Will they re-release of Son of Godzilla/VsMechagodzilla74

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Will they re-release of Son of Godzilla/VsMechagodzilla74

Post by LegendZilla »

Somebody oughta release the rest of movies that Classic Media licenced on R1 Blu-Ray within the foreseeable future as well.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Mr. Xeno wrote:With the new Godzilla film just around the corner, I'm surprised we haven't seen any announcements yet for these two. Fingers crossed we get some news soon!
Seeing as it's a Japanese film with no plans for a U.S. theatrical release, I don't know why that would inspire American distributors to pursue home video rights to Godzilla films.
LegendZilla wrote:Somebody oughta release the rest of movies that Classic Media licenced on R1 Blu-Ray within the foreseeable future as well.
People have been asking for that for nearly a decade. CM has to first lose those rights, but it would seem that they've either extended them, or had a much longer lasting deal.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Goji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Somebody oughta release the rest of movies that Classic Media licenced on R1 Blu-Ray within the foreseeable future as well.
People have been asking for that for nearly a decade. CM has to first lose those rights, but it would seem that they've either extended them, or had a much longer lasting deal.
DreamWorks Classics (formerly known as Classic Media) doesn't necessarily have to lose the rights in order for blu-rays to be produced. They have sublicensed a Godzilla title before, but that process is likely too complicated for the other 6 lesser known movies:
SciFi Japan wrote:In order to make GODZILLA part of The Criterion Collection, Criterion entered into complicated negotiations with Toho that would allow them to sub-license the rights from Classic Media and Westchester Films. The current deal only covers the first film, and the company has no plans to release any of the Godzilla sequels or Toho’s other monster movies.
Classic Media did try releasing Gojira to blu-ray themselves once, but the results were subpar. I think that CM shot themselves in the foot when they released Gojira to BD, since they didn't bother using a better master, and they also didn't include the American version (which the general public is more familiar with).

I would like to see the remaining 6 Godzilla films that DreamWorks Classics own on blu-ray, but I'm not sure that I want them to lose their rights in order to make way for another studio. They might not have to surrender their elements to Toho once their rights lapse, and that would make it very difficult for another studio to release the American versions of those films, which are becoming more rare as time goes on.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Well, as recently as two years ago, they decided to not do Blu-rays. If a large scale, American made Godzilla film wasn't enough, then I don't know what is. If they were going to sublicense anything, that would have been the time.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

I completely agree, I don't think we'll be seeing them release blu-rays anytime soon, especially if the American Godzilla movie didn't provide enough interest in the franchise (although companies like Sony, EchoBridge/Lionsgate, MediaBlasters, and Kraken seemed to think there was enough interest to at least buy Toho's newish HD masters).

It seems like Criterion had to work with Toho a lot in their deal, not just Classic Media. That may have been due to them trying to get better materials directly from Toho, and not just licensing. But if a potential sublicensee needed to negotiate with Toho as well as DreamWorks Classics, then that would likely further complicate the process and make any potential deal (IMO, needlessly) more expensive.

The potential for Blu-Rays could become even more complicated since there are talks for Comcast to buy DreamWorks Animation (DreamWorks Classics' parent company). If DreamWorks Animation and/or DreamWorks Classics are trying to organize a buyout, they may not be very concerned with Godzilla for some time, and any potential new owner may or may not have any interest either.

EDIT: The Comcast buyout of Dreamworks Animation is happening.
Last edited by heiseigodzilla425 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

GvM is the last film I don't have (on DVD) so I bought it the other day. As mentioned above if G14 couldn't bring this one out legitimately than I don't know any other event that will.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Perhaps the Comcast/Dreamworks deal will mean that these movies will become available for Comcast's cable subscribers. Hulu currently has streaming rights to many of the classic films, Classic Media, Kraken and Media Blasters are all represented there.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ Not that would really matter, because it wouldn't solve the 'no Blu-rays' problem. Toho would also have to provide the network with subbed, HD masters of all of those films, and as far as we know, those don't exist. Anytime the UPA or Golden Books library of G films (the ones that Classic Media picked up) are played on TV, they're just the same SD masters we saw released on the CM DVDs 10 years ago.

Also, some channels may not want subtitled films, which would further complicate things, because it means Toho would have to make HD masters of the U.S. versions of Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, AND Terror of Mechagodzilla. My point is, these are all U.S. versions that Toho don't have good materials for (If anyone was around when Classic Media was first putting together these DVDs, then you know how much of a pain it was for them to include, and in some cases, patch together, the U.S. versions).

