Shout Factory Gamera vs Mill Creek DVDs (or blu rays) -- really worth upgrading?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Shout Factory Gamera vs Mill Creek DVDs (or blu rays) -- really worth upgrading?

Post by mikelcho »

One question: are the Mill Creek DVDs and Blu-rays still in print? By this, I mean not only the Showa films, but the Heisei ones as well. UPDATE: I just found out on another post that Mill Creek doesn't have the distribution rights anymore, so I guess that they might be out of print. Still, if anyone can confirm this, that would be great! I say this because I'd like to update the Wikipedia article if I can.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon May 07, 2018 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Re: Shout Factory Gamera vs Mill Creek DVDs (or blu rays) -- really worth upgrading?

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote:One question: are the Mill Creek DVDs and Blu-rays still in print? By this, I mean not only the Showa films, but the Heisei ones as well. UPDATE: I just found out on another post that Mill Creek doesn't have the distribution rights anymore, so I guess that they might be out of print. Still, if anyone can confirm this, that would be great! I say this because I'd like to update the Wikipedia article if I can.
Late response, but yeah they pretty much are OOP. Anything available from retailers now is most likely old stock.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Are we also talking about the Mill Creek Gamera Vol. 1-2 collection, cause every Walmart I’ve been to has been eat up with them.

Picked up Vol. 1 just a day ago, quite a lot of sub errors, strange.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue May 22, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Are we also talking about the Mill Creek Gamera Vol. 1-2 collection, cause every Walmart I’ve been to has been eat up with them.

Picked up Vol. 1 just a day ago, quite a lot of sub errors, strange.
I think so? I'm not sure Amazon sells them anymore (excluding third-party sellers of course).

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Considering how cheap the Blu-rays are, I'd go with those.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Like I said, I had no clue they were OOP, they're everywhere at Wal-Mart, but thanks for the info, I'll pick up vol. 2 before it skyrockets from $7.00 :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I just ordered my Mill Creek copies. About fifty bucks in total for all three sets on Amazon.ca, free shipping.

Added in 13 days 23 hours 35 minutes 59 seconds:
I just got my disks in the mail. Very nice set. They condensed the Gamera trilogy into one Blu-ray case but kept it a two disk set.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've still got the three Mill Creek Blu-rays and I might as well face it - that's all I'm going to have.

I can't afford Gamera: The Complete Collection, it's already selling out and will soon be off the market for good, no one's bought it for me for my birthday and I know no one's going to buy it for me for Christmas, because not only can any of us in my family also not afford it, but for some stupid reason, my parents won't even let me ask anyone for birthday or Christmas presents anymore and I don't know why!

This just isn't fair! That Blu-ray set should be affordable for everyone! Why can't Arrow Video reduce the price to something more reasonable - like over $20.00? That I can do!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well I'm hearing there might be a more standard edition down the road so don't give up hope yet!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

This almost has to be satire, right?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:This almost has to be satire, right?
No, I'm dead serious.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

mikelcho wrote: This just isn't fair! That Blu-ray set should be affordable for everyone! Why can't Arrow Video reduce the price to something more reasonable - like over $20.00? That I can do!

The books alone are worth $50 at least. The content on the discs is insane. You don’t get that for just over $20.

It’s unfortunate that you can’t get someone to buy it for you or buy it yourself, and it’s ok to lament that the price tag is out of your reach, but you’re crazy to think that Arrow should reduce the price that low just because you can’t afford it. That would be an insult to all the hard work and love that went into this.

There will be a more standard release soon, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it sells for $60 if it simply keeps all the disc content.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I know, and I'm sorry; I was just in a mood and felt like venting.

It's just so frustrating; I've got a ton of kaiju films and TV series begging to be updated, replaced or bought and no way to do any of them!

And I'm not even considering the standard disc content-only version of Gamera: The Complete Collection, it's the first version all the way or not at all. That much is certain. I've been waiting years for the Dark Horse Gamera miniseries to be published in book form and I don't intend to lose it now.

Btw, does anyone know if the translation cypher of the alien woman's speech that was included in said miniseries is included in the new book?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Hissy fit aside, I can't speak for your financial situation Mikelcho, but you do seem to be capable of purchasing relatively low-priced DVDs semi-often, like Sinister Cinema's bootlegs. Why not just stop buying those frequently and save up for this set? I understand your worries of it going OOP, but since there apparently will be a re-release, by the time it comes out, you should have saved up enough to get it, especially if it retails for a little cheaper (But don't expect it to be in the $20 range). Finance 101.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Oh God it sold out.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing