The Return of Godzilla / Godzilla 1985 Speculation Thread

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Return of Godzilla / Godzilla 1985 Speculation Threa

Post by Captain Aktion »

SpanishBulldog63 wrote:Captain, not even a full day back and you're playing the passive-aggressive card. Stop.
I'm sorry, did I break some rule that I'm not aware of? Please point it out to me for my benefit.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
goji1986 wrote:The site in question is undergoing maintenance. Considering that it is now past midnight on January 20, I believe Toho brought the hammer down pretty fast.
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... a4b4f2.jpg

"Maintenance"
BWA HAHAHAHAHA

So who had 1/20 in the betting pool?

Looking at his Twitter account (@Godzilla1985HD), the cease-and-desist was mentioned to him on 1/9, a screen capture of the C&D on his website was tweeted to him on 1/15, and a screen capture of his foul-mouthed reply to the C&D was tweeted on 01/18. I'm putting his Twitter account on deathwatch, waiting for a tirade to start.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

G1985 wrote:BWA HAHAHAHAHA

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/i ... l_7487.gif

So who had 1/20 in the betting pool?

Looking at his Twitter account (@Godzilla1985HD), the cease-and-desist was mentioned to him on 1/9, a screen capture of the C&D on his website was tweeted to him on 1/15, and a screen capture of his foul-mouthed reply to the C&D was tweeted on 01/18. I'm putting his Twitter account on deathwatch, waiting for a tirade to start.
Since you bring it up - weren't there more tweets on their Twitter account? I only see two, from the 7th and 8th of earlier this month. Might be happening already.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Captain Aktion wrote:It's odd to me that there's this much drama over a site promoting something that belongs to Toho for someone other than Toho's benefit. I mean, there's sites out there with tons of Toho material watermarked and hosted by people who don't own any of it. Web traffic must generate some income, if only to maintain itself; income that Toho doesn't see. Weird how outrage gets so cherry picked.
For me, it's the combination of Disappointment (following the self-promotion, that this isn't a legitimate Godzilla 1985 release) and Insult (the bootlegger's foul-mouthed responses to the fanbase's warnings over the C&D), that has turned my curiosity into Schadenfreude. Had Riggan Rose not responded to Toho's lawyer (and to fellow g-fans like kaiju no kami) with gross insult, I would have remained empathetic to his project.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Captain Aktion wrote:It's odd to me that there's this much drama over a site promoting something that belongs to Toho for someone other than Toho's benefit. I mean, there's sites out there with tons of Toho material watermarked and hosted by people who don't own any of it. Web traffic must generate some income, if only to maintain itself; income that Toho doesn't see. Weird how outrage gets so cherry picked.
The business world is one that rarely makes sense. I'm sure Toho simply targeting the most visible and blatant of such stuff, which it's always done in the past. Protecting their copyright and whatnot. If those other sites were to go around flaunting their stuff like the fan made blu-ray did, we might be seeing more of this.

And as G1985 said, the reason there's so much drama about this one specific thing is because again, the guy flaunted it around like he was king of the world, delivering to the poor folks what Toho hadn't given. Toho's C/D comes in, and he retaliates very, very, VERY poorly, trying to suppress it and having everything blow up in his face. It's like an indy game developer trying to suppress bad reviews of their game on Steam by banning those who speak ill of it or mocking reviewer's videos; You are only digging yourself a bigger grave, and all that news and attention you will get won't be pretty. You'd be better off just laying low and not causing such a huge stir.

And a reminder, not to anyone in particular, but just in general: Let's keep things calm and keep the fires down. We don't want any flame baiting and insults thrown around based on your support of this project or not, after all.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Yep, it's done. here is what it now reads on Twitter on they're Info Card.
Tribute account to the film, Godzilla 1985. Hoping we get a North American release in HD.
No more Project G or Team G anywhere on their page and most of they're posts have been deleted all except for two.
Godzilla

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Giratina93 wrote:And as G1985 said, the reason there's so much drama about this one specific thing is because again, the guy flaunted it around like he was king of the world, delivering to the poor folks what Toho hadn't given. Toho's C/D comes in, and he retaliates very, very, VERY poorly, trying to suppress it and having everything blow up in his face....You'd be better off just laying low and not causing such a huge stir.

