Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Criterion and Starz streaming Godzilla films

Post by Rody »

Honestly, I don't mind if it takes a while for these films to get physical releases, if it means Criterion giving their all to deliver a supreme package. Having multiple restored cuts of each film, plus various types of special features (new and old; Criterion often does a mix) would certainly take time.

Actually - and I doubt it, but for speculation's sake - I wonder if Janus Films could/would offer additional funds for the 4k project?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I wonder if they'd release them all at once or two a time like Classic Media

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I just managed to acquire all the Godzilla films on DVD/Blu Ray even the out of print ones but I WILL buy these releases if they happen. I just hope we get some great special features akin to the Gojira Blu Ray.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

My guess is we'll get a box set. Most of these films on their own don't really seem like Criterion material, but taken as a whole they represent an era that's had a huge effect on pop culture. Individually I don't think they're necessarily up to snuff, but collectively I could see it.

Added in 49 minutes 6 seconds:
Looks like the February titles are up. Some neat stuff, but no Godzilla.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

https://www.facebook.com/CriterionColle ... 6986875565

Criterion just announced their February release slate, and sure enough there’s no Godzilla...yet. Another month!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Night of the Living Dead is an amazing choice. Hopefully that turns out spectacular.

Not surprised at the lack of Godzilla. I can only imagine Criterion has just begun looking for materials and prepping a possible disc release.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I can see them wanting to release closer to KotM, but that's really far away.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

GalacticPetey wrote:I can see them wanting to release closer to KotM, but that's really far away.
Eh, they released the original in January 2012, which was nowhere near Legendary's release date. I don't think that really plays a huge role in their release schedule.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:My guess is we'll get a box set. Most of these films on their own don't really seem like Criterion material, but taken as a whole they represent an era that's had a huge effect on pop culture. Individually I don't think they're necessarily up to snuff, but collectively I could see it.

Added in 49 minutes 6 seconds:
Looks like the February titles are up. Some neat stuff, but no Godzilla.
Yep! And I don't think each movie would have piles of extras either like a traditional, individual Criterion movie. I don't think the box set I am mostly thinking of is the Zatoichi set, which does have extra but I don't think each movie has a bunch of them. Could be incorrect about that though.

And about including Godzilla (1954), I think they'd include it actually as the pedigree of it is unrivaled by any other giant monster movie other than 1933's King Kong and it ever more complete their collection.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:I can see them wanting to release closer to KotM, but that's really far away.
Eh, they released the original in January 2012, which was nowhere near Legendary's release date. I don't think that really plays a huge role in their release schedule.
If memory serves, when news first broke that Legendary was going to make a Godzilla movie, the intended release window was 2012. There's no way to tell if this is connected to Criterion's release of Gojira, but it bears mentioning.

That said, Gojira was just one movie. And when they first got the rights to it, they gave either CM's or Toho's print to Hulu for streaming while their restoration was being done. Criterion now has an additional 10 movies to potentially restore, a process which could take considerable time - maybe longer depending on whether or not they include any American or International versions.

I cant recall how long it took for Criterion's DVD and Blu-ray to be released after they started streaming the old master of Gojira on Hulu, but I would not be surprised if it took them until 2019 when KOTM comes out, or even 2020 when Godzilla vs Kong comes out.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Goji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
goji1986 wrote:
Let me reiterate: there is NO release being officially discussed as of yet, just the fact that Janus/Criterion has gotten the rights and has made the titles available for streaming on Starz. That's it. There's a rumor that it will happen down the line, but we have zero information. That being said, there is no doubt both versions will be included as they did before. You should absolutely seek out the current release of Gojira/GKOTM if you haven't already.
Oh, I'm way ahead of you, my friend. I recently bought a copy of the current release at Barnes & Noble for half-price. You see, they have a Criterion sale every so often (and more than once a year), so what would've normally cost $29.99, I got for $19.99.
If you already have it, then what was all that confusion (on your end) about earlier? :lol:

If there is some kind of boxset, and the original film is included (which may not be wise, since it's nearly 7 years old now, and most people that would have wanted it probably already have it), then yeah, of course both G'54 and G KOTM would be included. They're on the same disc, after all. When it comes to streaming though, it's important to separate them and treat them as different movies, but that really goes without saying.
I was mainly confused about the title, as they used Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (the American one) instead of Godzilla (the Japanese one).

Added in 48 seconds:
mikelcho wrote:
Goji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Oh, I'm way ahead of you, my friend. I recently bought a copy of the current release at Barnes & Noble for half-price. You see, they have a Criterion sale every so often (and more than once a year), so what would've normally cost $29.99, I got for $19.99.
If you already have it, then what was all that confusion (on your end) about earlier? :lol:

If there is some kind of boxset, and the original film is included (which may not be wise, since it's nearly 7 years old now, and most people that would have wanted it probably already have it), then yeah, of course both G'54 and G KOTM would be included. They're on the same disc, after all. When it comes to streaming though, it's important to separate them and treat them as different movies, but that really goes without saying.
I was mainly confused about the title, as they used Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (the American one) instead of Godzilla (the Japanese one).
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

I hope this set will include KKVG - the new 4K release and Godzilla vs the Wolf Man, the fan made movie..
This by far is the most exciting and intriguing news..I look forward to more updates and a release date

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

It would be amazing if Criterion was able to acquire KKvsG and the three films Kraken owns so they could do a complete Showa era box set, but I sadly don't see that happening. Universal doesn't give a damn about Godzilla. Kraken could be a possibility.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Godsteigman wrote:I hope this set will include KKVG - the new 4K release and Godzilla vs the Wolf Man, the fan made movie..
This by far is the most exciting and intriguing news..I look forward to more updates and a release date
It won't have either of those

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I wouldn't put my bets on KKvsG; and there's no reason Criterion would include a fan film. I could see them obtaining the Kraken titles, though. Aren't the Classic Media releases still in print? Criterion has released films before when other labels were still distributing them.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

My guess is that G vs. Megalon will be the same as the Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock release: the unedited Japanese version with both English subtitles and the unedited English dubbing. Am I right, I hope?

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

Great news.

Are there any Universal titles currently in the Criterion collection? If so then that could be promising in regards to KKvG. If not then it's probably unlikely we'll be seeing it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Megalon7 wrote:Great news.

Are there any Universal titles currently in the Criterion collection? If so then that could be promising in regards to KKvG. If not then it's probably unlikely we'll be seeing it.
Here's a list of Universal titles issued by Criterion as of October 2014:

https://www.criterion.com/lists/225141-universal
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

eabaker wrote:
Megalon7 wrote:Great news.

Here's a list of Universal titles issued by Criterion as of October 2014:

https://www.criterion.com/lists/225141-universal
Thanks.
Didn't know they were releasing Breakfast Club. Probably going to pick that up, the extra 50 minutes sounds interesting.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

mikelcho wrote:My guess is that G vs. Megalon will be the same as the Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock release: the unedited Japanese version with both English subtitles and the unedited English dubbing. Am I right, I hope?
It could be, but it might not be the exact same masters. Criterion tends to remaster their releases themselves.