Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
B34sT
Interpol Agent

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Post by B34sT »

Godzilla vs Megalon has a new cover on Amazon's Starz page. Just Godzilla's headshot while using atomic breath. Idk if it is something that has been discussed but it could mean the art we have seen is still likely to change.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

B34sT wrote:Godzilla vs Megalon has a new cover on Amazon's Starz page. Just Godzilla's headshot while using atomic breath. Idk if it is something that has been discussed but it could mean the art we have seen is still likely to change.
That's just the cover Fandor had when it was on their service. As a side note, Amazon has a Blu-ray of Megalon on Pre-order here:https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Vs-Mega ... vs+megalon.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Says it's by Tokyo Shock (Media Blasters for those not in the know), which would imply that they haven't lost their home video license for it yet. I'm assuming they're just trying to push out some old stock (?) Who knows.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Still bugs me that criterion never put out any sort of press release that they got the rights. As some only knew before they pipped up on starz with the criterion logo due to some fans wanting to screen films and being told that janus films has the rights. And even since we've only got brief pieces of info that they want to release them on bluray and other than that they've just been on filmstruck and starz with no real word or announcements

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

G-MAN wrote:Still bugs me that criterion never put out any sort of press release that they got the rights. As some only knew before they pipped up on starz with the criterion logo due to some fans wanting to screen films and being told that janus films has the rights. And even since we've only got brief pieces of info that they want to release them on bluray and other than that they've just been on filmstruck and starz with no real word or announcements
I like to hope that they won't make any kind of announcement until they have something really noteworthy to announce. "Hey we've got 11 of the movies and will probably put them on Blu Ray some day!" isn't exactly the most insane thing in the world.

If they are gunning for the first 50 years of films, orchestrating sub-license agreements....trying to figure out rights for multiple options and multiple dubs....it will take time.

Heck...even if they were only going for the Showa era, or the 11 films they have confirmed so far....there's certainly a lot they could be occupied with. From possibly securing previously existing extras, finding new/better prints to create new/better transfers from, who knows.

Maybe all of these transfers/restorations will be "Toho Approved" and Criterion is working with them on all of this.

I feel confident that whatever they are up to....A Box Set, 2-3 Box Sets, a series of double/triple feature releases....whichever....I think it isn't coming until 2019.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I just want the Titan/Titra dubs of Son and Sea Monster. Tis all I ask. Watched Brandon Tenold's review of the Sea Monster DVD and the international dub is terrible.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I just want the Titan/Titra dubs of Son and Sea Monster. Tis all I ask. Watched Brandon Tenold's review of the Sea Monster DVD and the international dub is terrible.
Fortunately for me, I have no reason to watch the dubs since the Japanese version is an option. I just hope someday Universal will release KKvsG in its original form so that the only movie I ever have to watch dubbed again is 2000 (if I choose to).

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

For those two movies in particular I find the US dubs to be part of their charm.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat May 19, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SonofAnguirus
Yojimbo

Post by SonofAnguirus »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:For those two movies in particular I find the US dubs to be part of their charm.
Although it's not one of the better Millennium movies, I still like to watch Godzilla vs. Megaguirus dubbed every once in a while - mostly to hear Hajime boast about how they're going to use the Dimension Tide to "make Godzilla disappear up his own butthole."

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Chrispy_G wrote:
G-MAN wrote:Still bugs me that criterion never put out any sort of press release that they got the rights. As some only knew before they pipped up on starz with the criterion logo due to some fans wanting to screen films and being told that janus films has the rights. And even since we've only got brief pieces of info that they want to release them on bluray and other than that they've just been on filmstruck and starz with no real word or announcements
I like to hope that they won't make any kind of announcement until they have something really noteworthy to announce. "Hey we've got 11 of the movies and will probably put them on Blu Ray some day!" isn't exactly the most insane thing in the world.

If they are gunning for the first 50 years of films, orchestrating sub-license agreements....trying to figure out rights for multiple options and multiple dubs....it will take time.

