The Return of Godzilla / Godzilla 1985 Speculation Thread

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: The Return of Godzilla / Godzilla 1985 Speculation Threa

Post by GigaBowserG »

Saw this post in passing earlier, saying August Ragone called this "Ultimate Edition" to just be a fancy bootleg (looks like someone may've linked it in the comments too?): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Why anyone would even think this is legit is beyond me.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Goji wrote:Why anyone would even think this is legit is beyond me.
Hope and frustration, I wanted it to be, I want a nice Blu Ray of this movie more than any other movie.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Maybe the guy is the lucky owner of that 35mm print that popped up on Craigslist or EBay some time ago and had it scanned. If so that is one expensive bluray :P

EDIT/UPDATE
The Twitter account/website in question has formally identified itself as non-official.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Yes, they revealed they are a fan project. Nothing to see here, unless you're interested in the boot (I'm still questioning their resources, but they've at least caught my attention, but I'd rather give a legit release a little more time).

Since it's against the rules to link bootlegs, I suppose all links to the website or twitter feed should be left off of these threads, even though they aren't selling it yet.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Lmao, it was never even hinted to be official in the first place. Some of you guys assume way too much.

I got a good Blu-ray bootleg of the Japanese version a few weeks ago and I don't really care for the American version enough to own in in HD. I'll pass on this one.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

They're also acting very unprofessional about it. I might have to make a video warning people about this.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

20th Century Boy wrote:Lmao, it was never even hinted to be official in the first place. Some of you guys assume way too much.
It was painfully obvious it wasn't official to begin with, but I can see how people gain false hope due to their "at the studio, on my producer's desk" comment. They were pretending to be a independent licensed distributor (as subtle the comment was), not a group of fans making bootlegs at home. People will read too much into things.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Somebody in the comments section thinks shout factory is going to try and pick up the rights to G85.

I'll give then credit if they pull off what they are trying to do it might be the best release of G85.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

miguelnuva wrote: I'll give then credit if they pull off what they are trying to do it might be the best release of G85.
Because there's so much competition.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

20th Century Boy wrote:
I got a good Blu-ray bootleg of the Japanese version a few weeks ago and I don't really care for the American version enough to own in in HD. I'll pass on this one.
The edited in shots of a pained Raymond Burr make the movie. Your loss.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
miguelnuva wrote: I'll give then credit if they pull off what they are trying to do it might be the best release of G85.
I doubt an official region one release would give us the American cut, international cut and Japanese cut as well as the bouns features mentioned.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

miguelnuva wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:
I doubt an official region one release would give us the American cut, international cut and Japanese cut as well as the bouns features mentioned.
International Cut is just the English audio. Just slap it on the Japanese Echo Bridge style and you're good to go. The only thing it has are the translated credits. That really doesn't alter the film much. They could easily include the audio with some features grabbed from the Japanese release.not sure if there are people willing to do the American version's features. Besides the commercials and other things for Godzilla 1985, who's living from the American release still? Or would there just be commentary? The Japanese side would be interesting to delve into, getting into the 10 year hiatus and the preproduction of the movie itself. Like Concept Art never seen, since even Japan ignores its existence when it comes to print.

Special features for 1985 should really get into the marketing, maybe the Steve Miner attempt alongside the making-of featurette for adapting 1985. Though honestly, it really is tragic that I never had a chance to meet Burr or that he never got to do more films.

I doubt anything I said was realistic for what would be a budget release, unless WB did it and marketed it around Resurgence or 2018.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

The boot I have of the movie has a decent amount of extra stuff with the Japanese version. The American cut they were only able to put on the trailer.

Still not a bad effort from a bootleg copy.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

So they'll be giving these out as free then? LOL.. you know somebody's going to letting Toho know about this... only because they were pretty unprofessional in that response on their website... basically blaming us as fans questioning if it was a bootleg or not. They worded things in a way that confused people initially... so yeah, no, it's their fault.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:They're also acting very unprofessional about it. I might have to make a video warning people about this.
I can assure you that the fanbase doesn't need to be "warned" about a painfully obvious bootleg, Dr. Kain.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I have read the "Addressing Some Questions and Concerns" on the Godzilla1985.com blog. A "fan project" is one thing, there are a lot of them about. Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Editions are very popular. Harmy doesn't sell them, they are available on torrent sites. A true bootlegger is someone who sells what belongs to another is something else. Godzilla 1985 belongs to Toho, and it is up to Toho to license rights.

One issue I have with fan projects is that they often seem to be more about the ego of the creator than any realistic desire to provide something to the fan base. An early announcement risks a C&D letter from Toho's legal representatives. C&Ds usually have the effect of shutting down fan projects and make them unavailable to the community. Then the project creator can say "We had something spectacular to show you, and would have if [insert company name] hadn't sicced its legal dogs on us. It's a shame no one will be able to enjoy our work now." The project creators get some publicity without having anything to show for it. If they have to do it, better to make an announcement when they are ready to launch and let the material flow into the hands of the public before the corporate entity has time to react. Of course, it is easy when we are talking about torrents. When talking about a physical product, there are ways of stopping the cash flow.

The sad thing about this is that, if the features on the Blu-ray are present, it would be undoubtedly be the best Godzilla or kaiju Blu-ray released since Criterion's Godzilla.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Most of the entries at Godzilla1985.com are written by someone named Riggan Rose. I went looking for him and found this written by "Riggen Rose" at https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/992157 , posted five months ago:
I'm working on prepping a project for blu-ray using Sony Vegas Pro 13. My two source videos are different frame rates. The first and most important source vid is running at 23.976 fps. The second video's rate is 29.970 fps. Before I realized the two files were different rates I made a test bluray of the final cut to quality check for editing mistakes. This is when I noticed severe motion blur on my primary footage and realized the source video was running at 23.976 fps. I rendered a new video using 23.976 fps inserting 3-2 pulldown, and it has worked wonders in correcting all the motion blur that I saw with the larger video. However, as expected, the smaller source video that runs at 29.970 is now left with noticeable motion blur even after I set the video to "disable resample" before rendering my final file.

Is there a way to correct this in Vegas? I would like to avoid converting the smaller 29.970 source video if possible. I did try to convert the larger file up to 29.970 so the frame rates of both source vids would match. But the final result left a bit to be desired. Although the motion blur on the larger file improved, it is not as smooth as when I render using 23.976 fps inserting 3-2 pulldown.

The results on the larger file are where I want them. Just need to correct the motion blur of the smaller 29.970 video.
He's likely talking about his source videos for Godzilla 1985 and the International Cut of The Return of Godzilla. It sounds to me like his primary file started life as 24FPS (frames per second), was converted to 30FPS for home video (every third frame is a duplicate of the one before it, making 24 frames into 30 frames), and was converted back to 24FPS (someone's attempt at removing the duplicated frame via what's called a "3:2 pulldown", which may have deleted the wrong frames) before he ever got ahold of it.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It sounds like he's talking about one video file that uses both sources. If they were just the different cuts of the film, he could just leave them in different frame rates. What it sounds like, though, is that material from both is being edited into one video, which would require a consistent frame rate to avoid artifacts like what he's describing. Maybe he's doing something akin to CM's reconstructions of the US versions of Godzilla movies, using a better-quality version of the film for scenes that are identical in both versions. My guess is he's substituting video from the Japanese version for identical scenes in the International version, while reverting to the lesser-quality International source for scenes with different title cards, subtitles and text.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I mean, there aren't really that many supers or location cards in the international version beyond the credits, so I don't know what it is he is (was?) trying to accomplish.