Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Guide to Toho Film Distributors

Post by Chrispy_G »

If Sony did indeed lose films in 2019....I feel like SOME distributor, one of the boutique labels, would have swooped in and acquired them already. Someone like Scream Factory or Arrow or somebody...that we would have heard something.

But on the same token, I can't really imagine WHY Sony would feel particularly obligated, or see it as particularly beneficial, to hold onto them.

Back onto Godzilla vs Biollante.

I think Echo Bridge is still technically the rights holder. They acquired the movie in a post-Miramax environment to release it on DVD/Blu Ray back in the day. Then I thought I remembered seeing a headline that literally said something like "Lionsgate is helping Echo Bridge release Godzilla vs Biollante"

I think you can find DVD/Blu Ray of Biollante with only Echo Bridge logos on it, and then later printings have Lionsgate on it.

So I think if there is a timeline...Echo Bridge acquired it from Miramax, and then Lionsgate made a deal with Echo Bridge. SOOOO....I am not sure if this is something Lionsgate 'owns' or if Echo Bridge sort of made a distribution deal with them for it? So who knows exactly where that lies, Lionsgate might not have outright 'rights' to it. Sort of similar but not exactly the same as when Criterion sub-licensed the original film while Classic Media still had the distribution rights.

So yeah...that one is a little odd I think. Maybe. Maybe it is just Lionsgate's outright?
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Chrispy_G wrote:I think Echo Bridge is still technically the rights holder. They acquired the movie in a post-Miramax environment to release it on DVD/Blu Ray back in the day. Then I thought I remembered seeing a headline that literally said something like "Lionsgate is helping Echo Bridge release Godzilla vs Biollante"

I think you can find DVD/Blu Ray of Biollante with only Echo Bridge logos on it, and then later printings have Lionsgate on it.

So I think if there is a timeline...Echo Bridge acquired it from Miramax, and then Lionsgate made a deal with Echo Bridge. SOOOO....I am not sure if this is something Lionsgate 'owns' or if Echo Bridge sort of made a distribution deal with them for it? So who knows exactly where that lies, Lionsgate might not have outright 'rights' to it. Sort of similar but not exactly the same as when Criterion sub-licensed the original film while Classic Media still had the distribution rights.

So yeah...that one is a little odd I think. Maybe. Maybe it is just Lionsgate's outright?
I'm not sure where/when people started thinking that Echo Bridge or Lionsgate owned Godzilla vs. Biollante, but Miramax has always owned it. After Disneys sold off Miramax, Miramax made a deal with Echo Bridge and Lionsgate to distribute their titles, and split the titles roughly 50/50 between the two distributors, with Lionsgate taking on the more popular titles. After some time, the deal with Echo Bridge expired, and Lionsgate inherited the Echo Bridge titles, but everything was still sublicensed through Miramax. When Lionsgate took over the distribution for Biollante, they merely released whatever Echo Bridge did, and swapped out Echo Bridge's logo with Lionsgate's logo. (As a side note, I have no idea if the Lionsgate pressings have the same audio issues that the initial Echo Bridge pressings had).

I have no idea if Lionsgate still has a distribution deal with Miramax. If they don't, then that will easily explain why Biollante is OOP these days. If they do still have that distribution deal, then that may be an indication that the rights for Biollante have reverted back to Toho. If we consider that Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra may have reverted back already (since that BD combo pack is apparently OOP, and Keith Aiken stated that those films' renewal dates were in 2019), and assume (with extra emphasis on this being an assumption) that Toho's contracts for distribution rights from around 1989-1992 would have been fairly consistent, then it is not unlikely that Biollante's distribution rights reverted from Miramax back to Toho.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Edited April 7, 2021 with updates and corrections.

Godzilla vs Biollante

heiseigodzilla425 is bringing up what I was thinking of mentioning too, so I think a timeline of the last decade would be informative.

