Definitive Godzilla on Blu-ray List

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Tamura
EDF Instructor

Re: Definitive Godzilla on Blu-ray List

Post by Tamura »

Toho's HD transfers aren't "good enough" or "adequate" by any stretch of the imagination. They look like their DVDs, only bigger in resolution.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Tamura wrote:Toho's HD transfers aren't "good enough" or "adequate" by any stretch of the imagination. They look like their DVDs, only bigger in resolution.
I haven't seen all the Toho Blu-rays, but didn't they at least git rid of the slight yellow tint/muted colors that was present on a lot of their DVDs? Not saying their Blu-rays are good for the format, but thought they at least addressed that from what I have seen even if the colors are pretty weak.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote:Honestly, with the exception of the original film, I don't see companies taking the time and money to remaster the rest of the Godzilla series for blu-ray. They're niche titles that fans are probably going to buy no matter what anyway. To most companies, Toho's HD masters are most likely good enough.
Sony did its own transfers of the Showa films and those were infinitely better than the R2 versions.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Arbok wrote:
Tamura wrote:Toho's HD transfers aren't "good enough" or "adequate" by any stretch of the imagination. They look like their DVDs, only bigger in resolution.
I haven't seen all the Toho Blu-rays, but didn't they at least git rid of the slight yellow tint/muted colors that was present on a lot of their DVDs? Not saying their Blu-rays are good for the format, but thought they at least addressed that from what I have seen even if the colors are pretty weak.
Some movies seem to be taken from completely different elements for the HD transfers, like THE MYSTERIANS, GHIDRAH and WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS. Those show a good deal more shadow detail. But, across all of their product, both DVD and Blu-ray, there's some degree of yellowish or greenish tinting. The color timing is actually a little bit worse on some of their HD transfers, like MEGALON, which is a green-looking HD transfer, while the R2 is just faded or something.

A few like DESTROY ALL MONSTERS have identical color timing compared to the R2s. In DAM, we have a shot of our heroes observing a monitor, then we cut to the monitor, and when we cut back to the same camera angle of the heroes, the color becomes randomly greener. It's like this in both the R2 and the HD. No other copies of the movie do this. I would provide timecodes, but unfortunately my copies of these movies are all at home.

Their GODZILLA VS DESTROYER and GODZILLA 2000 HD versions look terrible. Worst non-upscaled HD transfers I've ever seen. Every color on display is a shade of green.

^Legion, Toho's international versions have been through a continual state of revision over the years to include stuff like added copyright notices, to change the positioning of titles, to add the new Toho logo, etc. Aside from EBIRAH, SOG and GIGAN, plus the Heisei movies and G2K which are the American versions, Sony has released only the international versions in some form or another, most of the time with little ™'s and ®'s added to the title card. I'm sure most of the oddities we see, like the differently positioned end title on HEDORAH and the new Toho logo on GvsMG, are indicative of the materials Toho provided them. Some of the few releases where you can actually see Toho's original international versions are old PAL tapes and the Power Multimedia DVDs.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

We're at a stage in the market where it doesn't matter to me much. In the current state, I think it'd be better for Toho to amp up the video quality if they want to appeal to Blu-Ray collectors.

Or wait until DVD's fade away and then cash in with mediocre releases.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

*updated* the list to include the 3 BRD's from Kraken Releasing this coming May 2014, and April's release of KK vs G on BRD from Universal
Emperor 5353 wrote:if I could have a passable hd release of Godzilla vs Gigan, I'd be more than thrilled..why? Because I am a fan!
Wish: Granted :P
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Qaenos
GPN Volunteer

Post by Qaenos »

I think some members might be interested in the German releases as well. For example, Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster is already out (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Frankenst ... ray/75991/) and Godzilla Raids Again (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Godzilla- ... ray/94722/) and Godzilla Final Wars (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Godzilla- ... ray/94906/) are coming out next month.

Jose_VNS
Ronin

Post by Jose_VNS »

Qaenos wrote:I think some members might be interested in the German releases as well. For example, Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster is already out (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Frankenst ... ray/75991/) and Godzilla Raids Again (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Godzilla- ... ray/94722/) and Godzilla Final Wars (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Godzilla- ... ray/94906/) are coming out next month.
Man, I'm really tempted on that Ghidorah blu-ray but no English subs is really holding me back. :|

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

o.supreme are you going to include Megalon and the DAM reissue since those are on the Horizon?
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I updated the list based on Sony's recent announcements. I also added Megalon (since this is a first time BRD release) from Media Blasters, though I wouldn't hold my breath that they actually release it based on their current estimated date. Since DAM will be a re-release from the same company, I didn't add it. The only reason why I have seperate listings for CM's "Gojira" BRD & Critersions is because I think they were different enough to be called different product. However for anyone thinking of selling their old BRD of DAM in favor of the new one, please read here:http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014 ... s-release/

I totaly plan on keeping my original, as opposed to thsi bare-bones Toho approved re-release.

Also, who'd have thoght we'd see the (*possible) day when more Godzilla films would be available on BRD in North America than in Japan?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

o.supreme wrote:Also, who'd have thoght we'd see the (*possible) day when more Godzilla films would be available on BRD in North America than in Japan?
Actually, Japan already beat us to the punch - they're releasing the rest of the series on Blu-Ray this year. Check out the "Toho Major Release Announcement" thread, and update your list accordingly. ;)

This reminds me, I'll have to attend to my "Best Picture Quality Releases" thread once all these new discs are out...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

-crosses fingers for my bootleg guy to get his hands on the new Toho BRDs when they come out-
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Motorheadbanger
Monsterland Worker

Post by Motorheadbanger »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:-crosses fingers for my bootleg guy to get his hands on the new Toho BRDs when they come out-
Same here.
Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

You wouldn't happen to buy from a fella from Jersey, would you?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Motorheadbanger
Monsterland Worker

omgitsgodzilla wrote:You wouldn't happen to buy from a fella from Jersey, would you?
Hush child, the overlords are watching.
Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Motorheadbanger wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:You wouldn't happen to buy from a fella from Jersey, would you?
Hush child, the overlords are watching.
'Cause they're waiting for me, they're looking for me...

Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Motorheadbanger
Monsterland Worker

omgitsgodzilla wrote:'Cause they're waiting for me, they're looking for me...
Every single night
They're driving me insane
Those men inside my brain
Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

tymon wrote:Actually, Japan already beat us to the punch - they're releasing the rest of the series on Blu-Ray this year. Check out the "Toho Major Release Announcement" thread, and update your list accordingly. ;)
Wow thanks for pointing out this thread. Leave it to Toho to capitalize, but at least all the films are coming out. I'm guessing the first wave of 13 will be identical to the versions released back in 2008/2009, and the other 16 which are new releases will hopefully offer better transfer since the reputation of Toho's previous BRD's isn't the greatest. They've had 5-6 years, hopefully to restore some of the film elements especially of the Showa eras films. I know many fans would be especially interestred to see how these look.

Any word on if other Tho Sci-Fi classics will be released on BRD in conjunction with this? If only these had englsh subs :cry: . I'd definitely pick up the ones that have no prospect of a US release like KKvs G (the japanese version).