Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Gojira69
Yojimbo

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by Gojira69 »

Over the past two weeks I have had the opportunity to burn BD disks of fan reconstructions of G85, Smog Monster and Sea Monster. These are reconstructions of the New World, Walter Reide, and Titan Production’s US theatrical and in the case Sea Monster, TV releases of those films. This is the first time I’ve been able to watch these films in these forms Since I first watched when they came out decades ago. They are phenomenal! What these fans have done in restoring our memories of these films is nothing short of a blessing! I’m amazed at the picture quality sound quality and actually I appreciate these films more than I have in a long long time.

Any recommendations out there for other fan reconstructions I don’t wanna miss?
Last edited by Gojira69 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Gojira69
Yojimbo

Post by Gojira69 »

Is there an HD fan reconstruction War of the Gargantuas?

Gojira69
Yojimbo

Post by Gojira69 »

DOH! I just found out Arrow's release of the Complete Gamera set HAD all the dubs in it. I had incorrectly believed it did not so took a pass. But just listened to Kyodai Kino's review of the box... Sadly, it is sold out. Does anyone know if Arrow plans to put out a regular release of these now that the limited edition is out of print?

Update: I have my answer. Thanks.
Last edited by Gojira69 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gojira69
Yojimbo

Post by Gojira69 »

Is there an HD fan reconstruction Yog, Monster from Space?

Gojira69
Yojimbo

Post by Gojira69 »

Does anyone have a rip of the two recalled Rhino discs with Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster and Megalon they'd be willing to share?

Got an answer! Thanks.
Last edited by Gojira69 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira69
Yojimbo

Post by Gojira69 »

I'm getting so much enjoyment with catching up on all the fan reconstructions some of you have created in recent years... Godzilla 1985, G v. Sea Monster, G v. Smog Monster, etc.

I bought double BD cases for those and placed them each facing the Krakken releases from a few years back.

I watched Kyodai Kino's review of KK v. Godzilla and am chafing at the bit to be able to view that reconstruction, but it eludes me so far. Any help getting a copy would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob Burns
San Francisco

Gojira69
Yojimbo

Post by Gojira69 »

What do we get in the fan HD reconstruction of DAM that we do not get with the Media Blasters BD?

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Gojira69 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:16 pm What do we get in the fan HD reconstruction of DAM that we do not get with the Media Blasters BD?
The first post of this thread has all the details. tl;dr - The audio is much improved, the editing matches the American version, and the titles and credits were recreated in HD.

Gojira69
Yojimbo

Post by Gojira69 »

heiseigodzilla425 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:14 pm
Gojira69 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:16 pm What do we get in the fan HD reconstruction of DAM that we do not get with the Media Blasters BD?
The first post of this thread has all the details. tl;dr - The audio is much improved, the editing matches the American version, and the titles and credits were recreated in HD.
Great, thanks!

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Godzilla ... ay/164388/

G2014 getting a 4K release a week before Godzilla vs. Kong!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Hopefully they brighten the image a little this time, it is silly to have to play or rip and convert the 3-D Blu-ray just to get a picture where you do not have to guess what is going on in the night scenes.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Great Hierophant wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:50 pm Hopefully they brighten the image a little this time, it is silly to have to play or rip and convert the 3-D Blu-ray just to get a picture where you do not have to guess what is going on in the night scenes.
Indeed. I genuinely believe something happened with the initial Blu Ray release, that transfer felt aggressively dark.

Hopefully a fresh 4K presentation and the HDR treatment will give the film a more pleasing look, visually. If ever there was a chance for the look of the film being "fixed" or improved, this is it.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

gigan73
Yojimbo

Post by gigan73 »

For those who care about exclusives, the Godzilla 4K will also be arriving in a Steelbook (metal packaging) at Best-Buy and will also have a set with a booklet, cards and exclusive packaging. The set is an HMV exclusive in the UK and also will be available in France.

An early note for those hoping for a 'brighter' transfer, there's a few things to take note of. Depending on the capability of your display, the movie could look brighter or it could even look darker. The disc features HDR10 only and no Dolby Vision so its up to your screen to properly map out the brightness of the image (some people had issues with this the Warner 4K for Goodfellas due to its darkness, while higher end displays and/or players reproduced the image better). The currently available Blu-ray was most likely overseen by Gareth Edwards (Warner typically has the DP and director oversee transfers for disc) so i'd expect the 4K to hold very similar brghtness levels. The included Blu-ray will 100% be exactly the same as the one currently available.

Also, something people mentioned when the Blu-ray first came out was that the 3D disc looks brighter. This is because 3D transfers in general are brightened to compensate for the darkening the 3D glasses adds.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

3-D Blu-rays generally look brighter than their 2-D counterparts because they have to act against the polarizing filters on the 3-D glasses which decrease the amount of light which reaches the eye. Perhaps viewing the 3-D version is too dark too when using the intended method.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'll still opt to be the optimist.

Yes, the bigger and better the display...the better G14 looks. On my fairly cheap 37" HD TV, it was quite a frustrating vieiwng. On my 40" 4KTV, it looks better. On my friends 4K projector...it was even better. All 3 used the same Blu Ray...just the displays were bigger and better each time.

So I imagine on a truly top notch 4K TV with a top notch 4K player...even the Blu Ray would avoid a lot of the issues some of the lower tier displays have, and I imagine a 4K disc with HDR would only be better.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Anyone know when we might see Rodan or Varan available on blu-ray?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Rodan has been out in Japan since 2009 (and it looks awful). The U.S. rights have been held by Janus Films since at least 2017; Janus titles are usually handled on video by Criterion, but there's been no indication that a Rodan Blu-ray is forthcoming. Ditto for The War of the Gargantuas, another Janus title.

Toho has a hi-def transfer of Varan but it isn't available on Blu in Japan, so a U.S. release is really unlikely at present.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

I noticed something interesting. Toho has an official Godzilla store on Amazon. Scroll down to the bottom, and you see a link Beyond Godzilla, Toho Pioneered Practical Special FX Films Known as Tokusatsu. This page has listings for some DVDs and BDs, and some items of interest include nearly all of the MediaBlasters DVDs which are available for $30 from a third-party seller (I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that those are bootlegs), the Rodan and War of the Gargantuas DVD combo for $140, and a currently-unavailable German DVD of Gorath. Obviously Toho knows if their movies are still licensed to MediaBlasters (which seems unlikely at this point), and they obviously know which territory DVDs and BDs are intended to be sold in. It almost feels like they're endorsing bootlegs and imports, but this is probably the fault of someone at Toho and/or Amazon that doesn't know any better.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

No, there's a high chance that they're just leftovers from Media Blasters' warehouse. I bought a copy of Atragon off one of these third-party sellers for $30 a few years ago and it was genuine.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gigan73
Yojimbo

Post by gigan73 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 am No, there's a high chance that they're just leftovers from Media Blasters' warehouse. I bought a copy of Atragon off one of these third-party sellers for $30 a few years ago and it was genuine.
It's leftovers, Media Blasters has also sold some of them through eBay (including Atragon, Space Amoeba, Latitude Zero, Dogora, and their old Gamera the Brave Blu-ray at one point). Some of them even included inserts that were meant for the studios adult titles.