FUNIMATION to release SHIN GODZILLA on US Home Video!!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
HerryGrail
Yojimbo

Re: FUNIMATION to release SHIN GODZILLA on US Home Video!!

Post by HerryGrail »

G1985 wrote: Took a trip to my local Best Buy at lunch, as their inventory systems showed the store having copies in-hand. Got there and found nothing, meaning they didn't bother put this week's current releases out on the shelves yet.
Funny...I checked Best Buy's site this morning and it also showed every location for miles had copies in stock. (Meanwhile, I haven't been to a Target today, but didn't see it on their website at all. Also, my local Barnes & Nobles don't show it in stock.)

Maybe the Sony purchase will improve/increase distribution channels.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Got my copy yesterday and planning on watching tonight. I did a quick check of the film and watched the "Godzilla vs The Nerds" special feature, which was certainly nice but I don't think I'll need to watch it ever again. It's too bad there were no behind the scenes featurettes ported over from the Japanese release, which is a shame because after seeing Higuchi's panel at GFEST where he showed a plethora of unfinished (and AMAZING) tokusatsu shots I just really wanted to see them again.

Otherwise, it's a solid release. I'm so glad that the subtitles are removable!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

tycerium
Samurai

Post by tycerium »

Here's my review of the U.S. Shin Godzilla Blu-ray/DVD

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

It was nice to finally get to see this movie without a billion text titles everywhere, but seriously, do we really need to know that they are in the corridor of the 2nd floor? Why does that even matter? Hell, why not show them in the bathroom and subtitle it, "Executive's Private Bathroom 5th Floor East Quadrant 35 degrees to the West of Tokyo."

Seriously though, the movie was just as good as it was in theaters as I love how disorganized the government is as they have no idea how to handle a monster attack. Not to mention all of the politics involved just to hold a friggin press conference and then again to determine what course of action can be taken. I do love how the situation effects the entire world and not just Japan.
Character wise though, I've come to realize there are only 4 characters that truly matter, and one of them can't even speak English despite being an American born citizen. Thankfully the other three make up for her and it is also cool to see the dude from Gamera the Brave/Kamen Rider Ryuki in this (not one of the important characters though).

The video quality on the BD was quite impressive and I'm not sure if the CGI was touched up a bit or if it was just because I wasn't watching it on the big screen, but it didn't bother me as much this time around. THere are still a few scenes that look really bad (like the dentistry scene and the train bombs), but I wasn't apalled by them as I was initially. Sadly though, the audio was meh. I had to turn my receiver way up just to hear the dialog clearly and the music was quite low. The only time I could tell my subwoofer was working was during the explosion scenes. Despite being ripped right out of Evangelion, the soundtrack is excellent (one of the few things Evangelion does have to its name) and I do love the Ifukube bits.
I'm still unsure where I will place the movie, but it is just as good as the 84 film, if not better. I do think you still could have shaved off a good 20 minutes though. I'm sticking with my 8/10 score.

Oh, that Nerds vs Shin Godzilla feature was terrible. The dude in the red shirt had no idea what he was talking about half of the time. He kept saying Godzilla Jr was in SpaceG when that is Little Godzilla. He said Godzilla changes his beam against King Ghidorah when that was MechaGodzilla. So many mistakes it's like he didn't even watch the films but rather just highlights so he could participate in that segment.

I wish they had done some type of feature on the voice actors or have the people who had to sub the movie talk about their experience subbing it.

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
G1985 wrote:
HerryGrail wrote:Here it is on Walmart's endcap—not exactly front and center, but a great price ($19.96 for the combo), and I was very happy to see it:

https://image.ibb.co/gCUk75/Shin_Wal_Mart.jpg
Took a trip to my local Best Buy at lunch, as their inventory systems showed the store having copies in-hand. Got there and found nothing, meaning they didn't bother put this week's current releases out on the shelves yet.
Well Best Buy uses a third party company to put out their movies and music, so the dude probably didn't show up on time, if at all.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote: The video quality on the BD was quite impressive and I'm not sure if the CGI was touched up a bit
It was:

Sadly though, the audio was meh. I had to turn my receiver way up just to hear the dialog clearly and the music was quite low. The only time I could tell my subwoofer was working was during the explosion scenes.
That's probably due to the weird 3.1 sound mix, which is how it was released to theaters. I guess Anno wanted to have the film sound slightly retro but that's something I don't think has been discussed with the creative team yet so that's just my guess.
Oh, that Nerds vs Shin Godzilla feature was terrible. The dude in the red shirt had no idea what he was talking about half of the time. He kept saying Godzilla Jr was in SpaceG when that is Little Godzilla. He said Godzilla changes his beam against King Ghidorah when that was MechaGodzilla. So many mistakes it's like he didn't even watch the films but rather just highlights so he could participate in that segment.
Yeah he drove me nuts, and I'm pretty sure you can see Matt Frank cringing when he talks about Godzilla JR being in SpaceG.