2010 - Disney sells Miramax to Filmyard Holdings.
2011 - Echo Bridge reaches deal to distribute some Miramax titles, which as we learned included Godzilla vs Biollante (released on Blu-ray and DVD in 2012).
2014 - Echo Bridge apparently loses the rights to the Miramax titles. From here, Echo Bridge should no longer be considered part of the conversation regarding Godzilla vs Biollante, and the company is acquired by Steven Paul in 2017. Lionsgate takes over these Miramax titles, which includes Godzilla vs Biollante. A re-release of the Echo Bridge Godzilla vs Biollante Blu-rays and DVDs is brought out, now featuring the Lionsgate logo.
2016 - Miramax is sold to beIN Media Group.
2019 - beIN Media Group sells a 49% stake in Miramax to Paramount (part of ViacomCBS). As part of the deal, Paramount gains exclusive rights to Miramax titles.

Based on this, it would appear to me that a future Godzilla vs Biollante release would be up to Paramount, not Lionsgate or others recently associated with the movie on disc. However, this assumes Miramax still has the license for the movie. I wouldn't be shocked if Miramax had a long-term deal for the movie and not some ongoing 5-year deal they keep renewing. As I think about it: HBO Video released the movie in 1992 on VHS and LaserDisc, but then nothing until Echo Bridge sub-licensed it in 2012. Then Lionsgate effectively re-released the Echo Bridge discs with Lionsgate logos after that. So Miramax hasn't cared themselves to put this movie on physical media for what, decades? It would suggest that the VHS/LaserDisc didn't do that well so once it went OOP they simply kept sitting on the movie without any specific plans. Seems odd they'd keep licensing/sub-licensing a movie that they don't care to maximize the profit of, but there are companies that don't do much with a given title so this is purely my speculation. Under Paramount's direction, I am not sure if we can reasonably hope for new release (even basically another re-issue of the Echo Bridge disc) or not. They may be willing to sub-license it out to Shout, Mill Creek, or whoever. And all of this again is assuming Miramax still has it. They might and they might not, but we can be confident it isn't Echo Bridge's or Lionsgate's.

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth

As far as we know, Sony (through TriStar) would've needed to renew these titles in 2019. We simply do not know if they did, but we are seeing these two specific movies become more scarce, which would give credibility to the speculation they no longer have them (they got rare approximately around the time Sony theoretically could've allowed their licenses to expire). It would also be possible to build a narrative about Sony's interest in these and other Toho titles fading. At their peak, Sony licensed (in the US) 16 of the 28 Toho Godzilla movies, meaning at the time they had over half the titles. Since then, they've let their Showa titles expire, seemingly didn't pursue Shin Godzilla for distribution, didn't pursue any installments of the anime trilogy for distribution, sub-licensed out their perpetually-owned titles (H-Man, Battle in Outer Space, Mothra) to another distributor (implying they don't have sufficient interest in those titles at this time), and may have let two of their Heisei titles expire. If they've let the two Heisei movies expire, that leaves them with 9 Godzilla movies (not counting Shin Godzilla now that they own FUNimation, but FUNimation is likely allowed to operate independently on such matters), or less than a third of the live-action and animated Toho Godzilla movies. And back in the 1990s and 2000s video rental, home video, and cable were all booming; can't really say that about those industries today, so Sony's cost of licensing films they don't own may not mean what it once did when they could instead focus on and invest in their Columbia/Tri-Star library, figure out what their streaming strategy is going to be, etc. It could be a series of coincidences and unrelated events that get strung together to form an opinion, or it could mean that Sony has decided to largely divest of their involvement with Toho titles. Maybe it's something else entirely.

The counterpoint is that Sony could just as easily be temporarily hitting pause on some of these titles, either waiting for demand to increase again or that they are planning new releases, etc. After all, not all movies are continuously in print, so just because something is not currently in print does not mean it's being abandoned. Sony has licensed these titles for a very long time, some of them decades at this point. Whereas they've been rather passive on Showa titles, Godzilla or otherwise, they've showed continuous interest in the Heisei movies, putting them on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray, along with Millennium movies being on DVD and later Blu-ray (plus VHS for Godzilla 2000). The Heisei and Millennium movies probably sell better than the Showa titles anyway, which cater to a smaller market of Godzilla/monster movie fans. Given the lengthy history of Sony licensing these titles, it seems like an odd time for them to pass on these movies but anything is possible.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Just saw two things:

