Guide to Toho Film/TV Distributors

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Guide to Toho Film Distributors

Post by Tohosaurus »

Made some updates! Still need to go through a lot of the less popular movies here to confirm their availability these days.
Chrispy_G wrote:Wow, very exciting and interesting. Thanks for digging up that info!

So basically, they won't be giving up/losing any of those rights any time soon.

Sony has been bullish on the 4K front, really embracing the format and releasing a ton of titles, old and new, on 4K Disc. In 2004 a lot of titles they released on DVD had the '50 Year Anniversary' band across the top of the case. Godzilla 2014 and the 60 year anniversary pushed them(as well as Universal and Kraken) to release their titles onto Blu Ray, I wonder if Godzilla: King of the Monsters and the 65 year anniversary could push them to give their titles 4K releases or upgraded/collectors edition new Blu Ray releases.

King of the Monsters, the 65 year anniversary, and Godzilla vs Kong are certainly going to represent a bigger push into the mainstream/more sustained mainstream attention for the character than the 2014 film did alone. That was one film attempting to relaunch what had been a dead brand for a decade. Now, Godzilla is very much back in full force with two big blockbuster releases guaranteed in a 2 year stretch.
They definitely have, although it might be more likely that they'd do a 4K version on streaming platforms rather than put it out on 4K Blu in a world shifting away from non-streaming.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I doubt Sony will do 4K transfers of any of the Godzilla films before Toho does.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

UltramanGoji wrote:I doubt Sony will do 4K transfers of any of the Godzilla films before Toho does.
Can they, even? I don't know that Toho would even allow it before they put out their own.
고질라

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Tohosaurus wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I doubt Sony will do 4K transfers of any of the Godzilla films before Toho does.
Can they, even? I don't know that Toho would even allow it before they put out their own.
No, which is why I was doubting Sony doing any transfers.

MechaMinya
Yojimbo

Post by MechaMinya »

Is there any intel on a U.S. Blu-ray release of the 2017/2018 Godzilla anime films? I am hoping that someone like Funimation will release all three as a boxed set. The again, Netflix is involved. Does Netflix have any history or releasing their in-house titles on Blu-ray?
Last edited by MechaMinya on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

MechaMinya wrote:Is there any intel on a U.S. Blu-ray release of the 2017/2018 Godzilla anime films? I am hoping that someone like Funimation will release all three as a boxed set. The again, Netflix is involved. Does Netflix have any history or releasing their in-house titles on Blu-ray?
So far none of their original films have seen a physical release, as far as I am aware of. Some of their shows have, but from what I understand they are bare bones.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Netflix presumably only have streaming rights, anyway. They’re not *their* films, so Netflix doesn’t have a say in the matter. Their may be something in their contract that forbids any home releases being ‘allowed’ before a certain date, but we don’t have any of that information.

For the record, Netflix has released the first season of Stranger Things on BD/DVD, but I don’t think that applies to anything here. As far as I know, they haven’t released any of their original films on home video (yet).
Last edited by Goji on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

An interesting test will be Cloverfield Paradox, as it's the most well known movie to become a Netflix original. If even that doesn't go to DVD/Blu-ray, well.
고질라

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

The Godzilla anime movies might be released by VIZ Media, since they're also releasing the Castlevania anime.
https://www.destructoid.com/netflix-s-c ... 3776.phtml
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Part of me would prefer that they wait until late 2019....assuming Planet Eater will hit Netflix in January of 2019.....and simply release a set that contains the entire trilogy.

It would be truly epic if 2019 saw the release or re-release of EVERY Godzilla film on Blu Ray in North America....in the form of Box Sets and Collector's Editions.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Is there any reason in particular why no one has released The Human Vapor and The Secret of the Telegian on DVD subbed?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Is there any reason in particular why no one has released The Human Vapor and The Secret of the Telegian on DVD subbed?
Lack of general interest, unfortunately. Only a special label like Criterion or Arrow would pick them up, I'd say. They've got no name recognition and are pretty obscure movies.

I hope the inevitable Showa Godzilla set goes well enough for Criterion that they release some of these other Toho films.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Is there any reason in particular why no one has released The Human Vapor and The Secret of the Telegian on DVD subbed?
Lack of general interest, unfortunately. Only a special label like Criterion or Arrow would pick them up, I'd say. They've got no name recognition and are pretty obscure movies.