International versions of these select films (the versions that Toho actually own and produce film material films) only exist for one of said films, TOMG. The other five only had unique U.S. versions which Toho simply don't have materials for, so making HD versions of them would prove to be a pain. Gigantis the Fire Monster was a scan of Ed G's 16mm copy, Vs. The Thing was a video master with an incorrect aspect ratio (it was chosen because it "had more footage", and was presumably less splicey), Ghidorah and Monster Zero's U.S. versions were literally just patched together using the Japanese DVD master and English audio from an analog source, and Godzilla's Revenge, IIRC, was an old video master (which is tinted purple on the CM DVD, for some reason; unlike the Simitar DVD from '98).

The bottom line is, getting HD masters made for those five films that only had U.S. versions (and no international versions) is going to be a bitch and a half. I do really hope it happens someday, but it's not going to be easy.
Last edited by Goji on Tue May 03, 2016 6:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gawdziller
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Gawdziller »

Goji wrote:^ Not that would really matter, because it wouldn't solve the 'no Blu-rays' problem. Toho would also have to provide the network with subbed, HD masters of all of those films, and as far as we know, those don't exist. Anytime the UPA or Golden Books library of G films (the ones that Classic Media picked up) are played on TV, they're just the same SD masters we saw released on the CM DVDs 10 years ago.

Also, some channels may not want subtitled films, which would further complicate things, because it means Toho would have to make HD masters of the U.S. versions of Godzilla Raids Again, Godzilla vs. The Thing, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, AND Terror of Mechagodzilla. My point is, these are all U.S. versions that Toho don't have good materials for (If anyone was around when Classic Media was first putting together these DVDs, then you know how much of a pain it was for them to include, and in some cases, patch together, the U.S. versions).

International versions of these select films (the versions that Toho actually own and produce film material films) only exist for one of said films, TOMG. The other five only had unique U.S. versions which Toho simply don't have materials for, so making HD versions of them would prove to be a pain. Gigantis the Fire Monster was Ed G's 16mm copy, Vs. The Thing was a video master with an incorrect aspect ratio (it was chosen because it "had more footage", and was presumably less splicey), Ghidorah and Monster Zero's U.S. versions were literally just patched together using the Japanese DVD master and English audio from an analog source, and Godzilla's Revenge, IIRC, was an old video master (which is tinted purple on the CM DVD, for some reason; unlike the Simitar DVD from '98).

The bottom line is, getting HD masters made for those five films that only had U.S. versions (and no international versions) is going to be a bitch and a half. I do really hope it happens someday, but it's not going to be easy.

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
Goji wrote:^ Not that would really matter, because it wouldn't solve the 'no Blu-rays' problem. Toho would also have to provide the network with subbed, HD masters of all of those films, and as far as we know, those don't exist. Anytime the UPA or Golden Books library of G films (the ones that Classic Media picked up) are played on TV, they're just the same SD masters we saw released on the CM DVDs 10 years ago.

Also, some channels may not want subtitled films, which would further complicate things, because it means Toho would have to make HD masters of the U.S. versions (Gigantis the Fire Monster, Godzilla vs. The Thing, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, AND Terror of Mechagodzilla.) My point is, these are all U.S. versions that Toho don't have good materials for (If anyone was around when Classic Media was first putting together these DVDs, then you know how much of a pain it was for them to include, and in some cases, patch together, the U.S. versions).

International versions of these select films (the versions that Toho actually own and produce film material films) only exist for one of said films, TOMG. The other five only had unique U.S. versions which Toho simply don't have materials for, so making HD versions of them would prove to be a pain. Gigantis the Fire Monster was Ed G's 16mm copy, Vs. The Thing was a video master with an incorrect aspect ratio (it was chosen because it "had more footage", and was presumably less splicey), Ghidorah and Monster Zero's U.S. versions were literally just patched together using the Japanese DVD master and English audio from an analog source, and Godzilla's Revenge, IIRC, was an old video master (which is tinted purple on the CM DVD, for some reason; unlike the Simitar DVD from '98).

Added in 23 seconds:

Also, some channels may not want subtitled films, which would further complicate things, because it means Toho would have to make HD masters of the U.S. versions of Godzilla Raids Again, Godzilla vs. The Thing, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, AND Terror of Mechagodzilla. My point is, these are all U.S. versions that Toho don't have good materials for (If anyone was around when Classic Media was first putting together these DVDs, then you know how much of a pain it was for them to include, and in some cases, patch together, the U.S. versions).