*Remove the line "is out of print" at the end of the Seven Samurai entry on the list; it isn't needed there, as all three Criterion box sets containing the film are previously said to be out of print earlier in the sentence.
*Add the fact that Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth are also on The Toho Godzilla Collection Volume 1.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Tohosaurus wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:32 pm Based on this, it would appear to me that a future Godzilla vs Biollante release would be up to Paramount, not Lionsgate or others recently associated with the movie on disc. However, this assumes Miramax still has the license for the movie. I wouldn't be shocked if Miramax had a long-term deal for the movie and not some ongoing 5-year deal they keep renewing. Think about it: They released the movie in 1992 on VHS and laserdisc, but then nothing until Echo Bridge sub-licensed it in 2012, and then Lionsgate after that. So Miramax hasn't cared themselves to put this movie on physical media for what, decades? It would suggest that the VHS/laserdisc didn't do that well so once it went OOP they simply sat on the movie without any specific plans. Seems odd they'd keep licensing a movie that they don't care to maximize the profit of, but there ARE companies they don't do much with a given title so this is purely my speculation of what's possible. Under Paramount's ownership, I am not sure if we can reasonably hope for a Paramount release (even basically a reissue of the Echo Bridge disc) or not. They may be willing to sub-license it out to Shout, Mill Creek, or whoever. And all of this again is ASSUMING Miramax still has it. They might and they might not. We don't know, but we can be confident it isn't Echo Bridge's or Lionsgate's.

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth
The counterpoint is that Sony could just as easily be temporarily hitting pause on some of these titles, either waiting for demand to increase again or that they are planning new releases, etc. After all, not all movies are continuously in print, so just because something is not currently in print does not mean it's being permanently abandoned. Sony has licensed these titles for a very long time, some of them decades at this point. Whereas they've been rather passive on Showa titles, Godzilla or otherwise, they've showed continuous interest in the Heisei movies, putting them on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray, along with Millennium movies being on DVD and later Blu-ray (even VHS for Godzilla 2000). The Heisei and Millennium movies probably sell better than the Showa titles anyway, which cater to a smaller market of Godzilla/monster movie fans. Given the lengthy history of Sony licensing these titles, it seems like an odd time for them to pass on these movies.
Thanks for this clarification.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Also...Kraken got Ebirah, Hedorah, and Gigan in 2014, then in 2019 Criterion was able to secure them for their Box Set...implying a 5 year license.

They got The Return of Godzilla in 2016...so in theory, if that plays out like Ebirah/Hedorah/Gigan...then that film too might be up for grabs soon...and in a release year for a big new Godzilla movie.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:12 pm Just saw two things:

*Remove the line "is out of print" at the end of the Seven Samurai entry on the list; it isn't needed there, as all three Criterion box sets containing the film are previously said to be out of print earlier in the sentence.
*Add the fact that Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth are also on The Toho Godzilla Collection Volume 1.
Is anyone going to do this? Anyone at all?

I'd hate to think that I got this information for nothing.

I was just thinking: is The Toho Godzilla Collection Volume 1 even in print anymore, or is that one gone too?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:37 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:12 pm Just saw two things:

Is anyone going to do this? Anyone at all?

I'd hate to think that I got this information for nothing.

I was just thinking: is The Toho Godzilla Collection Volume 1 even in print anymore, or is that one gone too?
With respect, one of those two lines wasn't information so much as a correction of a sentence, and the other wasn't information that required extensive research. Nevertheless, sorry for taking so long on this. Other than asking a mod/admin, I am the only one who can modify the original post.

I even added the FYE steelbook in for King Kong vs Godzilla. It appears to still be available. :g2k:
고질라

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks! Very well done indeed!

I just remembered another DVD release for both The H-Man and Battle in Outer Space: Vintage Sci-Fi 6 Movie Collection by Mill Creek Entertainment. I think it came out at the same time as the DVD collection from the same company that had Mothra on it, Sci-Fi Creature Classics.

