Why hasn't Media Blasters rereleased the other Toho movies?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Why hasn't Media Blasters rereleased the other Toho movi

Post by Goji »

The G'85/ROG issue has been discussed to death, even over at the Club Tokyo forums. You know this, Dr. Kain.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Goji wrote:The G'85/ROG issue has been discussed to death, even over at the Club Tokyo forums. You know this, Dr. Kain.
seriously. this keeps cropping up. no offense to anyone is intended, but it's literally all over this section of the forum. there's no need for members to be redundant about it at this point.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Goji wrote:The G'85/ROG issue has been discussed to death, even over at the Club Tokyo forums. You know this, Dr. Kain.
Actually, I have not. The last time I was in any video discussion in 85 was when someone said that WB owned it, which I think was five years ago.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Actually, I have not. The last time I was in any video discussion in 85 was when someone said that WB owned it, which I think was five years ago.
well if you didn't, my man, you could check the threads around here. the information regarding these movies doesn't change incredibly often, and when it does it's big news. i am sometimes surprised this subforum gets as much action as it does because of this.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

three wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:
well if you didn't, my man, you could check the threads around here. the information regarding these movies doesn't change incredibly often, and when it does it's big news. i am sometimes surprised this subforum gets as much action as it does because of this.
All I did was make a comment in this topic. I don't care that much as I have the Jp BD. I think it is pretty damn -------- though that no one has licensed the movie to release on BD in the US. You would think Sony would have done so when they were doing this BD craze last year.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

you would think, but as it has been alluded to nobody knows what's going on and why it's taking so long. all we have is speculation. whenever it does happen though, it will probably spread like wildfire, and you won't have to ask. that's how i keep myself happy, at least. :lol:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I don't see how it's "--------". Sony wouldn't have been able to acquire the rights because the film isn't currently available for licensing in the U.S. This was covered in the quote from kpa that was literally just posted by g2vd..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Goji wrote:I don't see how it's "--------". Sony wouldn't have been able to acquire the rights because the film isn't currently available for licensing in the U.S. This was covered in the quote from kpa that was literally just posted by g2vd..
you're literally misusing the word literally. he posted it yesterday morning --- not quite literally enough to warrant literally. literally, it's too late to use the word literally. for serious.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It was simply a mild exaggeration. You remove that word, and "just posted" still applies. Besides, the point is that he's not processing any of the information being presented to him.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Goji wrote:It was simply a mild exaggeration. You remove that word, and "just posted" still applies. Besides, the point is that he's not processing any of the information being presented to him.
i am just trying to defuse the situation by being over the top ridiculous right now, is all. we both made the same point at least once.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

No, you are misinformed WB does not own the rights to ROG, nobody does though as Chris55 said they owned the TV rights for a while, but they soon expired that is all they had. nobody can release ROG or any other versions of it, due to some legal issue here in the states, whoever told you that WB had the rights to release it on DVD was misinformed by false rumors or heard it wrong, so until this issue is solved nobody can own the rights to release it here in the states, and this is coming from KPA owner of Scifi Japan who has direct ties with Toho, and is saying exactly what they told him.

The original contract between Toho and New World took place 26 years ago, and New World has been out of business since 1997 so they wouldn't have been able to renew their rights for more than a decade.

What it boils down to is whatever was agreed to in their original contract, and none of us have seen that. Each contract is unique so we don't know how long New World would hold the rights to G85, or if they were allowed to sell their rights to another distributor like Anchor Bay. Toho has said AB had no claim on the film, and AB decided not to release it so that's a dead issue IMO. But there's obviously some issue that's prevented Toho for offering the film to other licensees. Toho is very cautious so my understanding is they'll wait until they're 100% sure there's no legal issue that could crop up from licensing G85 again. Toho has told me they're aware there's a lot of demand for this film so they would be holding it (and losing out on a sale) for no reason.
Godzilla