Is it "Worth It" to Collect VHS Tapes?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Re: Is it "Worth It" to Collect VHS Tapes?

Post by Servanov »

I think it is. For me, I really collect Laserdisc and 35mm stuff over VHS, although I do collect some VHS. I think it's worth it for a couple of reasons.

1. May be the only way to watch certain versions, dubs, or the only way to watch a movie period. Example: (Obviously) Godzilla 1985, many of the Titra dubs have only been on VHS/LD.

2.Cover art. In many cases, this is why I choose LD over VHS, but the VHS and LD covers of movies look much better than most DVD and Blu-Ray covers. Example: Pretty much any Star Wars VHS Cover vs. the DVD and BD covers.

3. Collectors item. I collect VHS not because of higher quality (for obvious reasons). They're just cool to have. Modern Blu-Rays are FAR superior to any VHS or LD releases. Example: Criterion LD of King Kong (1933). Or any Criterion LD.

4. Nostalgia. I wasn't around in the age of VHS, but I still watched a VHS or two when I was a kid (I'm not THAT young). So, whenever I pop in a VHS, especially when it's one I watched as a kid, it brings back a nostalgic feel. Example: For me personally, I always watched the 2002 Scooby- Doo on VHS as a kid. So even though its available on Netflix and Blu-Ray in HD. I can only watch that on full screen VHS. I also have that with Toy Story and Toy Story 2. I know that's a wired example, I'm just tying to give examples of how VHS can be nostalgic.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Servanov wrote: 1. May be the only way to watch certain versions, dubs, or the only way to watch a movie period. Example: (Obviously) Godzilla 1985, many of the Titra dubs have only been on VHS/LD.
This is slowly becoming obsolete with all the restorations and reconstructions being created in the fandom.

Off the top of my head:

- Destroy All Monsters AIP Dub
- Sea Monster's Titra Dub
- Godzilla 1985
- Monster Zero International

are all available in HD to download in the Fan Art/Music/Movies/Games section of the forum.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

I used to have a VHS version of Godzilla VS. The Smog Monster (that I bought from ToysRus when I was about 8 or 9) in which the English dubs pronounced Hedorah "HeeDruh" I have seen it since on DVD but not the same version. I don't know what ever happened to that tape but I wish I still had it...if only for the nostalgia if nothing else.
Dedicated To Darkness..

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

UltramanGoji wrote: - Monster Zero International
There's only one dub for Monster Zero, but there are various English "versions" (sort of).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Goji wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote: - Monster Zero International
There's only one dub for Monster Zero, but there are various English "versions" (sort of).
Yup. Was referring to the Red Menace Reconstruction which uses that title.