Question about the Tristar GvKG/G&M dvd...

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
synthfiendx5
Ronin

Question about the Tristar GvKG/G&M dvd...

Post by synthfiendx5 »

I was wondering if anyone knows if the fullscreen Godzilla vs King Ghidorah/Godzilla and Mothra dvd is presented in Open-Matte or if the films are the pan and scan versions...
THOSE SOUNDS... COULD BE IMITATED

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Re: Question about the Tristar GvKG/G&M dvd...

Post by Tamura »

The '80s and '90s films were hard-matted, so open-matte versions don't exist. The Tristar DVDs are pan-n-scan.

synthfiendx5
Ronin

Post by synthfiendx5 »

thank you... that really stinks... I have the hk laser so I can watch it in widescreen, but the quality is subpar.
THOSE SOUNDS... COULD BE IMITATED

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I believe the streaming version of VS. MOTHRA might be a different aspect ratio than the version seen on VHS and DVD (it also oddly features the Toho logo). It's actually back up on Crackle after having been taken down for a while.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Goji wrote:I believe the streaming version of VS. MOTHRA might be a different aspect ratio than the version seen on VHS and DVD (it also oddly features the Toho logo). It's actually back up on Crackle after having been taken down for a while.
I believe you are correct. Also, the title screen has a much better English caption than the video generated ones that were on those prior versions.

Could this perhaps mean that Sony is slowly replacing them to prep for a potential rerelease? Questions, questions...
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

One wonders, though none of the others seem to have been rehabbed this way. GvsKG and GvsMG2 still appear to be from the same materials as the VHS and DVD releases, while GvsSG and GvsD have actually been replaced by the International versions complete with the awful superimposed English title cards, which is kind of a step in the wrong direction if you ask me.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:One wonders, though none of the others seem to have been rehabbed this way. GvsKG and GvsMG2 still appear to be from the same materials as the VHS and DVD releases, while GvsSG and GvsD have actually been replaced by the International versions complete with the awful superimposed English title cards, which is kind of a step in the wrong direction if you ask me.
As awful as those look, I hope that Sony releases those versions on DVD/Blu-Ray, if they ever re-release these titles, that is. It gives those of us who collect different versions of these films a chance to own something new. Besides, if you want the true Japanese versions, you can order the Toho R2s, the Madmans, the Universe Lasers, etc.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Pan-and-scanned presentation aside, Sony's releases are the best looking transfers of those films. The sharpness and colours are better than that of the HDTV by Toho.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

CTHimes wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:One wonders, though none of the others seem to have been rehabbed this way. GvsKG and GvsMG2 still appear to be from the same materials as the VHS and DVD releases, while GvsSG and GvsD have actually been replaced by the International versions complete with the awful superimposed English title cards, which is kind of a step in the wrong direction if you ask me.
As awful as those look, I hope that Sony releases those versions on DVD/Blu-Ray, if they ever re-release these titles, that is. It gives those of us who collect different versions of these films a chance to own something new. Besides, if you want the true Japanese versions, you can order the Toho R2s, the Madmans, the Universe Lasers, etc.
Same here. Nothing wrong with some variation. Almost all the official Heisei DVDs in the world are from Toho's DVDs, so it's not like Sony DVD/BDs of the international versions would suddenly supplant everything else in the market.

Also, personally, I find the optical text in the international prints far better-looking than the cheap, video-generated text in Tristar's versions. Aside from the appalling title cards, the international versions look more like real films. They're uncut, too, which is also a plus.