Half Human Release Guide

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
TylerPreston20
Yojimbo

Half Human Release Guide

Post by TylerPreston20 »

This is a release guide for all the home releases of Half Human. If anyone find the information in this thread inaccurate, by all means, tell me so. Additionally, if you find other releases and with images, also tell me.

VHS:

US Release:
Resized Image

Contains the U.S. cut only, was released during the early 90's.

Can be purchased off of Amazon under used and new:
http://www.amazon.com/Half-Human-John-C ... ref=sr_1_2? ie=UTF8&qid=1393800923&sr=8-2&keywords=Half+Human

French Release:
Resized Image
Was released in 1993. This is the only known widely available copy of the Japanese cut of Half Human
but contains French subtitles.

Additionally, Toho originally was planning to release the Japanese cut of Half Human onto VHS, however,
was cancelled. The same cancelled tape for the Japanese cut thanks to an anonymous uploader was later shared
on the web.

LASERDISCS:

TOHO MONSTER SF ENCYCLOPEDIA:

Resized Image
Contains a 5 minute disgust version of the Japanese cut for Half Human.

U.S LASERDISC RELEASE:

Resized Image
Was released by Rhino in either the 80's or 90's. Contains a very rare colorized version of the U.S. cut.
Last edited by TylerPreston20 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Half Human Release Guide

Post by Godzillian »

The US cut any good?

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

I didn't get around to finishing the US cut, but It is narrated by an actor who doesn't appear with the Japanese cast at all. Strangely enough the Caucasian actors appeared to be dubbed. I'm not sure if they were in the Japanese cut or if that footage was from another movie entirely.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

So, there's NO Region 1 DVD release for this?

TylerPreston20
Yojimbo

Post by TylerPreston20 »

Manda2012 wrote:So, there's NO Region 1 DVD release for this?
Nope, there's no DVD's for either the Japanese cut or the American cut and probably never will be since the movie is banned.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

TylerPreston20 wrote:
Manda2012 wrote:So, there's NO Region 1 DVD release for this?
Nope, there's no DVD's for either the Japanese cut or the American cut and probably never will be since the movie is banned.
Banned WHERE? Japan? They could sell it OUTSIDE Japan...

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Toho just wants to keep it locked in their film archives forever due to it being offensive to a group of people ^^^

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Godzillian wrote:Toho just wants to keep it locked in their film archives forever due to it being offensive to a group of people ^^^
And so the REST of us, end up SCREWED by the PC Police. Lovely...

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Manda2012 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Toho just wants to keep it locked in their film archives forever due to it being offensive to a group of people ^^^
And so the REST of us, end up SCREWED by the PC Police. Lovely...
Disney is doing the same thing with "Song of the South". I'm actually surprised a japanese company is being this PC about something considering some of the stuff that comes out in anime, figures, and other products. No offense meant by that statement

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Why's it considered so controversial?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mr. Xeno wrote:Why's it considered so controversial?
According to Wikipedia Japan, the film has been removed from circulation due to the original version depicting the inhabitants of the remote village similar to the Ainu people as being deformed from generations of inbreeding as well as showing backwards and violent behavior.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Godzillian wrote:
According to Wikipedia Japan, the film has been removed from circulation due to the original version depicting the inhabitants of the remote village similar to the Ainu people as being deformed from generations of inbreeding as well as showing backwards and violent behavior.
Gee, & here I thought that the title refers to the MONSTER. Silly me...

Someone should start a petition to get this thing released - in it's entirety - onto DVD! I'd buy it!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

My sides :lol:

I believe Toho does special screenings of it at cons and film festivals. I could see a limited release if they ever do. I wonder if media blasters ever asked about it.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Someone SHOULD. A limited release - perhaps mail-order only, so the only place it MIGHT shelf-sit is a specialty store - would be perfect!

TylerPreston20
Yojimbo

Post by TylerPreston20 »

If this adds to the conversation, I have 3 versions of Half Human. I have the original Japanese cut, U.S. cut and a 10 minute disgust version in Japanese. I'm still hoping to get the colorized version of the U.S. cut.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

TylerPreston20 wrote:If this adds to the conversation, I have 3 versions of Half Human. I have the original Japanese cut, U.S. cut and a 10 minute disgust version in Japanese. I'm still hoping to get the colorized version of the U.S. cut.
Colorized? Wasn't this filmed in B&W? GOD SAVE US from Hal Roach Studios...

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I actually once provided a bootlegger with a .srt subtitle file so he could put together a DVD. It's also all over torrent sites if you know where to look.

Also whoever's on about the "PC Police," shut up. Now. Please. This is a company taking racism and insensitivity to marginalized groups seriously for once and trying to make things right. Christ, to go back to when political correctness just meant trying not to be an asshole to disadvantaged groups and hadn't been turned into a dirty word by ignorant bigots. No one's screwed us; if you really want the movie, you can get it easily and for free, not that you're missing out on THAT much by not seeing it anyway. It's decent, but it's not legendary.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Godzillian wrote:
So it showed island natives as incestuous, deformed savages? Similar to how some films showed native Americans as such? I can see why something like that would piss someone off, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be released.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I agree that it's a bit much to suppress it completely, but in the end it's the studio's call. They produced it, they decide whether they want that going out with their name on it.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

TylerPreston20
Yojimbo

Post by TylerPreston20 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I actually once provided a bootlegger with a .srt subtitle file so he could put together a DVD. It's also all over torrent sites if you know where to look.
You mind sharing the sub file in a private message?