Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Universal, if memory serves, doesn’t seem to mind sub-licensing less prestigious titles to other people if they can’t be bothered doing anything with them themselves. I think Shout! Factory has released a fair amount of older Universal-owned genre titles, and Criterion’s released Universal films ranging from cult stuff like Repo Man to higher-profile films like Moonrise Kingdom and The Breakfast Club. I wouldn’t hold my breath for them to acquire KKvG, but it’s not entirely outside the realm of possibility
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Universal couldn't even be bothered to release it on VHS themselves, and sub-licensed it to Goodtimes; who then released it on an EP mode VHS in 1987, and called it a day. It never even made it to LaserDisc, since Goodtimes didn't dabble in the format.

There's two (obvious) things to take away from this.

1) Universal has never really cared about this movie. Goodtimes released the movie *twice* (the first DVD release from '98 is from them), and it wasn't until 2005 that Universal actually created a new transfer for that barbones DVD release. They did the same thing again in 2014, and rather surprisingly, made another new transfer for the Blu-Ray release. In short, they care enough to cash-in on new Kong or Godzilla movies, but otherwise, the higher ups hardly consider it one of their 'classic' monster movies.

2) Like omgitsgodzilla pointed out, Universal seem to be pretty cool with sub-licensing their titles, so if a company like Criterion inquired about it, I can't imagine that they'd refuse. They could easily re-release their 2014 BD release in 2020 in new packaging with a potential Criterion release also on the market, and it wouldn't impact sales. Your casual Walmart buyer that pulls KKvG out of the bargain bin probably couldn't care less about a version that costs like $30, no matter what's on it. They just wanna ride a nostalgia wave, and see a "cheesy monster movie with bad dubbing".

There are also plenty of instances of there being a 'deluxe' release for a film (usually from Shout/Scream Factory), and a barebones release from a major studio, on the market at the same time.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

The new master for the BD is because the one used on the DVD was destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire, which destroyed a lot of Universal video masters.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Joseph Goodman wrote:The new master for the BD is because the one used on the DVD was destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire, which destroyed a lot of Universal video masters.
Was that actually 1080 line or just 576 line on account of the PAL DVD? (I know the UK DVD isn't an upscale cause it's got a sliver of picture info you can't see in the NTSC disc).
Last edited by Space Hunter M on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Wouldn't know about it being HD or PAL/NTSC; the source of the "old master got burned in 2008" story was Jameson281 (I think that's Gary Teetzel, who works for MGM) over on the Classic Horror FIlmboard.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
mikelcho wrote:My guess is that G vs. Megalon will be the same as the Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock release: the unedited Japanese version with both English subtitles and the unedited English dubbing. Am I right, I hope?
It could be, but it might not be the exact same masters. Criterion tends to remaster their releases themselves.
That'll make them even better than the first releases! I mean it, can it possibly get any better than this?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Are you trying to place your reply on a specific post, like on Facebook/Reddit comments? Because I don't think there's a way to do that.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Actually, I'm trying to remove the one that's now above "Added in 3 minutes 26 seconds" and everything below that one. Can anyone help me out here?

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

mikelcho wrote:Actually, I'm trying to remove the one that's now above "Added in 3 minutes 26 seconds" and everything below that one. Can anyone help me out here?
Just edit the post and delete everything you don't want in it
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thank you! That was a big help.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

They're gonna be on Filmstruck on the 8th.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:They're gonna be on Filmstruck on the 8th.
What’s Filmstruck?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It’s the main streaming platform Criterion uses for their films.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:It’s the main streaming platform Criterion uses for their films.
Is it available to watch in Canada?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Who knows. Do some research and check their website.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Goji wrote:Who knows. Do some research and check their website.
I read a source from a year ago stating that they desired to do so.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/sta ... 9946459137
What's interesting is they mention fourteen films for streaming. Are they simply including Rodan & Gargantuas in there as Godzilla films, and maybe King of the Monsters separately?

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Yes, counting Rodan, WoTG, and KoTM as a separate film from Gojira, you get 14 titles.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Goji wrote:Universal couldn't even be bothered to release it on VHS themselves, and sub-licensed it to Goodtimes; who then released it on an EP mode VHS in 1987, and called it a day. It never even made it to LaserDisc, since Goodtimes didn't dabble in the format.

There's two (obvious) things to take away from this.

1) Universal has never really cared about this movie. Goodtimes released the movie *twice* (the first DVD release from '98 is from them), and it wasn't until 2005 that Universal actually created a new transfer for that barbones DVD release. They did the same thing again in 2014, and rather surprisingly, made another new transfer for the Blu-Ray release. In short, they care enough to cash-in on new Kong or Godzilla movies, but otherwise, the higher ups hardly consider it one of their 'classic' monster movies.

2) Like omgitsgodzilla pointed out, Universal seem to be pretty cool with sub-licensing their titles, so if a company like Criterion inquired about it, I can't imagine that they'd refuse. They could easily re-release their 2014 BD release in 2020 in new packaging with a potential Criterion release also on the market, and it wouldn't impact sales. Your casual Walmart buyer that pulls KKvG out of the bargain bin probably couldn't care less about a version that costs like $30, no matter what's on it. They just wanna ride a nostalgia wave, and see a "cheesy monster movie with bad dubbing".

There are also plenty of instances of there being a 'deluxe' release for a film (usually from Shout/Scream Factory), and a barebones release from a major studio, on the market at the same time.
Another possibility is maybe Universal buying out Criterion outright.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I don't know what Criterion's exact current situation is - I know they have some ongoing deals with major studios - but if they're currently not owned by anyone, I think it's probably better that they stay that way. The fact that they don't seem to be directly beholden to a larger company with a vested interest in pushing its own product is pretty vital to their credibility as sort of a highbrow label.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon