Is it "Worth It" to Collect VHS Tapes?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Re: Is it "Worth It" to Collect VHS Tapes?

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I see nothing wrong with collecting vhs tapes. I have a bunch still. Godzilla 1985 aside, (praying one day it gets a release.) I collected some such as kkvsg for the box art alone. And VHS's have a nostalgic feel to them for me anyways. The lousy picture and audio is kind of warming to me. I actully watch my recorded godzilla vs the sea monster with the titra dub over the international dvd cause i cant stand that version. Was the titra dub released on vhs?

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

If I see any Godzilla on VHS I'll usually snatch it up just because. I can't help it.

I'm not an old man (I'm 26) but that makes me old enough to enjoy VHS quality releases for nostalgic value.

Somewhere I have a boot of the MST3K version of Godzilla vs The Sea Monster, I need to see if it has the "THE END" on it.
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Stevo_1985 wrote: I collected some such as kkvsg for the box art alone. And VHS's have a nostalgic feel to them for me anyways. The lousy picture and audio is kind of warming to me.
I know exactly what you mean!
I actully watch my recorded godzilla vs the sea monster with the titra dub over the international dvd cause i cant stand that version. Was the titra dub released on vhs?
Actually, the Titra dub/Walter-Reade version of the movie (known to most people as GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER) is the only version that was released here before Sony's DVD release of the international version; originally titled EBIRAH HORROR OF THE DEEP.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Oh cool. Ill have to keep my eye out for a vhs copy. Maybe I'll check ebay. My recorderd version was actually from tnt's monster vision mash. I wish they still did stuff like that. Never see big g on tv anymore.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

Joe Bob Briggs Monster Vision was the shit!

http://youtu.be/cOxzA8oMq_s

Love how he says 1956 instead of 54.
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

Stevo_1985 wrote:Oh cool. Ill have to keep my eye out for a vhs copy. Maybe I'll check ebay. My recorderd version was actually from tnt's monster vision mash. I wish they still did stuff like that. Never see big g on tv anymore.
instead we get GINO on Syfy (the channel that had one of the best Godzilla summer marathon since since monstervision back when it was the Sci-Fi channel....at least it was awesome in my book) and on AMC.
Rest in Peace Victoria

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

schvanzbass wrote:If I see any Godzilla on VHS I'll usually snatch it up just because. I can't help it.

I'm not an old man (I'm 26) but that makes me old enough to enjoy VHS quality releases for nostalgic value.

Somewhere I have a boot of the MST3K version of Godzilla vs The Sea Monster, I need to see if it has the "THE END" on it.
Im 27 and i still enjoy it as well. I have the same problem as well lol, i usually fall victim at flea markets and such, if i see a g vhs, t shirt you name it i usually nab it. Ill be on hoarders soon enough, and amazingly my wife puts up with it.
GojirO wrote:
instead we get GINO on Syfy (the channel that had one of the best Godzilla summer marathon since since monstervision back when it was the Sci-Fi channel....at least it was awesome in my book) and on AMC.
I know... Going through the guide ill see godzilla, check info, only to be dissapointed..

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
GojirO wrote:
I know... Going through the guide ill see godzilla, check info, only to be dissapointed..
Syfy should one day have a whole Godzilla Marathon, like a whole weekend of Godzilla instead of their SyFy Original movies (which are HIGHLY unoriginal I might add) and NO GINO! Just some old fashioned Godzilla movies from all three eras.
Rest in Peace Victoria

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

GojirO wrote:
Syfy should one day have a whole Godzilla Marathon, like a whole weekend of Godzilla instead of their SyFy Original movies (which are HIGHLY unoriginal I might add) and NO GINO! Just some old fashioned Godzilla movies from all three eras.

Why they changed sci fi syfy is questionable in itself. But i think it corellates with the crap "original" movies such as snowmageddon and metal twister.. Yeti.. Lol they arent a terrible funny, just terrible. Play some old toho flicks. I watch svengoolie on metv saturday nights, not sure if thats a national channel but he played king kong escapes a few weeks ago. I lit up like a griswold family christmas tree.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

^HA! that's funny

and yeah they are just....god.....awful
Rest in Peace Victoria

StriderSubzero
Monsterland Worker

Post by StriderSubzero »

So, the general consensus regarding alternate prints is that there aren't any on VHS other than 1980s releases with alternate title cards? Are all the Showa releases in the US using the Titra/AIP dubs?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

MustafaDaisenso wrote:On a slightly different note, some of the VHS edition contain alternate title cards/credits for the American and International editions that haven't been put on DVD (like Gigantis, Gigan, Megalon, and others). Also, VHSs have preserved what now amount to 'lost editions' (the titra dubs for Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Smog Monster) and therefore could be valuable for fan restorations of these versions.
I have purged my media library of almost all VHS tapes except for Toho Films. If I didn't already have them, I may not actively seek them out, but the reasons I am keeping them is mostly because of what MustafaDaisenso stated above. I have successfully transferred all my Toho VHS to digital format, however I'll hang on to my VHS tapes for as long as I can. Also thanks to Tamura about the advice to store them with the Spool Up, I'll have to check my tapes to make sure they are just so.

Also if anyone is interested, I have an extra copy of HBO G vs Biollante as well as Godzilla vs Gigan. Gigan may not have any appeal since it is esseintially the same as the sony DVD, but I figured Biollante might since it now is the only way to see the film with English Title Card & Credits (and w/o burnt in japanese text) . I had these on ebay for almost a month, with no takers. I am willing to basically give these away, anyone interested will just have to pay shipping however, just PM me.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I collect VHS tapes for two reasons:

1. To watch different versions of the same film.

2. For the awesome and extremely weird artwork.

Plus, it reminds me of a time when these tapes were all the knowledge one had about Godzilla or any monster movie for that matter.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Eh its a personally choice thing. If you like the covers and have the space for them why not. There are a few I want to get for nostalgia's sake like the Sandy Frank gamera films and some specific godzilla vhs covers. I did get the Godzilla vs Gigan/Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla double feature for like $0.25 since the library by me was selling off its vhs tapes. Some people are trying to scam them as collectibles tough. I've seen a Gamera vs Barugon vhs going for $75 on ebay.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

A few months ago I moved out of my old house and decided to sell most my old Godzilla VHS tapes on eBay.

I sold Godzilla: KOTM, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante.

I kept Godzilla Raids Again (my first ever Godzilla VHS, I went apeshit when I got this for Christmas when I was a kid), King Kong vs. Godzilla, and Godzilla 1985. I felt that was a good core to keep.

I am hoping they release Blu Ray editions of some of these films next year!

BTW I ended up selling all those for $39.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

StriderSubzero
Monsterland Worker

Post by StriderSubzero »

gigan72 wrote:^ I would've waited until any blue ray releases were official before I sold those.
Unless he has the DVDs

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

^ A few of those he sold contain dubs (Son Of & Sea Monster) & alternate credit sequences (Biollante) that dont exist on DVD
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

If I had a converter then I would transfer some of my old VHS tapes. If I see a Godzilla VHS at a flea market or thrift store, I'll bay the .25 - $3 it might cost. Why not? They look good on a shelf.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

StriderSubzero wrote:
gigan72 wrote:^ I would've waited until any blue ray releases were official before I sold those.
Unless he has the DVDs
I actually only have Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, Godzilla x Mechagodzilla, Godzilla Tokyo SOS, and Finals Wars on DVD.

I have Godzilla 1954, Destroy all Monsters, and Godzilla vs. Biollante on Blu Ray.

To be honest I don't even have a VHS player anymore. And I don't plan to ever have one again so those 3 that I kept for VHS are for nostalgia purposes only. For the last couple years I have been scouring eBay/Amazon taking a look at Godzilla DVD's that I want to purchase, but I haven't bought any in anticipation of some Blu Ray releases next year. If that does not come to pass I'll load up my collection again on DVD.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Someone is selling a bunch of Godzilla and Gamera VHS tapes for $30 on ebay. 7 people already bid on it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-TOHO-GODZI ... 3f27f53232