I appreciate the effort to do SOMETING in lieu of no Toho-approved special features, but it is definitely a segment that felt like it belonged on YouTube instead of a bluray and I will probably never watch it again.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Everything I'm reading about this Blu-Ray just makes me want to hunt down the Australian Madman release. Apparently it has the Japanese special features subtitled.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:It was nice to finally get to see this movie without a billion text titles everywhere, but seriously, do we really need to know that they are in the corridor of the 2nd floor? Why does that even matter? Hell, why not show them in the bathroom and subtitle it, "Executive's Private Bathroom 5th Floor East Quadrant 35 degrees to the West of Tokyo."
My reading was that we don't need that information, and that's exactly the point; the titles represent the kind of obsessive bureaucratic detail that the characters are putting ahead of actually getting anything done. Your "Executive's Private Bathoom" joke is the exact same joke the movie seems to be making.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

goji1986 wrote:I appreciate the effort to do SOMETING in lieu of no Toho-approved special features, but it is definitely a segment that felt like it belonged on YouTube instead of a bluray and I will probably never watch it again.
I'm glad they put it on the disc instead of having it be bare bones though. Thanks for the info on the other stuff.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:It was nice to finally get to see this movie without a billion text titles everywhere, but seriously, do we really need to know that they are in the corridor of the 2nd floor? Why does that even matter? Hell, why not show them in the bathroom and subtitle it, "Executive's Private Bathroom 5th Floor East Quadrant 35 degrees to the West of Tokyo."
My reading was that we don't need that information, and that's exactly the point; the titles represent the kind of obsessive bureaucratic detail that the characters are putting ahead of actually getting anything done. Your "Executive's Private Bathoom" joke is the exact same joke the movie seems to be making.
I'd say that's a pretty accurate interpretation; I'm working on a version of the movie with the on-screen text in English (using my own translations from http://shin-godzilla-captions.tumblr.com/ ), and it becomes obvious once you see how briefly some of the longer titles are on screen that you're not really supposed to be reading all of them - only a few of them have any really crucial information. I'd say it's more of an aesthetic flourish meant to evoke bureaucratic obsession over small details and the overall clinical, pristine, digital look of the movie.

In general, I'd say that a lot of people seem to have missed the point of a lot of this movie's peculiarities. Every other review from US critics called it too talky and criticized the abundance of conference scenes, despite the fact that those scenes are full of excellent cinematography, sharp editing, and some really great humor to boot. I think a lot of people went into this movie expecting a typical Godzilla movie, something we were never going to get with Anno directing, and then took the fact that it didn't live up to those expectations as objective shortcomings and sort of tuned out as soon as they saw a conference room.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

HerryGrail wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:Shin Godzilla currently pre-selling for $24.95 US at Amazon, the BR/DVD/Digital Download version. Yah, I think it will be $20 on Wal-Mart's shelves, come August 1st...
...and you were right. I wish I'd have waited. Paid Amazon the $24.95 and got a roughed-up picture sleeve.

Here it is on Walmart's endcap—not exactly front and center, but a great price ($19.96 for the combo), and I was very happy to see it:

Was there ever any doubt? Wally-World is nothing if not predictable. $17.96 for just the DVD, for those of you who want to go cheap...

Got mine, of course. Was in Michigan at the time, and at a Meijer with my fiancée and a couple of her friends. John said, 'there's the DVD for $19.99, gonna get it?' 'No', I replied. 'it's gonna be that for the DVD/BR combo at Wal-Mart'. :D

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I think a lot of people went into this movie expecting a typical Godzilla movie, something we were never going to get with Anno directing, and then took the fact that it didn't live up to those expectations as objective shortcomings and sort of tuned out as soon as they saw a conference room.
But can you really blame them? I can't. Anno is not for everyone. Hell, I hate Anno as I think Evangelion is one of the most over hyped anime franchises of all time. It has some cool things in it, but the cool stuff is buried by pretentious whiny unlikable characters that are all out for their own selfish needs. I also hate the stupid black screens with text on it that tries to pretend it was cool to say, "We cut this scene down."

Thankfully, I was warned of this in advanced, so I walked in expecting it, which is probably one of the reasons why I ended up enjoying the movie.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I'd say that's a pretty accurate interpretation; I'm working on a version of the movie with the on-screen text in English (using my own translations from http://shin-godzilla-captions.tumblr.com/ ), and it becomes obvious once you see how briefly some of the longer titles are on screen that you're not really supposed to be reading all of them - only a few of them have any really crucial information. I'd say it's more of an aesthetic flourish meant to evoke bureaucratic obsession over small details and the overall clinical, pristine, digital look of the movie.

In general, I'd say that a lot of people seem to have missed the point of a lot of this movie's peculiarities. Every other review from US critics called it too talky and criticized the abundance of conference scenes, despite the fact that those scenes are full of excellent cinematography, sharp editing, and some really great humor to boot. I think a lot of people went into this movie expecting a typical Godzilla movie, something we were never going to get with Anno directing, and then took the fact that it didn't live up to those expectations as objective shortcomings and sort of tuned out as soon as they saw a conference room.
If you walked into Shin Godzilla expecting a clash of titans, then you were likely to be seriously let down by the conference rooms, talking heads and bureaucratic nuances. Godzilla 2014 is a more enjoyable movie in the monster fighting department, if in nothing else. However, if you appreciate pointed political satire (Yes, Minister/Prime Minister, The Thick of It), homages to the earlier film eras (70's era Widescreen logo, Ifukube music, lots of captions like ROG), inspiration from true events (Fukushima nuclear disaster, Hurricane Katrina) and bizarre ideas (Kayoko Ann Patterson), then this movie will be far more satisfactory than Gareth Edwards' vision. Once you put Godzilla into that film, then every mainstream critic expects a campy monster movie.

I found my Blu/DVD copy for $19.99 at Wally-world as well, thanks to the good people here. Saved myself $5 that I would have had to pay Amazon and got instant gratification. And who says brick-and-motar is dead?
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Checked a couple Targets. Nothing. Going to Walmart later today, wish me luck
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I still think it's very interesting that WB wasn't interested in having Shin Godzilla given the obvious. FUNimation does great home media though!
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ryguy wrote:Checked a couple Targets. Nothing. Going to Walmart later today, wish me luck
Good luck! Hope you find it.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Great Hierophant wrote:I found my Blu/DVD copy for $19.99 at Wally-world as well, thanks to the good people here. Saved myself $5 that I would have had to pay Amazon and got instant gratification. And who says brick-and-motar is dead?
I'm pretty pissed at Amazon for not matching Walmart's price, especially when I'm a Prime member. At least I sold off my digital copy for $10 though, so I only paid $15 for it.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Ryguy wrote:Checked a couple Targets. Nothing. Going to Walmart later today, wish me luck
Got mine at Best Buy. You can always try there if nothing else.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I'm pretty pissed at Amazon for not matching Walmart's price, especially when I'm a Prime member. At least I sold off my digital copy for $10 though, so I only paid $15 for it.
The Blu-ray/DVD combo is listed at $19.99 on Amazon now; you should be able to contact them and have them refund you the difference for what you paid, since they changed the price less than 2 weeks after you got the movie.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

heiseigodzilla425 wrote:The Blu-ray/DVD combo is listed at $19.99 on Amazon now; you should be able to contact them and have them refund you the difference for what you paid, since they changed the price less than 2 weeks after you got the movie.
I already did. This is what they sent me:
Hello,

We work hard to find the best prices out there and make sure our prices are as low or lower – changing our prices instantly if we find a lower offer somewhere else. Therefore, we don’t offer post-purchase adjustments.

To read more about our pricing, please visit our Help pages:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201895700

We hope to see you again soon.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
heiseigodzilla425 wrote:The Blu-ray/DVD combo is listed at $19.99 on Amazon now; you should be able to contact them and have them refund you the difference for what you paid, since they changed the price less than 2 weeks after you got the movie.
I already did. This is what they sent me:
Hello,

We work hard to find the best prices out there and make sure our prices are as low or lower – changing our prices instantly if we find a lower offer somewhere else. Therefore, we don’t offer post-purchase adjustments.

To read more about our pricing, please visit our Help pages:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201895700

We hope to see you again soon.
Well that sucks, they've done post-purchase adjustments for me in the past. You might have more luck if you call them, but I know that can be a pain. If you bought it with a credit card, it may offer "price protection", which will allow you to price match items with any retailer a up to few weeks after your purchase. I know that some Chase, Citi, and Discover cards offer this.