Hallelujah! (Childhood VHS Collection Recovered)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
terrypierson
Interpol Agent

Hallelujah! (Childhood VHS Collection Recovered)

Post by terrypierson »

I've been a Godzilla fan my entire life. My earliest memories are composed of watching the movies at my grandparents house and playing Godzilla with friends in school.

"Entire life" is a little misleading however. I lost all interest in the big G entirely during my teenage years.

A few years ago I remember dismissively telling my mom to "just get rid of" all of my Godzilla VHS I had as a kid.

As a born again G-Fan that careless decision has haunted and horrified me. There has been weeping and gnashing of teeth.
I even went so far as to go to the local Goodwill and Salvation Army where they were most likely to have gone to to try and track down what I could (years after the fact-that wasn't happening).

Long story short, my faith in existence (:p) has been bolstered with my recent (and random) rediscovery of my entire collection snuggled comfortably in a bag just chilling behind my couch.

Hallelujah!

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Re: Hallelujah! (Childhood VHS Collection Recovered)

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I can't imagine what it must've felt like the moment you found that bag behind the couch :D

Seems like a lot of people lose interest in stuff during their teen years. Most likely due to peer pressure of having to abandon "childish" things d:
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Jeff
Ronin

Post by Jeff »

Wow! Impressive collection, glad you found it back! :huge:

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I am fortunately in that I never discarded my VHS. In fact my Godzilla VHS will be the only ones I retain once "The Great Purge" is over. Your HB Godzilla VHS looks like it has seen better days though :lol: . I used to have that one also, but discarded it when volume 1 of the DVD came out. It is probably the only Godzilla related item on VHS I would ever willingly part with. But the rest are good saves for nostalgia, escpecially 1985 which currently has no DVD in North America, and Biollante who's DVD wont be out until *tennatively* end of this year.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

MY interest in giant monsters SKYROCKETED when I hit the teens - though that's due more to the internet.

That's a nice collection. I have a few of the same tapes myself; they may be obsolete, but they sure do carry nostalgia.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Your copy of Godzilla 1985 is faded on the front too?

Was it a rental copy that you bought? I got mine when my local video store was closing and they were selling off their stock of VHS, DVD, and games. I also luckily got Godzilla: Monster of Monsters then too.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe EVERY copy of Godzilla 1985 released by New World was as a rental only, and as you said copies were obtained as Video stores went OOB. However it wasn't until later when Star Maker & Anchor Bay released it on VHS to the personal consumer.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

GojiraDesu
Ronin

Post by GojiraDesu »

You must have really liked Godzilla vs. Megalon; you have four copies of it.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Which one is the VHS that is ripped to shreds?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

^ Its "The Firebird" episode 1 of the Hanna-Barbara Godzilla cartoon series (see my first post in this thread)

terrypierson
Interpol Agent

Post by terrypierson »

The ripped one is indeed the HB Godzilla. And I do seem to remember getting 1985 from a video store.

vs Megalon is definitely not my favorite :p. Funny how that happened.

I'm just glad most of them are in pretty good shape as the awesome box art and nostalgia factor are really what they're worth to me.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

terrypierson wrote:"Entire life" is a little misleading however. I lost all interest in the big G entirely during my teenage years.
Same here, my interest began when I was 2, ended when I was 12 and wasnt rekindled until just last year when I was 21. Like you, I had a bunch of Godzilla tapes stuffed in the attic, which I found last summer when I helped my parents move. My collection is a similar size (about one copy per film), though mostly late 90's releases as opposed to the earlier ones of yours. I was really excited to dig em up, along with some old TM and Bandai figures from way back when.

Ah I love nostalgia. Reconnecting with my inner-child is the main reason why I'm once again part of the fandom.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?