Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by miguelnuva »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:08 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm I lost the link but someone was doing marketing analysts on the Criterion set and estimated Tohomlikely cost themselves 25 to 30% of profits from G fans but not including the dubs for the early showa films as well.

Wish I could find the link again but I could see that. If 4 G fans saw this set that means 3 out of 4 still bought it.
Snip
The set was going to ways sale like that. The post was saying it would have done 25-30% better than what it is not that it sold 25%-30% less then why Criterion was expecting.

Let's say Criterion wanted to sale 100 units and they ended up selling 120, they would be better than they were expecting. Had Toho let them have the dubs the analysis writer was saying it could have been 150 units.

The sales weren't bad the article was just saying they could have been better.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm I lost the link but someone was doing marketing analysts on the Criterion set and estimated Tohomlikely cost themselves 25 to 30% of profits from G fans but not including the dubs for the early showa films as well.

Wish I could find the link again but I could see that. If 4 G fans saw this set that means 3 out of 4 still bought it.
Snip
The set was going to ways sale like that. The post was saying it would have done 25-30% better than what it is not that it sold 25%-30% less then why Criterion was expecting.

Let's say Criterion wanted to sale 100 units and they ended up selling 120, they would be better than they were expecting. Had Toho let them have the dubs the analysis writer was saying it could have been 150 units.

How many total Godzilla fans do you think passed on the set because of the absence of those dubs, though? To make that kind of difference, the number would have to be - I'm thinking teens of thousands, at least, but I'm just spitballing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Nevermind the notion that Criterion could have sold 30% more units had they been able to clear those dubbed versions, I'd like to know this guy's analysis on how better the set would have sold had they been able to do their own transfers or include more than just a couple of exclusive bonus features.

:P
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Do you think that one day Criterion will release a set containing the non-Godzilla kaiju films?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:17 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 pm

Snip

How many total Godzilla fans do you think passed on the set because of the absence of those dubs, though? To make that kind of difference, the number would have to be - I'm thinking teens of thousands, at least, but I'm just spitballing.
I don't know how the data was gathered or what was shown that the analyst came to his result.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Here is some relevant data. Criterion’s Godzilla set has grossed $8,021,571 in domestic video sales to date.

Most of the people who’ve purchased this set have probably gotten it for the $112.49 price that Barnes & Noble established (50% off MSRP) and Amazon matched. For the sake of lowballing it, though, and to account for those who bought it at a higher price, let’s say that everyone who bought the set paid $140 for it. That total of $8,021,571 in sales at $140 per unit would mean 57,296 units sold, and that’s lowballing it.

With even 57,000 units sold, selling 25% more would mean 14,000 additional people purchasing the set. Does anyone really believe there are 14,000 Godzilla fans who have refused to buy Criterion’s Godzilla set because it lacks certain US cuts and English dubs?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:20 pm Here is some relevant data. Criterion’s Godzilla set has grossed $8,021,571 in domestic video sales to date.

Most of the people who’ve purchased this set have probably gotten it for the $112.49 price that Barnes & Noble established (50% off MSRP) and Amazon matched. For the sake of lowballing it, though, and to account for those who bought it at a higher price, let’s say that everyone who bought the set paid $140 for it. That total of $8,021,571 in sales at $140 per unit would mean 57,296 units sold, and that’s lowballing it.

With even 57,000 units sold, selling 25% more would mean 14,000 additional people purchasing the set. Does anyone really believe there are 14,000 Godzilla fans who have refused to buy Criterion’s Godzilla set because it lacks certain US cuts and English dubs?
I'm positive not all Godzilla fans bought this set and not only Godzilla fans would have bought the set. 14,000 does seem a lot but it also doesn't seem impossible.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

"How could you possibly know that?"
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 pm
StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:20 pm Here is some relevant data. Criterion’s Godzilla set has grossed $8,021,571 in domestic video sales to date.

I'm positive not all Godzilla fans bought this set and not only Godzilla fans would have bought the set. 14,000 does seem a lot but it also doesn't seem impossible.
14,000 absolutely seems impossible.

Added in 3 minutes 8 seconds:
Just for some context; this entire forum only has about 4,900 members.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I didn't buy it because of the inferior dubs silly goose, I didn't buy it because I had no bloody money.

Where's the numbers for those of us who didn't get it because we poor.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:24 pm I didn't buy it because of the inferior dubs silly goose, I didn't buy it because I had no bloody money.

If Criterion had included the dubs, you could illegally charge all your friends to come to your house to watch them, and then you'd be able to justify the expense, so you would have bought the set.

Checkmate, Criterion.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^^^^^^^ this guy gets it.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:01 pm Do you think that one day Criterion will release a set containing the non-Godzilla kaiju films?
It's certainly possible but unclear how likely that'd be. If the right movies came along, sure. Frankly, given Criterion's work with the Lone Wolf & Cub films, Zatoichi, among others, a Daimajin set wouldn't shock me. Right now I think a lot of fans want them to release War of the Gargantuas and Rodan, which they've now had for years and have not yet done.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:19 am
It's certainly possible but unclear how likely that'd be. If the right movies came along, sure. Frankly, given Criterion's work with the Lone Wolf & Cub films, Zatoichi, among others, a Daimajin set wouldn't shock me. Right now I think a lot of fans want them to release War of the Gargantuas and Rodan, which they've now had for years and have not yet done.
You might wanna look at what Arrow’s been up to with regards to Daimajin...
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

goji1986 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:06 am
Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:19 am
You might wanna look at what Arrow’s been up to with regards to Daimajin...
Yeah that's right! Still, point being a movie/series like Daimajin is more in line with Criterion's normal work than something like Yog or Varan.
고질라

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:06 pmYeah that's right! Still, point being a movie/series like Daimajin is more in line with Criterion's normal work than something like Yog or Varan.
Maybe Mill Creek to license the rest of the Showa Toho films. They've got Mothra after all.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:07 pm
Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:06 pmYeah that's right! Still, point being a movie/series like Daimajin is more in line with Criterion's normal work than something like Yog or Varan.
Maybe Mill Creek to license the rest of the Showa Toho films. They've got Mothra after all.
One can only hope. Media Blasters put out so much non-Godzilla Toho sci-fi on DVD back in the day, but they're all since long out of print and no distributor has shown interest in a single title I can think of.

But MC may have their hands full with all the Ultra content, which covers a lot of sci-fi from Japan, both classic and modern.
고질라

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I bought this back on Monday and it arrived yesterday. Already love it. Any word if a similar collection for the Heisei and Millennium series might be coming?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

eabaker wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:44 am
goji89 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:24 pm I didn't buy it because of the inferior dubs silly goose, I didn't buy it because I had no bloody money.

If Criterion had included the dubs, you could illegally charge all your friends to come to your house to watch them, and then you'd be able to justify the expense, so you would have bought the set.

Checkmate, Criterion.
Illegal streaming advocation in MY Toho Kingdom Thread?!

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:23 am I bought this back on Monday and it arrived yesterday. Already love it. Any word if a similar collection for the Heisei and Millennium series might be coming?
Janus/Criterion only have the rights to the Showa series.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.