GODZILLA- MILLENNIUM SERIES DVD Box Set from Madman

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
kpa
G-Grasper

GODZILLA- MILLENNIUM SERIES DVD Box Set from Madman

Post by kpa »

The Australian label Madman Entertainment is releasing a R4 DVD set of the six Millennium Godzilla films...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... d-box-set/

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: GODZILLA- MILLENNIUM SERIES DVD Box Set from Madman

Post by gatorzilla »

kpa wrote:The Australian label Madman Entertainment is releasing a R4 DVD set of the six Millennium Godzilla films...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... d-box-set/
What I am hoping is that this brings us one step closer to a R1 box set of all 6 Millennium Godzilla films.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Hellspawn28 wrote:From what I've seen that the R4 DVD's look no different then the R1 DVD's,
Not exactly. Madman used the Japanese versions of the films so there no English credits or title like the Region 1 DVDs; the R4 DVDs generally have better subtitles than the Sony discs, and there's some nice extras not included on the US releases.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I guess someone in Australia cares more about Godzilla than the American distributors do.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Rody wrote:I guess someone in Australia cares more about Godzilla than the American distributors do.
What makes you say this?

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

gatorzilla wrote:What I am hoping is that this brings us one step closer to a R1 box set of all 6 Millennium Godzilla films.
Why? The Madman Showa and Heisei boxsets have been out for years now, and they certainly haven't "inspired" any R1 companies to do the same...

This is cool for Australians and people with multi-region players, but I'm personally not double-dipping any of these films till they're on Blu.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The R1 Millennium DVD's are dirt cheap anyway. It would probably be cheaper to just buy them individually then hold out for some kind of boxset that will probably never happen.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

smagal
Samurai

Post by smagal »

I really dont know why people buy Region 1 DVD players.
IMHO the only reasonable thing is to buy region-free players.
I'm from Poland and we have Region 2 but almost every DVD player in our stores is Region-free.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

smagal wrote:I really dont know why people buy Region 1 DVD players.
Most People who live in R1 (United States, Canada, Bermuda, U.S. territories) don't usually think about purchasing foreign films & TV shows, thus the reason that 99% of commercially available players in these areas are R1 only, and if they happen to be Region Free they certainly dont advertise it. But for those interested and educated, then YES a region-free player is relatively easy an inexpinsive to purchase online, but your highly unlikely to walk into a B&M store and get one.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

smagal
Samurai

Post by smagal »

I'm on the university and I pay for it so I also buy cheap ones but I know that I must have region-free player ;)
mainly because we dont have much/good Godzilla movies on DVD ;)

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I already own all of the Millennium Series - that I want.

Zero interest in this.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

R E D U N D A N T
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

eggcheese
Yojimbo

Post by eggcheese »

Does anyone know if these DVDs have the accurate subtitles or are they "dubtitles" like most of Sony's releases?
"Oh no, they're getting pissed off!"

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^From what I recall GMK's subs are better than Sony's dubtitles, not sure about the others.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Tamura wrote: What makes you say this?
My apologies for the late response. While I have no idea about video quality, it sounds like these DVDs at least have more extra material to offer, whereas the Sony releases had extremely little.

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

The picture quality on the Sony disks are better. The Madman set uses Toho's old R2 transfers with green push and windowboxing.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

tymon wrote:^From what I recall GMK's subs are better than Sony's dubtitles, not sure about the others.
Correct. The Madman release of GMK contains the (much better) subs seen on Toho's subtitled 35mm print of GMK.
Rockzilla wrote:The picture quality on the Sony disks are better. The Madman set uses Toho's old R2 transfers with green push and windowboxing.
^ This.

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Even though I already own all six Millennium films, I could be persuaded to buy them again if they had some nice extras. The only extra worth mentioning on any of the Region 1 Millennium DVDs is the excellent audio commentary on G2K. The short behind-the-scenes videos on G2K and Final Wars are nice but nothing special. I'd love to see even one of these films get the Classic Media treatment...

Oh, and an upgrade to Blu-ray wouldn't be bad, either.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

@Godzilla14: What? $40 AUD which is I think is 37 USD for 6 Godzilla movies seems perfect me, if not better then the current price of the US releases. About 8-10 for each millennium to about 48 USD before taxes.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Yeah I see that price to be beyond reasonable. It's a bargain.