Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Bumping for a special PSA (credit to Starestream on Tumblr) and because I can't find a Kraken DVD thread.

Sentaifilmworks.com is having a early Black Friday deal on DVDs. All the Kraken Godzilla films (Vs The Sea Monster, Vs Hedorah, Vs Gigan and 1984) are 3.99 a DVD, 4.99 for the Blu-Rays.

Move quickly, my friends.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Smog Monster and G84 are on backorder, likely from the sale. 12/10/2018 and 11/30/2018 are the in-stock dates respectively.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Goji wrote:
Barkley wrote: Am I the only one who doesnt care if G85 becomes a lost film?
Yeah, ya kinda are, "Charles".

-Goji
Wow, I totally forgot about my alter-ego Barkley. I was about to troll the shit out of the whole forum with him, but life got in the way lol
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

@Barkley: Yes, you are. New World's Godzilla 1985 was a travesty. Until I got my copy of Kraken's Japanese cut of G84, I had no idea what I was missing! Banish that terrible film to the nether realm with the Lord of Darkness, so HE can watch it eternally...

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

If you don't like it, then don't fucking watch it. Wanting a movie/cut to become "lost" just because you don't like is idiotic and selfish, especially in the age where multiple versions are available.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Watched RoG yesterday for the first time thought it was great. The ending feels naked with Raymond Burr's speech.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Buddy I don't like the export dubs but that doesn't mean they should be utterly lost to history.

RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Buddy I don't like the export dubs but that doesn't mean they should be utterly lost to history.]
You and me both buddy, you and me both

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

MandaSaurus wrote:@Barkley: Yes, you are. New World's Godzilla 1985 was a travesty. Until I got my copy of Kraken's Japanese cut of G84, I had no idea what I was missing! Banish that terrible film to the nether realm with the Lord of Darkness, so HE can watch it eternally...
Don't you mean "No, you aren't" since he said "am I the only one that doesn't care if G '85 becomes a lost film"?

It doesn't even remotely resemble anything close to being a "travesty". Other than Travis Swords and the shoehorned Dr. Pepper advertisements, it's fine. The improved pacing, additional Def-Con 4 cues, and Raymond Burr reprising his role as Steven Martin are pretty much universally praised, so, your position isn't exactly a popular opinion.
Last edited by Goji on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

So...

I has question...

What's the Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1984 DVD like?

I currently have a Chinese DVD release in my collection
& was wondering if its worth upgrading to the Kraken
release.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Grievous wrote:So...

I has question...

What's the Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1984 DVD like?

I currently have a Chinese DVD release in my collection
& was wondering if its worth upgrading to the Kraken
release.
Yes, the Kraken DVD and Blu-Ray are an obvious upgrade to the region 3 release from Universe Laser. Here's the main site's review for the Blu-Ray version; the DVD is lower resolution than the Blu-Ray of course.

Frankly it's the best legit option for North Americans. The film transfer isn't all that great but I'll concede there is no better version. (Toho's Blu-Ray uses the same transfer.) The audio is exceptionally disappointing: the two audio options are 5.1 Japanese and 5.1 English. It was originally released with a 2.0 stereo track in Japan, so you don't even get the original audio mix (!), and the English version was originally mixed at mono (1.0). So in short, both audio tracks are remixes from the original audio stems. One thing worth noting too is that the English dubbed version here had never been released in the United States before. It's Toho's export version recorded in Hong Kong. It corresponds to the Japanese version, unlike the American version (Godzilla 1985), which was re-edited, augmented with new footage of Raymond Burr, and had an American-produced dub.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Terasawa wrote:Yes, the Kraken DVD and Blu-Ray are an obvious upgrade to the region 3 release from Universe Laser. Here's the main site's review for the Blu-Ray version; the DVD is lower resolution than the Blu-Ray of course.

Frankly it's the best legit option for North Americans. The film transfer isn't all that great but I'll concede there is no better version. (Toho's Blu-Ray uses the same transfer.) The audio is exceptionally disappointing: the two audio options are 5.1 Japanese and 5.1 English. It was originally released with a 2.0 stereo track in Japan, so you don't even get the original audio mix (!), and the English version was originally mixed at mono (1.0). So in short, both audio tracks are remixes from the original audio stems. One thing worth noting too is that the English dubbed version here had never been released in the United States before. It's Toho's export version recorded in Hong Kong. It corresponds to the Japanese version, unlike the American version (Godzilla 1985), which was re-edited, augmented with new footage of Raymond Burr, and had an American-produced dub.
Nice...

Thanks for the info.

I would get the Blu-ray...but because of different regions it would be pointless for
me.

You see I can watch ANY region DVD on my Australian Blu-ray player...but only
Australian Blu-rays.

Its a shame there isn't a DVD/Blu-ray set of both The Return of Godzilla & Godzilla 1985
as Godzilla 1985 was the first version of any Godzilla film I ever watched.

I do have a version of Godzilla 1985...but its a digital copy only.

Also Madman Entertainment have the distribution rights for the Godzilla series in
Australia...but haven't moved to release any of the older films on Blu-ray.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I really do hope we get a new remastered version

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

When I got the Kraken Blu-ray of this film and watched it, I loved it!

Now, I've seen the Japanese versions of the first two Godzilla films that I saw in a theater: The Return of Godzilla (1984) and Godzilla 2000: Millennium (1999). And I must say: they were GREAT!