Godzilla Fantasia and Godzilla Goes Techno?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Godzilla Fantasia and Godzilla Goes Techno?

Post by mikelcho »

Has anybody ever heard of two possible films called Godzilla Fantasia and Godzilla Goes Techno? I saw them on VHS back in the day at my local comic book store, bought them and gave them to a friend of mine. They had artwork that was copied from the original Simitar release of Godzilla, King of the Monsters!, but that's all I know about them. Were these actual Toho films and if so, when were they released?

UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla Fantasia and Godzilla Goes Techno?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla Fantasia is probably something to do with Akira Ifukube's Symphonic Fantasia, which would be a concert video rather than a full-length film. Think this one is a mistranslation.

Godzilla Goes Techno? That sounds like a crappy fan-made music video compilation.

Either way, neither are true Toho films and the only one that sounds the least bit official is Godzilla Fantasia.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

The Godzilla Fantasia was more or less Akira Ifukube's scores presented over various Godzilla scenes and battles, music video style.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I used to have a bootleg copy of Godzilla Fantasia. It was, as I recall, clips (and some outtakes) from G flicks laid over Symphonic Fantasia recordings. It included the DAM Godzilla vs. Manda outtake.

Unless my memory is severely messing with me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

eabaker wrote:I used to have a bootleg copy of Godzilla Fantasia. It was, as I recall, clips (and some outtakes) from G flicks laid over Symphonic Fantasia recordings. It included the DAM Godzilla vs. Manda outtake.

Unless my memory is severely messing with me.
You are correct, my good man. As I said in my post above yours, they were more or less Godzilla music videos
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks, guys. At least I now know one of them was legit.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Would the techno thing happened to have been called Godzilla Techno Fantasy?

I picked that up from a shop in 98 or so...it was definitely not a real Toho release, just clips and outtakes set to the "Dance Godzilla" album by Atom Troy. It too had the Godzilla vs. Manda outtake.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I've heard of the music of Godzilla Fantasia, it's just I've never seen the video of it. I would like to see it, though.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Question: what is the jidai-geki film with Toshiro Mifune that shows up at the beginning of the second movement of Godzilla Fantasia/Symphonic Fantasia?

Added in 2 minutes 13 seconds:
Also, for the record, there was also:

Legend of Godzilla - which was Godzilla/Toho tokusatsu music in synth mode. There was a video of it (which Americans could get from bootleggers) set to scenes from the different films, a lá Godzilla Fantasia.

Godzilla Fantasy - same as Godzilla Fantasia, but for the Heisei films and not limited to Akira Ifukube.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The movie clip at the beginning of the second movement of Godzilla Fantasia is from something called Adventure in Takla Makan from 1965. I've never see the movie so I have no other info on it.

The Godzilla Legend is indeed similar to Godzilla Fantasia, only with synthesizer scores from a two CD set from the '80s using the same title.

As for Godzilla Fantasy, I've never seen it all the way through, even though i own it. The music is directly from the films, instead of the newly recorded stuff like in Fantasia/Legend. Might as well just watch the Heisei films.

Also, the Manda vs Godzilla footage originated in the Toho SPFX Outtakes tape, and was never used in Fantasia or Legend. The Outtakes film is available in its entirety as a bonus feature on Criterions Showa set.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Godzilla goes Techno sounds awesome
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.