Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
KingKaiju
Futurian

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by KingKaiju »

gigan72 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:So uhhh, I had kind of an impulse buy today. I was at Best Buy, and picked up the Toho Godzilla Collection double feature of GMMG and GFW Blu Ray for $5. Remembering all the dubtitles, and not great quality, of the GMMG, GxM, GMK, and GxMG dvd's I'm now having sort of buyer's remorse. Is this pretty much the same thing, but on Blu Ray?
No, there is a decent and noticeable uptick in quality on the Blu-ray over the DVD's, and are well worth it for $5, especially with the HD digital copies that are thrown in (if you use those, of course).
Niiiice!! Thanks.

tmeister
Ronin

Post by tmeister »

So silly question, but has anyone heard anything about a re-release of Frankenstein Conquers the World? I know there was a release by Tokyo Shock, but I am not sure that I want to pay seventy bucks for a DVD.
High five dudes!

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

tmeister wrote:So silly question, but has anyone heard anything about a re-release of Frankenstein Conquers the World? I know there was a release by Tokyo Shock, but I am not sure that I want to pay seventy bucks for a DVD.
It's possible that it may be released by Kraken in the future, but the other OOP Tokyo Shock discs (Atragon, Space Amoeba, Latitude Zero, Varan, etc.) have yet to be released again so it is doubtful.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Seeing as most have been OOP for a while, the assumption is that Media Blasters have lost the rights to all of the other non-Godzilla Toho titles, which would mean the rights would have reverted back to Toho. This would mean that a new distributor would have to pick them up.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Man I hate how picky I am with DVD releases. I'm obsessed with getting the best possible versions of each movie and I'm literally driving myself insane. I wish there was an updated guide movie by movie with the best version of each movie.

This goes beyond Toho too, I'm currently trying to do that with all kinds of monster movies.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Nah, it's one of those streaming sites. You might've actually heard of them; it's one of a few similarly-named sites that went down for a while recently. If that doesn't ring any bells shoot me a message and I'll link you
Send me pls.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

tycerium
Samurai

Post by tycerium »

Here's my review of the Shin Godzilla blu-ray, and also the steelbook case, out now in Japan. My review includes clips! So watch it fast before Toho has it removed.

(I believe I can legally show these clips, under the fair use doctrine, since this is a review, but Toho might not agree and have the video removed anyway.)

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

tycerium wrote:

Here's my review of the Shin Godzilla blu-ray, and also the steelbook case, out now in Japan. My review includes clips! So watch it fast before Toho has it removed.

(I believe I can legally show these clips, under the fair use doctrine, since this is a review, but Toho might not agree and have the video removed anyway.)
You should be safe, the clips are short and not even direct disc captures.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Goji wrote:Seeing as most have been OOP for a while, the assumption is that Media Blasters have lost the rights to all of the other non-Godzilla Toho titles, which would mean the rights would have reverted back to Toho. This would mean that a new distributor would have to pick them up.
It'd be great if Kraken debuted DVD/Blu-rays of these movies, although that's if MB doesn't actually have these titles. They could have the titles and simply not be using them like whoever has PotM (I forget which distributor has it in the US but they've never had a DVD of it as far as I know).

Of course I also would want Kraken do have SoG, Mechagodzilla, and ZF.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Mr. Yellow wrote:Man I hate how picky I am with DVD releases. I'm obsessed with getting the best possible versions of each movie and I'm literally driving myself insane. I wish there was an updated guide movie by movie with the best version of each movie.

This goes beyond Toho too, I'm currently trying to do that with all kinds of monster movies.
If you want the original Japanese releases, the best possible releases available are the Toho Blu-rays. If you don't want to pay $43.00 + shipping per disc and then find a way to get subtitles onto them, then you go with the U.S. Blu-rays where available. For the films not on Blu-ray, then things get more complicated. If the Blu-ray was released with a DVD, then get the accompanying DVD. If the film has never been released on DVD, then you only have one choice for GRA and GtTHM, and two choices for MvG, IotAM, AMA & ToMG.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I think I just struggle with the constant threat that a "new and better" version might suddenly get announced.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

Just a quick question, does anybody know if Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Son of Godzilla are dubbed or subbed on VUDU?
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Figured it was better posted here....

Kind of skeptical because some of the rarer Toho DVDs have started to show up on Amazon. They're pricey, but they're fulfilled by Amazon. I looked at other items the seller had on Amazon and people are complaining about bootleg DVDs. You would think being fulfilled by Amazon means they're legit, but it doesn't appear that way. Thoughts?

"Bootleg" Megalon? https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Megalon ... 711&sr=8-1

Dogora sold by same seller, Cinema Scape: https://www.amazon.com/Dogora-Y%C3%B4su ... HEWJKATSQX

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

A lot of the Media Blasters releases are on eBay for affordable prices and they are indeed legit releases straight from the MB Warehouse, as per the return address.

If this is the same situation here (which i bet it is), those sellers probably acquired some old unsold stock.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I don't know about that Megalon though. There is no "multi format" release of that. The Blu-Ray and DVD releases are seperate. I own both, and the Blu most definitely didn't come with a DVD copy.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Goji wrote:I don't know about that Megalon though. There is no "multi format" release of that. The Blu-Ray and DVD releases are seperate. I own both, and the Blu most definitely didn't come with a DVD copy.
Amazon for some reason sometimes lists regular Blu-Rays under the "Multi-Format" tag.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yeah, Amazon can surprisingly be very confusing especially when it comes to linking multiple releases for multiples titles with the same name (see King Kong). The support was no help either.

Just made me very skeptical when I saw people complaining about CinemaScopes Megalon and seeing the other DVDs they had. Between the price and uncertainly, I think I'll stand pat and see if somehow Kraken gets ahold of these.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Even weirder is that sometimes the "Multi Format Version", which includes a Blu-ray, is cheaper than the "Blu-ray Version". I like to jump on new Godzilla and Toho media releases from the small companies quickly just in case they go out of print.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

They do seem to go out of print very quickly and I should be accustomed to that by now.

I prefer obviously brand new discs in best possible condition and format, but trying to grow my Kong collection I had to resort to a used copy of King Kong Lives since the disc is super rare with no blu in sight. The 33 and 05 Kong got new releases on blu, but no love for 76 or the sequel. 76 only got a new release on DVD which seems odd to me. With Skull island out they could've easily slapped a double blu with 76 and KKLives.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Mr. Yellow wrote:They do seem to go out of print very quickly and I should be accustomed to that by now.

I prefer obviously brand new discs in best possible condition and format, but trying to grow my Kong collection I had to resort to a used copy of King Kong Lives since the disc is super rare with no blu in sight. The 33 and 05 Kong got new releases on blu, but no love for 76 or the sequel. 76 only got a new release on DVD which seems odd to me. With Skull island out they could've easily slapped a double blu with 76 and KKLives.
King Kong '76 got region free Blu-ray releases in France and Japan, but they are OOP.