FUNIMATION to release SHIN GODZILLA on US Home Video!!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Lord Krit
Samurai

Re: FUNIMATION to release SHIN GODZILLA on US Home Video!!

Post by Lord Krit »

Quite shameful for Funimation to give Your Name a limited edition treatment but not Shin Godzilla.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Your-Name ... #Packaging
Last edited by Lord Krit on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Your Name was a far bigger hit across the board - in Japan, worldwide, and in the US. Shin Godzilla made $75.4 million in Japan and $1.9 million in the US, with the rest of the world only bringing in about $600,000 (Box Office Mojo hasn't got numbers for the UK yet, but I doubt they'll be huge). Your Name made over $235 million in Japan, $5 million in the US, and about $115 million elsewhere. That's over 3 times as much domestically, over 2.5 times as much in the US, and over 191 times as much in the rest of the world. It's disappointing that Shin Godzilla didn't get a more lavish treatment, but to call it shameful strikes me as hyperbolic, especially considering how understandable it is from a business standpoint that Funimation would give more of a deluxe treatment to a far more successful film that's far more in line with their usual target demographic.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Why would they need to use their own transfer for Shin when it is a new movie? There was no point.

I'm talking about older ones.
I literally just told you dude. Because Toho's has a weird filter, just like all of their transfers. But it didn't happen, so whatever.

The Hong Kong Blu-Ray is the only one that has it's own transfer devoid of this problem.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Goji wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Why would they need to use their own transfer for Shin when it is a new movie? There was no point.

I'm talking about older ones.
I literally just told you dude. Because Toho's has a weird filter, just like all of their transfers. But it didn't happen, so whatever.

The Hong Kong Blu-Ray is the only one that has it's own transfer devoid of this problem.
No you didn't. And what tint? The movie looks the same it did in theaters.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote: No you didn't.
Sure did.
Goji wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote: Yes. For one thing, Funimation doesn't do dubtitles. If they are given translations from the licensor, they always check the translations and grammar to make sure they are accurate and if not, they will have their own translators work on the product. Secondly, they also would probably try to remaster the movies themselves if they can't get the best quality available.
That's good news regarding subtitles, but they didn't make their own transfer for Shin, they used Toho's (which has a weird tint to it, because of course it does), so..there are no guarantee's they'd make their own transfers if they got a hold of any other Godzilla films.
Kaiju no Kami wrote: And what tint? The movie looks the same it did in theaters.
No, it doesn't.

Hong Kong Blu-Ray

Toho Blu-Ray
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I'm sorry, I don't see what the problem is. If the second pic is from Toho's BD, then that is the way the movie is supposed to look.

Anyway, check out the Printer's Proof I won at NDK's charity auction today. OH YEAH!!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Except that it's not. It has the same shitty "cheese filter" that they add to all of their home video releases.

But you know what man, your reputation precedes you. Trying to convince you that your wrong about something has always been in exercise in patience for everyone involved. Marcos Kain can't possibly be wrong about anything. Oh no, that's not possible. He knows best, and knows all.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I mean, if you ask me, the HK Blu-ray does look different, but it doesn't look any more natural. If anything, it looks like it's got some kind of a magenta/purple tint to it. (What is interesting, though, is that they seem to have re-done the titles in roughly the same style but in Chinese, making it a unique version of the film.)

I'm personally inclined to believe that Toho might have been up to some of their usual tricks with Shin, but at least some of the appearance is an intentional artistic choice. I was given some rather complex settings by SHM to correct the colors, and while it made certain scenes look really natural, other scenes took on an odd purple appearance (like the HK screenshot, but less pronounced), especially in skin tones. This says to me that the altered colors weren't just one blanket effect applied consistently to the whole film in the mastering stage to compensate for Japanese display standards, but were at least partially intentional aesthetic choices in the color grading stage that were applied on a scene-by-scene basis. (And in the first place, it looks more yellow or beige to me than Toho's usual greenish transfers.)
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

To be honest, when was the last time any film looked natural? Using a filter to make a movie look darker is the standard these days. Sure, it would be nice if movies stopped using it (especially WB), but it seems like people love it, so they keep doing it.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I mean, if you ask me, the HK Blu-ray does look different, but it doesn't look any more natural. If anything, it looks like it's got some kind of a magenta/purple tint to it. (What is interesting, though, is that they seem to have re-done the titles in roughly the same style but in Chinese, making it a unique version of the film.)
Are those Hong Kong subtitles truly Mandarin or Cantonese Chinese? The characters are identical except for the last two.

Also, does the Hong Kong Blu have the "1.0"/theatrical release version of the effects shots?
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Great Hierophant wrote:Also, does the Hong Kong Blu have the "1.0"/theatrical release version of the effects shots?
It is (thus far) the only home video release that has the untouched theatrical version (apart from the name/location texts being in Chinese).
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Great Hierophant wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:I mean, if you ask me, the HK Blu-ray does look different, but it doesn't look any more natural. If anything, it looks like it's got some kind of a magenta/purple tint to it. (What is interesting, though, is that they seem to have re-done the titles in roughly the same style but in Chinese, making it a unique version of the film.)
Are those Hong Kong subtitles truly Mandarin or Cantonese Chinese? The characters are identical except for the last two.

Also, does the Hong Kong Blu have the "1.0"/theatrical release version of the effects shots?
My guess is Cantonese, but I couldn't say for sure. In any case, those last two characters are forms that as far as I know don't appear in modern Japanese and are only used in Chinese.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

G-Matt wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:Also, does the Hong Kong Blu have the "1.0"/theatrical release version of the effects shots?
It is (thus far) the only home video release that has the untouched theatrical version (apart from the name/location texts being in Chinese).
So it has the video game quality CGI? :freak:

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:So it has the video game quality CGI? :freak:
I wouldn't say it's THAT big of a difference.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Deleted: Meant for PM.

Anyway, shocked they didn't fix the bad CGI transformation.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

MM Raids Again wrote:Deleted: Meant for PM.

Anyway, shocked they didn't fix the bad CGI transformation.
I can forgive that scene a lot better than I can this scene - https://youtu.be/MgDR_8pkLN8 (fast forward to 19 seconds in)

Personally, the worst CG in the movie.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Shin Godzilla is currently on sale at Funimation.com for $15 before shipping.

https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-vi ... bld-00531/

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Wish there'd be a 4K version as in Japan.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

deadman31
Yojimbo

Post by deadman31 »

I got the Blu/Digital combo for Christmas but I can’t get digital code to work on Vudu or Movies Anywhere. Any advice?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It’s probably expired. Sorry, man. At least you have the Blu-Ray.