One question: the version of Mothra on Sci-Fi Creature Classics was dubbed only (I think). Were the versions of The H-Man and Battle in Outer Space on Vintage Sci-Fi 6 Movie Collection also dubbed-only versions as well? If all three of them were, I think this should be mentioned, as all of the other three releases for these three films were both subtitled and dubbed.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:19 pm Thanks! Very well done indeed!

I just remembered another DVD release for both The H-Man and Battle in Outer Space: Vintage Sci-Fi 6 Movie Collection by Mill Creek Entertainment. I think it came out at the same time as the DVD collection from the same company that had Mothra on it, Sci-Fi Creature Classics.

One question: the version of Mothra on Sci-Fi Creature Classics was dubbed only (I think). Were the versions of The H-Man and Battle in Outer Space on Vintage Sci-Fi 6 Movie Collection also dubbed-only versions as well? If all three of them were, I think this should be mentioned, as all of the other three releases for these three films were both subtitled and dubbed.
With either set, I am not sure if the Toho films were dubbed-only actually.
고질라

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:04 pm Also...Kraken got Ebirah, Hedorah, and Gigan in 2014, then in 2019 Criterion was able to secure them for their Box Set...implying a 5 year license.

They got The Return of Godzilla in 2016...so in theory, if that plays out like Ebirah/Hedorah/Gigan...then that film too might be up for grabs soon...and in a release year for a big new Godzilla movie.
Which makes it weirder if Sony allowed their GvKG and G&B titles to expire not long before they could've secured the former pair and had the complete Heisei collection at their disposal.

Kraken's RoG release was decent. I mean, obviously not a sleek new 4K transfer or loaded with special features, but given the fact that the film had long since disappeared off of official releases (and never available in its original RoG cut), I think we all should've been happy with it. RoG wasn't announced to be part of Toho's 4K restoration project so there won't be an big upgrade to the movie itself, but if a company can get some special features (newly commissioned or ports from Toho's release), that's a win.
고질라

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Tohosaurus wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:04 pm Also...Kraken got Ebirah, Hedorah, and Gigan in 2014, then in 2019 Criterion was able to secure them for their Box Set...implying a 5 year license.

Which makes it weirder if Sony allowed their GvKG and G&B titles to expire not long before they could've secured the former pair and had the complete Heisei collection at their disposal.

Kraken's RoG release was decent. I mean, obviously not a sleek new 4K transfer or loaded with special features, but given the fact that the film had long since disappeared off of official releases (and never available in its original RoG cut), I think we all should've been happy with it. RoG wasn't announced to be part of Toho's 4K restoration project so there won't be an big upgrade to the movie itself, but if a company can get some special features (newly commissioned or ports from Toho's release), that's a win.
Considering that we are getting 8 4K restorations within this current year...it certainly seems like this isn't something that will take 10 years for them to get every film. If the response continues to be positive to what they are doing, we can easily see more 4K restorations announced. Hell, for all we know, they already have an internal timeline and intention to complete them all in the next 2-3 years, and certainly the films of the 80s, 90, and 00s won't need as much robust restoration work as the somewhat mangled and poorly preserved films of the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

Post by Tohosaurus »

Added in 2 minutes 27 seconds:
Chrispy_G wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:32 pm
Tohosaurus wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm

Considering that we are getting 8 4K restorations within this current year...it certainly seems like this isn't something that will take 10 years for them to get every film. If the response continues to be positive to what they are doing, we can easily see more 4K restorations announced. Hell, for all we know, they already have an internal timeline and intention to complete them all in the next 2-3 years, and certainly the films of the 80s, 90, and 00s won't need as much robust restoration work as the somewhat mangled and poorly preserved films of the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
I just hope that keeps up. We'll have to see how Godzilla and King Kong vs Godzilla do on 4K Blu-ray in Japan.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
고질라

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Tohosaurus wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm I just hope that keeps up. We'll have to see how Godzilla and King Kong vs Godzilla do on 4K Blu-ray in Japan.
Yeah...I mean, it is interesting. On ONE hand, you would think/hope that modern restorations of all of the films that are part of such a big and ongoing property would have value to them entirely outside of the monetary side. Like, just for the 'film history' aspect, with no thought of reward, you would hope Toho would say "We should do this for posterity". Even if it is just 10% of the driving interest...you hope on some base level that is a contributing factor.

