Godzilla DVD re-releases

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Starsteam
Keizer

Re: Godzilla DVD re-releases

Post by Starsteam »

Either Midtown has a mistaken pre-order or Classic Media is re-releasing Terror of Mechagodzilla in September
http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.a ... +T_1370621

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Another Walmart exclusive bundle- King of the Monsters and Raids Again.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/42423479

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

I've seen Terror of Mechagodzilla at least a hundred times, it seems, but the original GvsMG only once from a Blockbuster. I remember it being wicked awesome, so it saddens and confuses me how much attention the sequel gets over the original, release-wise. I also really missed out while the DVD was still in print, and have to watch the Amazon page like a hawk. I still think a complete rerelease would actually do it justice.
Monsters are the real people.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's not really about one getting more 'attention' than the other; it's that Classic Media has consistently kept their Godzilla releases in print for almost 9 years now, while Sony's license for the first film ran out, and it simply hasn't been picked up by another distributer yet (shockingly enough. You wouldn't expect such a popular and well regarded Godzilla film to sit around for this long with the character being as popular as he is at the moment).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

Any word on whether or not Kraken might be releasing Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla '74 ever? Those are the only Sony Showa titles that they haven't released yet IIRC.

On a slightly different note I think it'd be helpful if there was a comprehensive guide to the DVD/Blu Ray releases out there, covering some of the better known and more obscure releases and their particular idiosyncrasies (i.e. dubtitles, missing lines, reconstruction issues, print issues, etc). It'd be a big undertaking, but would be invaluable for collectors.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

MustafaDaisenso wrote:Any word on whether or not Kraken might be releasing Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla '74 ever? Those are the only Sony Showa titles that they haven't released yet IIRC.

On a slightly different note I think it'd be helpful if there was a comprehensive guide to the DVD/Blu Ray releases out there, covering some of the better known and more obscure releases and their particular idiosyncrasies (i.e. dubtitles, missing lines, reconstruction issues, print issues, etc). It'd be a big undertaking, but would be invaluable for collectors.
Last we heard from kpa Toho was in negotiates with a distributor for those films. No update lately though.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Godzilla21 wrote:
MustafaDaisenso wrote:Any word on whether or not Kraken might be releasing Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla '74 ever? Those are the only Sony Showa titles that they haven't released yet IIRC.

Last we heard from kpa Toho was in negotiates with a distributor for those films. No update lately though.
If that's true than I hope it happens soon, I haven't seen my favorite Godzilla movie in 8 years.
I'd love to see Classic Media release the rest of the Showa films, I love the commentary tracks so much.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Toho is re-releasing all 30 Godzilla movies to DVD and Blu-ray again, this time with new cover art (and a strange color code), and Shin Godzilla promo items such as stickers and postcards.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Starsteam wrote:Toho is re-releasing all 30 Godzilla movies to DVD and Blu-ray again, this time with new cover art (and a strange color code), and Shin Godzilla promo items such as stickers and postcards.
https://36.media.tumblr.com/a4ed88ccd5c ... 1_1280.jpg
Minor correction: These will be DVD only, except for G2014.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

G-Matt wrote:
Starsteam wrote:Toho is re-releasing all 30 Godzilla movies to DVD and Blu-ray again, this time with new cover art (and a strange color code), and Shin Godzilla promo items such as stickers and postcards.
Yeah, forgot to mention that. Bit strange they're not doing it for all the blu-rays (unless they're trying to take the current BDs off the market to replace with those 4K transfers they're supposedly working on?)

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Starsteam wrote:
G-Matt wrote:
Yeah, forgot to mention that. Bit strange they're not doing it for all the blu-rays (unless they're trying to take the current BDs off the market to replace with those 4K transfers they're supposedly working on?)
Yeah, I wondered the same thing myself when I first heard this news. I sure would like to hear some news regarding the whole 4K thing.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I guess they want to keep these in Region 2 for Japan only. Betcha too many nonjapanese fans were hassling Toho about no english dubs for their blu-rays releases.

Man of Steel
Gotengo Officer

Post by Man of Steel »

And they still won't release the films on DVD to the UK. Lovely. Fantastic. Fan-dabby-dozy.
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm not really surprised these are Japan only. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but DVDs in general are going way down so it's highly unlikely we'll ever get a complete set of all the films outside Japan. But those covers are cool.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm not really surprised these are Japan only. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but DVDs in general are going way down so it's highly unlikely we'll ever get a complete set of all the films outside Japan. But those covers are cool.
It's downright impossible that we'll ever get a complete set of every Godzilla film, Toho can release such a set in Japan because they own all the disturbution rights. over here the rights for the disturbution of G movies are held by many different companies or something like that, it's just simply impossible for such a set to ever be made over here.
Those would make some good TK avatars.
Godzilla