I hope the inevitable Showa Godzilla set goes well enough for Criterion that they release some of these other Toho films.
Um... didn't we already have this discussion? I just got a notification saying this was a new post.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

Um... didn't we already have this discussion? I just got a notification saying this was a new post.
A few posts from before the sever downtime were deleted.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Those past few posts are now non-canon.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

We're in the VS Toho Film Distributors timeline now.
MikeSTZillak wrote:The Godzilla anime movies might be released by VIZ Media, since they're also releasing the Castlevania anime.
https://www.destructoid.com/netflix-s-c ... 3776.phtml
This is interesting; I wasn't aware of third-party companies releasing Netflix originals (or "originals," in Godzilla's case). Of course, Castlevania is still a series and not a movie, but it's not entirely clear how Netflix thinks of the anime trilogy -- the way the first one was listed suggested they were thinking of it as a series, but then the second one has been listed separately and seemingly treated as a movie. In any case, though, this does at least suggest someone might go for a disc release.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

From Astounding Beyond Belief on Tumblr -
The Godzilla Series: Who Owns What in the United States

(as of 11/5/18)

Universal: Godzilla (1954); Godzilla Raids Again; King Kong vs. Godzilla; Mothra vs. Godzilla; Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster; Invasion of Astro-Monster; All Monsters Attack; Terror of Mechagodzilla

Criterion: Currently streaming all of Universal’s Godzilla films on Starz except King Kong vs. Godzilla, plus Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Fans anticipate a box set in 2019, but nothing’s official yet.

Section23: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep; Godzilla vs. Hedorah; Godzilla vs. Gigan; The Return of Godzilla

Miramax: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Sony: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah; Godzilla vs. Mothra; Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II; Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla; Godzilla vs. Destoroyah; Godzilla (1998); Godzilla 2000: Millennium; Godzilla vs. Megaguirus; Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack; Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla; Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.; Godzilla: Final Wars; Shin Godzilla

Warner Bros.: Godzilla (2014); Godzilla: King of the Monsters; Godzilla vs. Kong

Netflix: Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters; Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle; Godzilla: The Planet Eater
http://astoundingbeyondbelief.tumblr.co ... the-united

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

tbeasley wrote:From Astounding Beyond Belief on Tumblr -
The Godzilla Series: Who Owns What in the United States

(as of 11/5/18)

Universal: Godzilla (1954); Godzilla Raids Again; King Kong vs. Godzilla; Mothra vs. Godzilla; Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster; Invasion of Astro-Monster; All Monsters Attack; Terror of Mechagodzilla

Criterion: Currently streaming all of Universal’s Godzilla films on Starz except King Kong vs. Godzilla, plus Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Fans anticipate a box set in 2019, but nothing’s official yet.

Section23: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep; Godzilla vs. Hedorah; Godzilla vs. Gigan; The Return of Godzilla

Miramax: Godzilla vs. Biollante

Sony: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah; Godzilla vs. Mothra; Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II; Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla; Godzilla vs. Destoroyah; Godzilla (1998); Godzilla 2000: Millennium; Godzilla vs. Megaguirus; Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack; Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla; Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.; Godzilla: Final Wars; Shin Godzilla

Warner Bros.: Godzilla (2014); Godzilla: King of the Monsters; Godzilla vs. Kong

Netflix: Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters; Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle; Godzilla: The Planet Eater
http://astoundingbeyondbelief.tumblr.co ... the-united

Does Universal actually have the former Classic Media batch (via Dreamworks acquiring Classic Media, and Dreamworks subsequently being acquired by Universal), or did they revert to Toho, with Criterion re-licensing them from Toho?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Joseph Goodman wrote:Does Universal actually have the former Classic Media batch (via Dreamworks acquiring Classic Media, and Dreamworks subsequently being acquired by Universal)
I believe this is the case.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Tohosaurus wrote: An interesting test will be Cloverfield Paradox, as it's the most well known movie to become a Netflix original. If even that doesn't go to DVD/Blu-ray, well.
Now that Cloverfield Paradox is apparently going to Blu, I suppose that's something!
고질라