Beyond that...when TV channels and stations are looking for native 4K content to broadcast, classic popular films have value. There was even a quote from one exec in one of those early articles about the 4K stuff...paraphrasing here: "A TV show made in HD cannot be 4K, Godzilla can be 4K"

So...2nd layer beyond "We should do this because we just should" is "We can broadcast these films and hopefully get big ratings and ad revenue"....so on THAT level, we should be hoping that all of these 4K broadcasts are as successful as possible.

Next step would be these home market releases of the 4K restorations. This was something we might have not seen happen. They might have only seen these as broadcast opportunities. BUT...now that they are also putting them out on disc in Japan, we have to also hope that they sell as well as possible. Beyond that, it is possible that these restorations provide new international licensing value for the brand.

The more successful the broadcasts are, and the more successful the disc releases are...the less we will have to fall back on the general "Toho please just do this out of the kindness of your heart for the history of cinema" angle.

Some companies may claim to do some stuff purely for selfless love of film history, but at the end of the day....being able to make money off of time/money consuming efforts like these are what REALLY matters.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 am
Tohosaurus wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm I just hope that keeps up. We'll have to see how Godzilla and King Kong vs Godzilla do on 4K Blu-ray in Japan.
Yeah...I mean, it is interesting. On ONE hand, you would think/hope that modern restorations of all of the films that are part of such a big and ongoing property would have value to them entirely outside of the monetary side. Like, just for the 'film history' aspect, with no thought of reward, you would hope Toho would say "We should do this for posterity". Even if it is just 10% of the driving interest...you hope on some base level that is a contributing factor.

Beyond that...when TV channels and stations are looking for native 4K content to broadcast, classic popular films have value. There was even a quote from one exec in one of those early articles about the 4K stuff...paraphrasing here: "A TV show made in HD cannot be 4K, Godzilla can be 4K"

So...2nd layer beyond "We should do this because we just should" is "We can broadcast these films and hopefully get big ratings and ad revenue"....so on THAT level, we should be hoping that all of these 4K broadcasts are as successful as possible.

Next step would be these home market releases of the 4K restorations. This was something we might have not seen happen. They might have only seen these as broadcast opportunities. BUT...now that they are also putting them out on disc in Japan, we have to also hope that they sell as well as possible. Beyond that, it is possible that these restorations provide new international licensing value for the brand.

The more successful the broadcasts are, and the more successful the disc releases are...the less we will have to fall back on the general "Toho please just do this out of the kindness of your heart for the history of cinema" angle.

Some companies may claim to do some stuff purely for selfless love of film history, but at the end of the day....being able to make money off of time/money consuming efforts like these are what REALLY matters.
Yeah I think there's a decent chance most/all Toho Godzilla films get a 4K transfer at some point. My concern more is what the chances are of that happening for home video. Toho may have announced eight films for this initial round but I don't believe they ever confirmed they intended to put all on disc (initially we didn't even know if ANY would come to disc). I am sure they would like to, of course, but if initial sales of Godzilla and King Kong vs Godzilla don't inspire enough confidence, then other movies' chances may evaporate.

I feel like Toho would've benefited from allowing other companies to do 4K restorations of particular titles with the agreement that the transfer becomes Toho's once the license ends, meaning part of the licensing agreement is effectively outsourcing the restoration. Certain distributors can't afford to do this, but some could. But Toho likes to keep that kind of thing in-house, so here we are.

