Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Re: Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

Post by schvanzbass »

Mediaplay used to be the promised land for movies in my area. And by that I had to go to Atlanta. I remember passing up Orochi, The Eight-Headed Dragon like a dumb ass.
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

schvanzbass wrote:Orochi, The Eight-Headed Dragon
Sorry to go off topic, but GOOD LORD that title annoys me. They might as well have called it "Hydra the Hydra."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

schvanzbass wrote:Mediaplay used to be the promised land for movies in my area.
Y E S

MediaPlay is where I bought my very first Godzilla film. Loved that store.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I preordered my Blu-ray copy through Amazon Prime with its free two-day shipping, and it is estimated that the disc will arrive at my door on the release date. It is good that Amazon has no issues about shipping early so long as it is not likely to get to your house before the release date. It cost me $9.99 + $0.62 in tax. RightStufAnime.com would charge $11.24 plus $3.98 for shipping. And that is for economy shipping, which is up to 14 days! No thanks, I'll save money and still get it faster.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Rightstuf wouldvery been well worth it if you bought it before as its out next week and you should get it the 13th or 12th since it's amazon prime. But rightstuf always does periodic sales on section 23 items which is the parent label of kraken and you can get them for cheaper or the same price as amazon. And honestly I always choose economy. It says may say 14 days but I've never had to wait that long after they shipped items and I'm on the west coast.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Jatahaxe wrote:This will pretty much for sure be in F.y.e. on Day 1 though, right? Cause that's where I'm going to look first. It's more satisfying for me to go out and find something I like available on the market for anybody and everybody to buy instead of it showing up on my doorstep in an envelope.
I already bought my copy from them on August 28, in store, so I'd say yeah. Blu-ray was $15, DVD was $10. Only one Blu and two DVDs.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Goji wrote:
Jatahaxe wrote:This will pretty much for sure be in F.y.e. on Day 1 though, right? Cause that's where I'm going to look first. It's more satisfying for me to go out and find something I like available on the market for anybody and everybody to buy instead of it showing up on my doorstep in an envelope.
Being a product of the '80s, I used to be just like this, but then I realized that post 2006, stores very rarely had what I was looking for when it came to movies. With Suncoast gone, the odds were always against me. Amazon will have to do. If I'm getting it in the mail day 1 and it saves me some gas, then I really have nothing to complain about.
Oh for sure, much of the niche stuff I'm into has to be bought online, but I happen to live near what I guess is one of the country's remaining Suncoasts, and that's more or less what I meant by f.y.e. as the two stores seem to be affiliated in one way or another. I found myself in it just a couple days ago, but the movie wasn't there.
Monsters are the real people.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

You're definitely right. Musicland group, who owns both Sam Goody and Suncoast, turned a lot of those remaining stores into F.Y.Es, though there are still some of both sprinkled throughout the U.S.

Added in 4 minutes 38 seconds:
Great Hierophant wrote:I preordered my Blu-ray copy through Amazon Prime with its free two-day shipping, and it is estimated that the disc will arrive at my door on the release date. It is good that Amazon has no issues about shipping early so long as it is not likely to get to your house before the release date. It cost me $9.99 + $0.62 in tax. RightStufAnime.com would charge $11.24 plus $3.98 for shipping. And that is for economy shipping, which is up to 14 days! No thanks, I'll save money and still get it faster.
I've never heard of anyone who ordered from them having to wait this long. All of the Godzilla stuff I've ever ordered from them came within a couple of days.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

RightStuf may want to post an average as well as a maximum shipping time, it may help sales. 14 days sounds like it's coming on the slow boat from China.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Great Hierophant wrote:RightStuf may want to post an average as well as a maximum shipping time, it may help sales. 14 days sounds like it's coming on the slow boat from China.
Rightstuf ships Blu rays to me Thursday or Friday with economy shipping and I always have them the following Wednesday or Thursday.

Added in 48 seconds:
Goji wrote:
Added in 4 minutes 38 seconds:
Great Hierophant wrote:I preordered my Blu-ray copy through Amazon Prime with its free two-day shipping, and it is estimated that the disc will arrive at my door on the release date. It is good that Amazon has no issues about shipping early so long as it is not likely to get to your house before the release date. It cost me $9.99 + $0.62 in tax. RightStufAnime.com would charge $11.24 plus $3.98 for shipping. And that is for economy shipping, which is up to 14 days! No thanks, I'll save money and still get it faster.
I've never heard of anyone who ordered from them having to wait this long. All of the Godzilla stuff I've ever ordered from them came within a couple of days.
Agreed I think 5 business days was my longest wait from them.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Emperor5353
Monsterland Worker

Post by Emperor5353 »

Amazon shipped and I'll be getting this blu ray today!!!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I've just got my Amazon shipping notification as well; it's supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I might not actually get it until the day after depending on what time it arrives and when the university mail center processes it
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Best Buy delivered my copy this afternoon!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

I'm getting mine tomorrow, good timing.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

For folks like me that prefer to buy their movies in person at a store, it does not appear that Best Buy will carry Godzilla 1985 at brick and mortar locations. At least this is true of New York City, where the tweeter in question is based.

Source: Gormaru Island

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

eabaker wrote:
schvanzbass wrote:Orochi, The Eight-Headed Dragon
Sorry to go off topic, but GOOD LORD that title annoys me. They might as well have called it "Hydra the Hydra."
I think it can be seen as a nod to Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. Plus a lot of English speakers probably don't know what a Yamato Takeru is. But the promise of an Eight-Headed Dragon stirs interest.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Amazon seems to have shipped my copy, alongside my pre-ordered South Park: The Complete Nineteenth Season, which had to wait so they could both come together.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Jhiaxus
Yojimbo

Post by Jhiaxus »

Living in Canada means I'll have to wait until the 11th of October to pick this up, but I'll be able to just head on down to HMV and buy it off the shelf!

As to the quality; as long as it is decent enough to watch I'm not overtly concerned. I'm just glad I can finally see this version and add it to the collection so I can watch it whenever I like!

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I got mine delivered from Amazon today. I am so glad that I can finally add this to my collection. :)

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

I got mine and watched it tonight. I believe the subtitle over subtitle issue is not as bad as early reports make it out to be. While I might have chosen a colored English font to go over the white burnt-in Japanese titles, none of the overlaid titles were unreadable. It only took my eyes an additional second to adjust at times.

I can understand the reasoning behind overlaying the titles. If you place the titles elsewhere, you obscure visual information in the frame that was not meant to be obscured. Also, many of the titles are on the bottom of the screen. If you place the English titles under the Japanese ones, you risk cutting off some portion of the text from the overscan masking that many LCD TVs use. The TV I watched the film on shows all pixels, even those in the overscan/not safe for TV area.

The Blu-ray menu has the worst choice for a music track from the movie, the Star Sisters song from the end credits. Wholly out of character with the otherwise serious music throughout the film.

I found on a Playstation 3 that not only were the subtitles forced on the English language track, you cannot change audio tracks while playing the film.

The video does get a little too digital during the night time sequences, but it is no worse than any other Heisei or Millenium film I have watched on Blu-ray.

Oddly enough, the warning screens include a disclaimer stating that Kraken Releasing is not responsible for the opinions expressed in the commentary track. This release has no commentary track. Even if it did, it would not help them if a commentator uttered a defamatory statement during the commentary, they published the statement.