or more, he had. Of course it didn't look like he was selling very much, and hopefully he got shut down at some point. My main source back in the day actually wasn't VD, it was coolstuff. He was mostly on the west coast and was at SDCC and all the larger conventions.
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I thought that respectable conventions like G-FEST would run the pirates and the bootleggers out of the dealer areas.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Great Hierophant wrote:respectable conventions like G-FEST
Well there's your problem ;)
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

MaxRebo320 wrote:and they're stuck in the 90s.
I wish I could back to the 90s. I was 15-25 that decade. I'm still looking for a time portal that I can go through to go back to that decade. I'd be out of here so fast. ...

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Great Hierophant wrote:Monster Island Toys has continued to the present day and yet to travel the straight and narrow.

When it comes to bootleg discs, one of my biggest non-legal objections is with cost saving measures like condensing down a film that originally fit on a dual-layer disc to fit on a single layer disc or to excise the extras to get the main feature on the single layer. Dubtitles and Google-translate quality subtitles are also a big annoyance.
A certain bootleg site does the same thing with bluray releases and hilariously charges close to as much as the actual blurays at times. And slaps their logo all over the cover and menus. It's hilarious that people still buy from them.
Last edited by G-MAN on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Speaking of VD I actually got a catalog update from them yesterday. So funny they never upgraded to HD. Only DVD still.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla21 wrote:Speaking of VD I actually got a catalog update from them yesterday. So funny they never upgraded to HD. Only DVD still.
And it wouldn't surprise me if some of their DVD titles are still analog masters created from LaserDisc. They were still selling some films that way in 2009 (the last time I ordered from them), even though some of those films had already been available on R2 DVD for years at that point.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I've purchased things a few times from them after I moved to Brazil in 2004, namely Godzilla: Final Wars (which eventually got a Brazilian release); Agon, the Atomic Dragon; Reigo and Raiga; and Shin Godzilla. Now that the exchange rate is as bad as it is (more than 5 reals to the dollar), it's not worth it to buy from them anymore.

But we have a Brazilian equivalent here called Loja Nebulosam78, plus we have a Japantown that has a few stores selling anime and tokusatsu boots.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Guys, let's try to curb discussion of specific bootleg retailers.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

The only thing that could make me look forward to a new Toho NA release is the possibility of authentic subtitles, but knowing how Gorath's official German subtitles are derived from the bootleg "translation", I feel like even certain NA release subtitles are worthy of suspicion - not the Criterion releases, but maybe the Columbia films... we know a bunch of those are dubtitled, anyway.
Last edited by Tamura on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Tamura wrote:but knowing how Gorath's official German subtitles are derived from the bootleg "translation"
For real? Wow, I guess that saves you the cost of hiring an actual translator
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...