Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:08 pm

I can't speak for the Millenium films but my bootleg rip of the GVMG74 Blu-Ray does feature the Okinawa stuff and the Mechagodzilla encyclopedia. Not sure on the "MG Theory", don't really know what that is.

G-Matt
EDF Soldier

Postby G-Matt » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:39 pm

John Pannozzi wrote:I'm also aware that soundtrack CDs were included in some of the Millennium era films' DVD sets, and those unsurprisingly aren't carried over to the Blu-rays.

Megaguirus was the only Millennium movie which had the soundtrack included in the initial DVD box, which has been hard to come by for years.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

John Pannozzi
Yojimbo

Postby John Pannozzi » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:45 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:I can't speak for the Millenium films but my bootleg rip of the GVMG74 Blu-Ray does feature the Okinawa stuff and the Mechagodzilla encyclopedia. Not sure on the "MG Theory", don't really know what that is.

I think it's what described on the DVD Compare entry for the Japanese GvMG74 DVD as a "Study on Mechagodzilla's design by Shin'ichirou Kobayashi"/
Friends don't lie.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 pm

So, what does Manufacture on Demand mean? I looked it up, and it sounds kind of bootleggy. Saw some Manufacture on Demand DVD’s for the Toho Scope Varan release on EBay for $15. Because of the price, I’m tempted to buy it, but I don’t know if I’m getting a bootleg. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Last edited by KingKaiju on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:50 pm

KingKaiju wrote:So, what does Manufacture on Demand mean? I looked it up, and it sounds kind of bootleggy. Saw some Manufacture on Demand DVD’s for the Toho Scope Varan release on EBay for $15. Because of the price, I’m tempted to buy it, but I don’t know if I’m getting a bootleg. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

It’s a DVD-R likely made using the ISO files from the Tokyo Shock DVD. It’s in essence a bootleg copy of the disc but there’s not likely to be any discernible differences besides the type of disc. If you’re desperate for a copy and don’t care about the morality of owning a counterfeit product, it’s a decent way to stock up on old releases.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:25 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:So, what does Manufacture on Demand mean? I looked it up, and it sounds kind of bootleggy. Saw some Manufacture on Demand DVD’s for the Toho Scope Varan release on EBay for $15. Because of the price, I’m tempted to buy it, but I don’t know if I’m getting a bootleg. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

It’s a DVD-R likely made using the ISO files from the Tokyo Shock DVD. It’s in essence a bootleg copy of the disc but there’s not likely to be any discernible differences besides the type of disc. If you’re desperate for a copy and don’t care about the morality of owning a counterfeit product, it’s a decent way to stock up on old releases.

Sounds good to me! Thanks!

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:57 pm

Just to be clear, "Manufacture on Demand" doesn't necessarily mean the disc is a bootleg. Some labels, like WB's Warner Archive, have taken to doing this for catalog titles, but I don't think Media Blasters would be doing anything of that sort. (Although, with them, who the hell really knows?) Those are probably unauthorized copies.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:31 pm

Terasawa wrote:Just to be clear, "Manufacture on Demand" doesn't necessarily mean the disc is a bootleg. Some labels, like WB's Warner Archive, have taken to doing this for catalog titles, but I don't think Media Blasters would be doing anything of that sort. (Although, with them, who the hell really knows?) Those are probably unauthorized copies.

I found the listing in question and it's definitely not MB doing it. It even calls Varan a "public domain" movie.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:41 pm

It came in the mail. Movie works fine, quality is fine. I just need to get a blank DVD cover and print out the picture. The other side of the disk is just plain white.

Last edited by KingKaiju on Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingkevzilla88
G-Grasper

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Is there a streaming guide to Toho's movies? I feel like that would be really helpful right now.

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Mon May 25, 2020 2:00 pm

There’s this thread, but it could stand an update.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

BabyG1975
Ronin

Postby BabyG1975 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:21 am

Did "Age Video" release "Godzilla vs. Megalon" in 2003? If so what does it look like? And can somebody send me a link to it? Toho Kingdom has it under a DVD so my guess is it's a DVD.
"Listen kid... Theirs two things you don't know about the Earth, one is me, the other Godzilla"- Captain Gordon Godzilla Final Wars

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:48 am

EDIT: Nevermind
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Pannozzi
Yojimbo

Postby John Pannozzi » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:04 pm

Question about the foreign Blu-rays of King Kong (1976) released by or in association with Studio Canal.

According to DVD Compare, most Blu-ray releases of it only have 13:50 worth of Deleted Scenes, but the German release apparently has 16:30 instead. What is the difference? Does the German release have more deleted scenes than the other releases? Or is this a mistake?
Friends don't lie.

Return to “Toho Media”