Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
User avatar
Mr. Yellow
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 am
Contact:

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Mr. Yellow » Wed May 10, 2017 11:21 am

Yup, and expensive as hell. I'm trying to stick to official and Region 1 releases only. Believe me, I would LOVE a set of Toho blus, but I just can't pull the trigger.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Joseph Goodman
Yojimbo
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Joseph Goodman » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:43 am

Has anyone here attempted to rent/download the Amazon.jp Prime Video versions of the Toho kaiju library? There's quite a few in HD that aren't on Blu, like FCTW and "The Last War". Can you even do such a thing across regions?

User avatar
morgoth
Interpol Agent
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:26 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby morgoth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:57 pm

Is there any HD version of Gamera vs Gyaos that have the Daiei International dub?
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
Posts: 6411
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Goji » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:35 am

morgoth wrote:Is there any HD version of Gamera vs Gyaos that have the Daiei International dub?

Officially, no. Just fan made stuff.

User avatar
morgoth
Interpol Agent
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:26 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby morgoth » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Goji wrote:
morgoth wrote:Is there any HD version of Gamera vs Gyaos that have the Daiei International dub?

Officially, no. Just fan made stuff.

Any of the fan stuff any good?
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

User avatar
GodzillaBurgh
Interpol Agent
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:28 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby GodzillaBurgh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:06 am

My God, trying to buy the Media Blasters Toho Sci-Fi/Kaiju films are like buying the Dragon Boxes.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Image

User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
Posts: 6411
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Goji » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:22 am

morgoth wrote:
Goji wrote:
morgoth wrote:Is there any HD version of Gamera vs Gyaos that have the Daiei International dub?

Officially, no. Just fan made stuff.

Any of the fan stuff any good?

No clue. I haven't bothered. I just know they exist.

Online
User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4921
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby LegendZilla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 am

Anyone willing to take a smart guess as to when the rest of the Saperstein/UPA pack will be released on Blu-Ray in North America?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Mr. Yellow
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 am
Contact:

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Mr. Yellow » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:49 am

GodzillaBurgh wrote:My God, trying to buy the Media Blasters Toho Sci-Fi/Kaiju films are like buying the Dragon Boxes.

I hear you, haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm waiting/hoping/praying all those get another release soon.

That and we finally get the proper version of Gorath.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

User avatar
TheSecondComing
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3998
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby TheSecondComing » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:24 am

I guess this is the right thread.

Toho is releasing Matango, Frankenstein Conquers the World, and the Mothra trilogy on blu-ray in Japan on November 3.

http://kaijuhometheatre.blogspot.com/20 ... in-vs.html
[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/Legionmaster/pWo.jpg[/img]

User avatar
Mr. Yellow
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 am
Contact:

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Mr. Yellow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:12 am

That looks like an awesome website...I wish there was a way to follow them on Twitter.

Hoping these blurays get a region 1 release!
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
Posts: 6411
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Goji » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Mr. Yellow wrote: Hoping these blurays get a region 1 release!

Don't count on it. Nobody knows if Media Blasters even still has the rights to these, but even if they do, they've made it abundantly clear that they're not interested in releasing Blu-Rays of any of the non-Godzilla Toho titles.
Last edited by Goji on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. Yellow
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 am
Contact:

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Mr. Yellow » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:41 am

I'll still hold out some hope, albeit however small.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

User avatar
OGMechaMothra
Samurai
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:45 am

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby OGMechaMothra » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:47 pm

I want to pick up other toho kaiju films and they are super pricey. Hoping for some newer releases.

User avatar
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 8401
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:33 am

August Ragone posted this on Twitter. Will have to see how this turns out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RagoneAugust ... 2093132800
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4618
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Zarm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:45 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:August Ragone posted this on Twitter. Will have to see how this turns out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RagoneAugust ... 2093132800


Sure be nice if it led to a U.S. Blu-ray release of some of those... or heck, even an official DVD release of Son of Godzilla. (I mean, on the one hand, I don't want to have to re-buy my whole collection, but on the other hand... it'd be great to have HD prints!)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5140
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:18 am

Zarm wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:August Ragone posted this on Twitter. Will have to see how this turns out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RagoneAugust ... 2093132800


Sure be nice if it led to a U.S. Blu-ray release of some of those... or heck, even an official DVD release of Son of Godzilla. (I mean, on the one hand, I don't want to have to re-buy my whole collection, but on the other hand... it'd be great to have HD prints!)


I agree. I don't want to re-buy everything, BUT I'd LOVE to see what Criterion would cook up for extras.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Grasper
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Are there any DVD/Blu Ray options for U.S. customers, where I'm not having to deal with ridiculous dubtitles or crappy titles that cover the Japanese title sequences? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but when I see someone say "Mecha G", when they clearly say "Kiryu", it bugs the hell out of me. That, on top of having to read "Godzilla: Tokyo SOS" in crappy photoshop font, while the sequence is moving along in the background. I would love to own all the Japanese Godzilla films on DVD or Blu Ray, but I can't seem to not find the super edited crap like that. I loved the Toho Master Collection from a few years back, with Rodan, War of the Gargantuas, and the first six godzilla films and a few other showa films.
Image

User avatar
Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5140
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 am

KingKaiju wrote:Are there any DVD/Blu Ray options for U.S. customers, where I'm not having to deal with ridiculous dubtitles or crappy titles that cover the Japanese title sequences? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but when I see someone say "Mecha G", when they clearly say "Kiryu", it bugs the hell out of me. That, on top of having to read "Godzilla: Tokyo SOS" in crappy photoshop font, while the sequence is moving along in the background. I would love to own all the Japanese Godzilla films on DVD or Blu Ray, but I can't seem to not find the super edited crap like that. I loved the Toho Master Collection from a few years back, with Rodan, War of the Gargantuas, and the first six godzilla films and a few other showa films.


This has been a complaint of mine for a while. Seeing GODZILLA MOTHRA KING GHIDORAH block the beautiful Japanese text intro of GMK has long bothered me. The only times I haven't experienced it has been on the bootleg market for OOP films that I've acquired. Where they are literally just the Japanese film with English subtitles.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4618
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Postby Zarm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 am

Maritonic wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Are there any DVD/Blu Ray options for U.S. customers, where I'm not having to deal with ridiculous dubtitles or crappy titles that cover the Japanese title sequences? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but when I see someone say "Mecha G", when they clearly say "Kiryu", it bugs the hell out of me. That, on top of having to read "Godzilla: Tokyo SOS" in crappy photoshop font, while the sequence is moving along in the background. I would love to own all the Japanese Godzilla films on DVD or Blu Ray, but I can't seem to not find the super edited crap like that. I loved the Toho Master Collection from a few years back, with Rodan, War of the Gargantuas, and the first six godzilla films and a few other showa films.


This has been a complaint of mine for a while. Seeing GODZILLA MOTHRA KING GHIDORAH block the beautiful Japanese text intro of GMK has long bothered me. The only times I haven't experienced it has been on the bootleg market for OOP films that I've acquired. Where they are literally just the Japanese film with English subtitles.


Very much agreed, in both cases!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!


Return to “Toho Media”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests