Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
astroturf
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Godzilla Films getting 4K Restoration (Toho)

Post by astroturf »

any update on these?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

No. Again, 4K versions of these weren't announced. Specific scenes were chosen from every Godzilla film to showcase what was possible with 4K. Only the original 1954 film (in it's entirety) has been mastered and screened in 4K.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Goji wrote:No. Again, 4K versions of these weren't announced. Specific scenes were chosen from every Godzilla film to showcase what was possible with 4K. Only the original 1954 film (in it's entirety) has been mastered and screened in 4K.
Although it is possible that with the new Toho G in the works this will change.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It might, sure, but (again, for like the 3rd time) they just released the rest of the Godzilla catalogue on Blu-ray in Japan. They're not going to be in a rush to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on properly restoring these films for a long while. If the new Toho film is a success, maybe they'll consider it (or at least some of the more popular titles), but it's going to be a couple of years before we know that information.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

What remains to be seen: will this 4k version of G54 top the video quality of Criterion's? I tend to doubt it, depsite all of the great things I've heard about 4k restorations...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ I'm curious about that myself. It would be kind of hilarious if the Critereon still ended up being the superior restoration.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

There's only so much you can do with a 2nd gen fine positive element.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Whatever happened to this?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

kamilleblu wrote:Whatever happened to this?
There's been pretty much nothing since the initial announcement. I'm guessing we'll be seeing plenty of updates when Shin Gojira gets released.

Added in 4 hours 27 minutes 9 seconds:
http://augustragone.blogspot.com/2016/0 ... a.html?m=1

Looks like things are ramping up! Hopefully this will be the definitive edition of the Japenese version.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

August Ragone posted on his blog that some of the 4K remasters will be premiering on Japanese TV this summer.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Cool! Too bad that we'll never see them though..
Godzilla

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

King Kong vs Godzilla being the highlight apparently. Most likely do to the for coming Godzilla vs Kong film.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That's not coming out for another four years, with at least two more Godzilla movies coming out in the meantime. I'd say it's likely because it was the most successful Godzilla movie in Japan and the movie that launched the series proper, to say nothing of the simple appeal of King Kong and Godzilla fighting.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Well isn't this interesting.
http://augustragone.blogspot.com/2016/0 ... shots.html
On October 1st of 2015, I reported on the then-upcoming Nihon Eiga Senmon Channel's satellite cable broadcast of a newly-complete and restored version of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (read more here), which was followed up this past May 1st's breaking story on the 4k remaster of the film, which has been in sore need of a proper restoration for more than forty years (read more here).

Here are screenshots from a teaser trailer that just began running, comparing the 2015 restoration with the 2016 4k Remaster bowing on the satellite cable provider this coming July. The full teaser trailer was unavailable at press time, but will be featured in a future update once it has been uploaded by NESC. For now, there are eight images for you to compare.
Godzilla

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Wow, definitely an upgrade in the visuals department!

I wonder if the realism gets watered down from this and things get really noticeable.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

ILL GREEN wrote:Wow, definitely an upgrade in the visuals department!

I wonder if the realism gets watered down from this and things get really noticeable.
What realism? This is King Kong vs. Godzilla we're talking about
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Gawdziller
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Gawdziller »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:

ARE YOU SAYING GODZILLA'S NOT REAL?!

YOU'RE LYING! WHAT MAKES YOU LIE?!

::runs away weeping::
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:

How about "the fantasy gets watered down and things get really real, like fa realz"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Nobody ever goes into these films expecting "realism", so I'm fairly certain that's not a concern to anyone.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I think his point was more about imperfections and such with the suits being clearer with the upgraded resolution.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.