If Biollante is in fact available to license now and Miramax doesn't have it anymore, that would be a 4K transfer I would love to see on 4K Blu-ray once it's (hopefully) available in Japan and Toho would allow it during licensing negotiations.
고질라

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Yeah....ultimately 4K Discs or Blu Rays sourced from the 4K restorations is what I personally care about most. I want to OWN these movies in their best condition before physical media spirals into such a niche that the hope disappears completely.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:47 pm Yeah....ultimately 4K Discs or Blu Rays sourced from the 4K restorations is what I personally care about most. I want to OWN these movies in their best condition before physical media spirals into such a niche that the hope disappears completely.
This x10.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Just found a few things that need fixing:

*The Mysterians was in the Tokyo Shock triple-feature box set (which, btw, was named Toho Pack) along with Varan and Matango.
Also, it should say on the info for the last two films "...triple-feature "Toho Pack" box set... . Same thing for the info on the first film, once it's added in.
*It should also be mentioned in the entries on Rebirth of Mothra and Rebirth of Mothra II that The Toho Godzilla Collection Vol. 1 is out of print as well.
*The entry on Godzilla vs. Biollante should mention that the Echo Bridge DVD and Blu-ray releases of it are out of print, too.

Next, two questions:

*Is the English-language title in Japan for Ringu 0 actually supposed to be Ringu 0: Birthday? If so, this should be fixed here.
*Isn't the English-language title for the third film in the Godzilla anime trilogy supposed to be Godzilla: The Planet Eater? If so, this needs to be fixed, too.

Thanks!
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:24 pm Just found a few things that need fixing:

*The Mysterians was in the Tokyo Shock triple-feature box set (which, btw, was named Toho Pack) along with Varan and Matango.
Also, it should say on the info for the last two films "...triple-feature "Toho Pack" box set... . Same thing for the info on the first film, once it's added in.
*It should also be mentioned in the entries on Rebirth of Mothra and Rebirth of Mothra II that The Toho Godzilla Collection Vol. 1 is out of print as well.
*The entry on Godzilla vs. Biollante should mention that the Echo Bridge DVD and Blu-ray releases of it are out of print, too.

Next, two questions:

*Is the English-language title in Japan for Ringu 0 actually supposed to be Ringu 0: Birthday? If so, this should be fixed here.
*Isn't the English-language title for the third film in the Godzilla anime trilogy supposed to be Godzilla: The Planet Eater? If so, this needs to be fixed, too.

Thanks!
I have the Toho Pack titles updated, as well as Toho Godzilla Collection Vol 1 titles. Planet Eater is updated too.

Echo Bridge didn't have the most recent release for Biollante (Lionsgate did) and since the EB release technically preceded the most recent release (even if the Lionsgate release was basically just a reissue of EB's - down to the artwork) I don't want to open up the can of worms around previous releases. Similarly, I only want to focus on currently active formats, so VHS or HD DVD releases aren't mentioned either (like mentioning the Godzilla 2000 VHS or Godzilla vs Biollante laserdisc). As far as I know, Ringu 0 was the original title for that movie in the US and I believe the Arrow set also called it simply Ringu 0, so I'll leave it like that for now.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tohosaurus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:46 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:24 pm Just found a few things that need fixing:

Next, two questions:

Thanks!
I have the Toho Pack titles updated, as well as Toho Godzilla Collection Vol 1 titles. Planet Eater is updated too.

Echo Bridge didn't have the most recent release for Biollante (Lionsgate did) and since the EB release technically preceded the most recent release (even if the Lionsgate release was basically just a reissue of EB's - down to the artwork) I don't want to open up the can of worms around previous releases. Similarly, I only want to focus on currently active formats, so VHS or HD DVD releases aren't mentioned either (like mentioning the Godzilla 2000 VHS or Godzilla vs Biollante laserdisc). As far as I know, Ringu 0 was the original title for that movie in the US and I believe the Arrow set also called it simply Ringu 0, so I'll leave it like that for now.
Thanks for your help! Just a few more I noticed now:

*"Toho Pack" is missing the quotation marks on its right side on all three films that mention it and it should be called a box set, i.e., "triple-feature "Toho Pack" box set".

*Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla should say "...or Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla/Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla double-feature Blu-ray." You forgot to mention that part.

*On Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, Rebirth of Mothra and Rebirth of Mothra II it should say "The DVD set entitled "The Toho Godzilla Collection Vol. 1" is out of print."

*I recently saw in my local FYE that both DVD volumes of The Toho Godzilla Collection are available in a box set as well. I'll get the title of it for you if they still have it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.