Added in 2 minutes 18 seconds:

Also, some channels may not want subtitled films, which would further complicate things, because it means Toho would have to make HD masters of the U.S. versions of several of (Gigantis the Fire Monster, Godzilla vs. The Thing, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, Terror of Mechagodzilla). My point is, these are all U.S. versions that Toho don't have good materials for (If anyone was around when Classic Media was first putting together these DVDs, then you know how much of a pain it was for them to include, and in some cases, patch together, the U.S. versions).

Have no clue why this post ended up being the error post from hell, but it made me laugh.

What I'm really trying to say is Thank You.
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

It is very sad that the U.S. versions of the Godzilla films in the Classic Medial library, with the exception of Terror of Mechagodzilla, exist in Toho's archives in very poor representations. Godzilla, King of the Monsters exists in very good quality outside the Toho archive and was used for Criterion's DVD/Blu-ray. However, Hulu only has the Classic Media master for streaming, which came from a tape copy in Toho's archive.

For every film after GKOTM you will have to get creative with the materials available. The rest is going to be a mix of whatever US footage (credits mainly), US dialog and Japanese footage is necessary to make HD versions of the US versions of these films.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DVD's are an outdated format to be honest. I don't foresee any future rereleases.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:DVD's are an outdated format to be honest. I don't foresee any future rereleases.
Betamax is the future.
Godzilla

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

g2vd wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:DVD's are an outdated format to be honest. I don't foresee any future rereleases.
Betamax is the future.
No way, man. Super 8 or bust.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Who said anything about DVD-only releases? Any future home video releases are likely going to be either Blu-Ray and DVD, or Blu-Ray only, at this point.

For lesser known genre films, I have seen cases of there being Blu-Ray only releases, so you're right, they are slowly on their way out. Still, as long as the major studios are supporting it, it will be around. It's the VHS of this area in that as crappy as the format may be, it's still going to thrive. BetaMax, LaserDisc, and DVD (in it's early years) couldn't bump VHS from the top spot for years.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

How much would it cost to release SoG or GvM digitally? Make them available of Amazon or YouTube. Some streaming service. Does Sony still hold the rights to these films?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Goji wrote:
Who said anything about DVD-only releases? Any future home video releases are likely going to be either Blu-Ray and DVD, or Blu-Ray only, at this point.

For lesser known genre films, I have seen cases of there being Blu-Ray only releases, so you're right, they are slowly on their way out. Still, as long as the major studios are supporting it, it will be around. It's the VHS of this area in that as crappy as the format may be, it's still going to thrive. BetaMax, LaserDisc, and DVD (in it's early years) couldn't bump VHS from the top spot for years.
Completely agreed, and I don't think it'll be the end of Blurays or whatever, but you can't deny that there's a sharp decline in physical media. Thankfully a lot of Blurays have gone down in price with this trend. I remember then Bkurays were a thing only really popular movies got bluray releases and went for like 30$.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

kamilleblu wrote:How much would it cost to release SoG or GvM digitally? Make them available of Amazon or YouTube. Some streaming service. Does Sony still hold the rights to these films?
You can buy both films digitally on Vudu. Sony appears to still have the digital streaming rights.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Starsteam wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:How much would it cost to release SoG or GvM digitally? Make them available of Amazon or YouTube. Some streaming service. Does Sony still hold the rights to these films?
You can buy both films digitally on Vudu. Sony appears to still have the digital streaming rights.
Seems they have the rights to quite a few of the films.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

They won't have the rights forever though. When they expire, Vudu will take them off of your account with no refund. GvMG and SoG seem like risky titles to buy there.

GvMG '74 is eligible for Disc-to-Digital though, so you could get it discounted to $2 if you have the Sony DVD. Of course, if you have the DVD then the digital copy doesn't matter, but you can share your Vudu account with a limited number of people.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

There's an auction on eBay right now of a bunch of Godzilla DVDs, first bid is $10 and shipping ain't that bad at all. But the diamond in this auction is that a copy of Son of Godzilla is included.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godzilla-DVDs-L ... Swve5XNlBY

Added in 22 hours 48 minutes 28 seconds:
Another one. $40 or best offer + $10 shipping, but it includes Son of Godzilla.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Godzilla-C ... SwrnNXQMBq
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14