Heck...even if they were only going for the Showa era, or the 11 films they have confirmed so far....there's certainly a lot they could be occupied with. From possibly securing previously existing extras, finding new/better prints to create new/better transfers from, who knows.

Maybe all of these transfers/restorations will be "Toho Approved" and Criterion is working with them on all of this.

I feel confident that whatever they are up to....A Box Set, 2-3 Box Sets, a series of double/triple feature releases....whichever....I think it isn't coming until 2019.

I'm not saying that they should've made an announcement like that right out the gate. But it is a bit annoying that they didn't announce anything until after many fans emailed them as all the films they currently hold the rights to. All pooped up on starz with their logo on them. And yes I know they have to do tons of stuff and have to deal with many things when it comes to restoring them and all extras they could possibly put out if they do get to put them out on bluray.

But the fact still is that they never made an announcement that they had acquired them which most companies would with a sizeable library like this as even when shoutfactory's parent company or whatever bought the digital streaming rights they made a big deal about that.

And I agree about the 2019 being the year that we could possibly see some releases as most studios want to release stuff to tie in with a new film to maximize profits and I have no problem with that as I hope criterion puts the work in and finds some high quality prints for the American versions like they usually do.

And again my main issue was that criterion has not made an official announcement other than when the films got put on filmstruck and just mentioning that they were on there.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

They have big banners on the Filmstruck website advertising the films. There's no need for an announcement until they're ready to release them to disc.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I'm hoping it's more that they are conversing with Toho, Kraken, and Universal, trying to do a full on Showa era box set. That would be the greatest thing to happen to Godzilla since 1964.

Pandadug
Ronin

Post by Pandadug »

A quick question: when it is said that Criterion owns these Godzilla movies now, does that mean that they own the American and the Japanese version of each film or just the American version?

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Pandadug wrote:A quick question: when it is said that Criterion owns these Godzilla movies now, does that mean that they own the American and the Japanese version of each film or just the American version?
It means Criterion owns the license to everything in the US.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Pandadug wrote:A quick question: when it is said that Criterion owns these Godzilla movies now, does that mean that they own the American and the Japanese version of each film or just the American version?
It means Criterion owns the license to everything in the US.

To echo and expand upon that, Criterion can release whatever version of the film they choose, but Toho has made it extremely difficult to put anything out that isn't part of their "approved" versions. I say that in quotations because as far as I know they haven't blocked a licensed distributor from putting out, say, the AIP dub of Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, but they haven't done anything that we're aware of to preserve that dub either. So most smaller labels like Kraken -- who can't afford to do restorative work -- stick with the Japanese and International dubs since Toho has kept them in decent shape and readily available.

This (hopefully) won't apply to Criterion since they are fully capable of restoring the English versions of these films as they did for GKOTM.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I'm hoping it's more that they are conversing with Toho, Kraken, and Universal, trying to do a full on Showa era box set. That would be the greatest thing to happen to Godzilla since 1964.
I would be inclined to say that would happen but stranger things have happened. A similar situation happened when Scream Factory managed to release a complete Halloween series boxset and seeing how Toho is eager to actually market Godzilla to the US and the rest of the world this would be a great beginning for that.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

If they are willing to try and bring Toho, Kraken, and Universal to the table for a Showa Box Set....they might as well go one bridge further and talk to Sony....which would open them up to the rest of the films, with Biollante being the exception. They could, in theory, do a complete 'First 50 years' collection.

Just saying, if you are willing to talk to 3 companies to try and get the first 15 films(which a deal with Kraken actually gets them up to Return of Godzilla, so 16 films)...you may as well talk to a 4th company that opens up an additional 12 films from 91-04....then Biollante is the only one to clear up.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Very optimistic thinking. Would love for that to happen of course.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's far more likely for Criterion to score the entire Showa series than for them to try and get the Heisei series. If they released what they have now, it'd be an incomplete set which I don't think they've ever done before.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If Criterion can get the shows films from Krakken I'd rather they spend the extra money on getting Godzilla 1985 included. Biollante-Final Wars is fine for now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image