And a reminder, not to anyone in particular, but just in general: Let's keep things calm and keep the fires down. We don't want any flame baiting and insults thrown around based on your support of this project or not, after all.
Consider me rebuffed. Thank you, and thanks to Captain Aktion, for being level-headed voices of reason around here!
g2vd wrote:Yep, it's done. here is what it now reads on Twitter on their Info Card.
Tribute account to the film, Godzilla 1985. Hoping we get a North American release in HD.
No more Project G or Team G anywhere on their page and most of their posts have been deleted all except for two.
Glad to see he's started taking Toho seriously. It would be classy if he makes an apology to all the g-fans who tried to warn him.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Giratina93 wrote: If those other sites were to go around flaunting their stuff like the fan made blu-ray did, we might be seeing more of this.

Y'mean, like this one: http://www.tohokingdom.com/media.htm ?
Giratina93 wrote:and he retaliates very, very, VERY poorly, trying to suppress it and having everything blow up in his face. It's like an indy game developer trying to suppress bad reviews.
Damn. That kind of situation sounds really, really familiar to me but I'm not sure where I've run into that...*shrug*

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Giratina93 wrote: If those other sites were to go around flaunting their stuff like the fan made blu-ray did, we might be seeing more of this.

I'm fairly certain the main difference between those and this would-be bootleg DVD/Blu-Ray is that those are all fan-made and free. There's no profit being made off of those. Much like how fans can post their artwork on various mediums on the internet (Deviantart, tumblr etc).
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Staircase Kitty wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:

I'm fairly certain the main difference between those and this would-be bootleg DVD/Blu-Ray is that those are all fan-made and free. There's no profit being made off of those. Much like how fans can post their artwork on various mediums on the internet (Deviantart, tumblr etc).
Correct. Companies can actually go after fan art and stuff under the title of "protecting our property", but you don't see Toho or Sega or Universal going after the likes. Why is that? Because it's not done to rake in cash. It's just not worth it to go after every piece of fan art, fan videos, fan games, etc. Unless they become so large and gain so much popularity and steam behind them, that said companies have no choice but to go after them to protect their own property (See Fighting is Magic, for those of you MLP fans who remember the sad fate of that fan game).
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Giratina93 wrote: Correct. Companies can actually go after fan art and stuff under the title of "protecting our property", but you don't see Toho or Sega or Universal going after the likes. Why is that? Because it's not done to rake in cash. It's just not worth it to go after every piece of fan art, fan videos, fan games, etc. Unless they become so large and gain so much popularity and steam behind them, that said companies have no choice but to go after them to protect their own property (See Fighting is Magic, for those of you MLP fans who remember the sad fate of that fan game).
Bullshit. Do some more research.

You don't have to make any money off of the use of a copyrighted product; it belongs to the copyrighter and they are the bottom line when it comes to ANY use of it. ANY use outside of their express consent is infringement and liable to legal action. There are exceptions made for parody or educational material, but we're not talking about those. We're talking about images, specifically, and the legality of use.

The images watermarked on the main site cannot possibly be construed as parody. What they might be misconstrued as, since they are labeled and hosted as such, belonging NOT to Toho, but to this website. Which is infringement and is illegal.

I'm glad you brought up fan-art. It's not legal to sell, monetize, or use in promotion of your other product. This site is certainly using Toho material to raise its own profile and, who's kidding who? Site traffic generates some revenue for someone. The reality of why these things aren't acted on more is that the legal system hasn't caught up to the internet and all of its nooks and crannies yet. They have to prove that they lost something due to the other parties use of their product and that is very difficult to do.

But theft of work, especially claiming ownership after the theft, is pretty clearly on the foul side of morality, I'd say, regardless of legality.

