Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think those statements are standard practice whenever there are interviews or commentaries included on a DVD/Blu-ray, though there obviously aren't any on this release.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Got my copy in the mail yesterday. I'll watch it on Friday when I have time to actually do something other than school or rehearsal.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Someone here was RIGHT - Best Buy didn't have SQUAT. After a blue shirt told me the same thing about the UPC codes, I told him that some of their employees need to be EDUCATED on that. Nothing at Wal-Mart or Target either... :mad:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

MandaSaurus wrote:Someone here was RIGHT - Best Buy didn't have SQUAT. After a blue shirt told me the same thing about the UPC codes, I told him that some of their employees need to be EDUCATED on that. Nothing at Wal-Mart or Target either... :mad:
Just use amazon. It's cheaper anyway

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Amazon actually delivered my copy on Monday. After watching it, I honestly can't decide if I like the Japanese version better or the US cut. I feel that the US cut removes some really good parts, but it also fixes some serious pacing issues and delivers a much better ending.

I will say, however, that the International Dub is hilariously terrible. While there's many reasons why it sucks, I can't help but focus on how I have never before heard so many instances of "Godziller" in a single dub.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:I feel that the US cut removes some really good parts, but it also fixes some serious pacing issues and delivers a much better ending.

I will say, however, that the International Dub is hilariously terrible. While there's many reasons why it sucks, I can't help but focus on how I have never before heard so many instances of "Godziller" in a single dub.
I agree with pretty much all of these things. What's amazing to me is how much worse this dub is, for no apparent reason, than the others before and after it.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I actually feel like the U.S. edit damages the pacing. It takes a very slow, deliberate movie and renders it choppy and uneven.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

There's a balance to be found. There's a horrible moment in the original cut where Godzilla just stops, motionless for a long time until Super X shows up, I love this movie but I cringe at that moment.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

The scene where they test the frequency generator at the lab and then Godzilla is distracted by the maser tanks is infinitely better in the US cut.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Well, Suncoast did indeed have it on Day One, but I had to make do with the DVD version, as both Blu Rays they had of it were on hold. Decided to order the Blu Ray through Amazon that evening, and it should arrive in time for it's spot in the 30-night Godzillathon I'm doing right behind the Shin Godzilla premier.
Monsters are the real people.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

omgitsgodzilla wrote:The scene where they test the frequency generator at the lab and then Godzilla is distracted by the maser tanks is infinitely better in the US cut.
100% agreed. In the Japanese cut, Godzilla just turns and stands there staring at them until the laser tank shoots at him and misses, but in the US cut he starts to charge at the building until the laser firing at him stops him. Not only is it more dynamic, but it makes more sense from a story standpoint.

Also, while I like the extended train sequence, it definitely seems silly that the train operator hits the brakes to leave them stationary in front of Godzilla so he can just pick them up at his leisure instead of the US cut implying that Godzilla grabbed the train as it was in motion.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm not saying there aren't individual small moments where the US cut makes some reasonable changes; I'm saying that the flow of a movie as a whole is (to my tastes) really poor in the US cut.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

eabaker wrote:I'm not saying there aren't individual small moments where the US cut makes some reasonable changes; I'm saying that the flow of a movie as a whole is (to my tastes) really poor in the US cut.
I would partially agree and partially disagree. Some scenes flow way better in the Japanese cut, some better in the US--and the US cut's decision to make Tokyo appear almost totally empty shortly after Godzilla's first landfall kind of lowers the stakes more than it should.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Again, what I'm talking about is the cumulative effect, not the individual scenes.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

MandaSaurus wrote:Someone here was RIGHT - Best Buy didn't have SQUAT. After a blue shirt told me the same thing about the UPC codes, I told him that some of their employees need to be EDUCATED on that. Nothing at Wal-Mart or Target either... :mad:
Best Buy got their revenge on me this past Tuesday, over my trying to purchase the steelbook version of Captain America: Civil War on the first day of release. Just don't even ask.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Goji wrote:You're definitely right. Musicland group, who owns both Sam Goody and Suncoast, turned a lot of those remaining stores into F.Y.Es, though there are still some of both sprinkled throughout the U.S.

I wondered! So neither brand is dead? Used to love Sam Goody when it was still in my area. Did some shopping at Suncoast too I remember in the late 90s but the memory that sticks out was buying Varan the Unbelievable on VHS from them, then returning it when 12 year old me found it too boring.

Time has remedied this incident and I have Varan on VHS now :lol:

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I used to visit a Movie Stop out of state every summer but all stores closed this last summer. All I have left is FYE I guess.
I love perusing video stores and shops like that and it bums me to see them phasing out.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Amazon's shipped my copy! *dances* :mrgreen:
eabaker wrote:I actually feel like the U.S. edit damages the pacing. It takes a very slow, deliberate movie and renders it choppy and uneven.
As I've said elsewhere, I disagree and feel pretty much polar opposite. But, I admit I've only really seen Return of Godzilla once or twice so I plan to give RoG another watch when I get the BD to see if I still feel the same. It's going to be VERY nice finally having an official U.S. BD in my collection (and to FINALLY have a chance to check out the International dub, which I've heard only a few snippets of here and there over the years).

I'm still disappointed by the lack of G'85 and pretty sad having realized that G'85 will likely never officially see the light of day again, but the Red Menace restoration has salved that over very well and satisfied me. :)
TheSecondComing wrote:I wondered! So neither brand is dead? Used to love Sam Goody when it was still in my area. Did some shopping at Suncoast too I remember in the late 90s but the memory that sticks out was buying Varan the Unbelievable on VHS from them, then returning it when 12 year old me found it too boring.

Time has remedied this incident and I have Varan on VHS now :lol:
Yep, there's still a few sprinkled about! We have one or two Suncoasts in South Jersey and I hear rumors that there's still one Sam Goody left here somewhere.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Godzillian wrote:
Just use amazon. It's cheaper anyway
I did. $8.97, shipped. And it's on the way... :)

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
RandomDeinonychus wrote:I feel that the US cut removes some really good parts, but it also fixes some serious pacing issues and delivers a much better ending.

I agree with pretty much all of these things. What's amazing to me is how much worse this dub is, for no apparent reason, than the others before and after it.
This dub is like watching a Hong Kong kung fu movie if it were done by a high school drama club that had barely any grasp of proper English annunciation. It doesn't have the charm that I can imagine the gag redneck dub of one of the Gamera movies has, either. I just seen it, and it's hilarious.