How about this scenario: Toho Kingdom puts up a bunch of Matt Frank's artwork and puts their watermark on them. Neither of them have any claim to ownership of anything with Godzilla depicted on it, but...

...I'm pretty sure that we'd all call foul if the site did that but scads and scads of concept art culled and stolen from who knows how many books, books that had to pay for the publication of said art, we all just act like that's totally acceptable. Check my signature; it is explicitly stated that the site isn't affiliated with Toho, yet...

Yet, I can't help but feel like...nah, KNOW that if Toho Kingdom had found the pics first, they'd have slapped a watermark on them and taken the scoop.

All the high-ground moralizing can't negate that TK has been pissing in the pool for years and years.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Godzilla2016
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Godzilla2016 »

All the high-ground moralizing can't negate that TK has been pissing in the pool for years and years.
Why exactly are you here? What exactly is your end goal here, Akky? Do you hope to accomplish something? Or just looking for more ammo for your Hugbox on Tumblr?

Godzilla2016
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Godzilla2016 »

Why exactly are you here? What exactly is your end goal here, Akky? Do you hope to accomplish something? Or just looking for more ammo for your Hugbox on Tumblr?

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^Got a twitchy posting finger, huh, Mr. Alt Accounts Just For Harrassment. What's your goal?

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Godzilla2016
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Godzilla2016 »

Captain Aktion wrote:^Got a twitchy posting finger, huh, Mr. Alt Accounts Just For Harrassment. What's your goal?
You'll know when it eventually happens. Won't be with this account, however. Don't worry. ;)

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Giratina93 wrote:It's just not worth it to go after every piece of fan art, fan videos, fan games, etc. Unless they become so large and gain so much popularity and steam behind them, that said companies have no choice but to go after them to protect their own property (See Fighting is Magic, for those of you MLP fans who remember the sad fate of that fan game).
I remember the flap over Fighting Is Magic. Putting aside the massive legal issues for the moment, I thought Fighting Is Magic was an inspired idea and showed promise as a marketable product. The chief problem was IMO that the entire draw is playing as MLPs in a fighting game (similar to the attraction of Nintendo characters beating the snot out of each other in Super Smash Bros). When Hasbro's C&D took away those licensed characters, the game stopped being unique and marketable.
Last edited by G1985 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Godzilla2016 wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:^Got a twitchy posting finger, huh, Mr. Alt Accounts Just For Harrassment. What's your goal?
You'll know when it eventually happens. Won't be with this account, however. Don't worry. ;)

"Yeah well, meet me out by the flag-pole after school meanie!"

*shaking my fucking head*

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Junkerde is better than you at making Dupe accounts. Hail Junkerde King of Altlantis 8-)

Anyeay, I wonder what shall happen next for the Twitter Account it'll probably be deleted soon.
Godzilla

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

g2vd wrote:I wonder what shall happen next for the Twitter Account it'll probably be deleted soon.
The website no longer has any text on it, but still shows the "sleeping Godzilla" background image. There were a couple of new tweets (but not by him) on his Twitter account feed earlier today, acknowledging the shutdown:
DinoGojiraGuy ‏@DinoGojiraGuy · 10 hours ago
@Godzilla1985HD @ShoutFactory @MPcherkowsky whats going on, one of the FB pages I follow is really mad about this
whats going on
M. P. Cherkowsky ‏@MPcherkowsky · 3 hours ago
@DinoGojiraGuy, @Godzilla1985HD tried to illegally release GODZILLA 1985 on blu ray, using their own variant of @ShoutFactory's logo.
DinoGojiraGuy ‏@DinoGojiraGuy · 3 hours ago
@MPcherkowsky @Godzilla1985HD @ShoutFactory oh, did not know that
speaking of which, WHY ISN'T THERE A G1985 BLURAY YET!!!

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Not sure why anyone would be surprised that ADVERTISING the fact you're going to illegally be distributing Toho's property rubbed them the wrong way......
SAVE_US.GDZ